• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Nikon Fieldscope ED 82 (1 Viewer)

Pancho85

Hi all,

in few days I will get a Nikon Fieldscope ED82, but I can choose the eyepiece, between the 25-56x MC, or the 75x WF.

The thing is that maybe (it's not sure) I can get the Nikon ED50 as well with the 13-30x MC (the same than the 25.56x for the ED 82), so I don't know if it's better to have both with the 13-30x, and the 25-56x, or if it will be interesting to have the 75x, and just change the eyepiece with the ED50 when needed.

What would you do?

Thanks guys!

I have the ED82, but I know nothing about the 25-56x zoom. Why not get the 25-75x zoom for the ED82 instead if you want as high magnification as 75x (the eyepiece will be a 13-40x on the ED50)!?

If you only can choose between the 25-56x zoom and the fixed 75x I would recommend you to choose the zoom. It is more flexible than the other one.

Last edited:
Hello
both the MC 13-30x (25-56x on the ED82) and the MCII 13-40x (25-75x) zooms can mutually be used on the ED50 and the ED 82. The 13-30x was and is still offered together with the smaller ED50 more frequently than with the other zoom MCII.
I have almost all the fixed Nikon eyepieces (amongst MCs and DSs) not the zooms, but suggest you to choose a zoom rather than the fixed 75x. I do have the 75x MC and find myself to use it very rarely and occasionally for faraway perched or nesting birds from a distance (optically it is outstanding).
I carry it in the backpack as the 30x DS the is the standard eyepiece with my ED82A.
Instead if you look for a "allround" fixed eyepiece the 38x MC (20x on the ED50) is perfect but you fail to find it as new with ease nowadays.

Last edited:
I agree with the others that it would be better to get the 25-75x zoom than the 75x. However, if you don't have that choice, and you really are going to get the 25-56 with an ED50, I guess I'd favor acquiring the 75x rather than having two 25-56 zooms. Really, the better choice for the 82ED is one of the 30x fixed eyepieces (several models) along with the 25-75x zoom. Beyond that, the 50x fixed is very nice and useful (and excellent as a 27x on the ED50 as well). I have the 75x and only use it for some astronomy viewing, never for birds (FOV and DOF are too narrow for comfort).

--AP

Finally I will get the 25-56x, but I will sell it and buy another one, the 25-75x as you said, so I will have 2 different lenses.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back