• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron MM3 50mm vs. Vortex Razor HD 50mm (1 Viewer)

drcam

I have narrowed down my choice for a 50mm portable spotter to two models - either an Opticron MM3 or a Vortex Razor.

I have not been able to look through either of them as no store here in Australia carries any of them; my main goal is portability on interstate and overseas trips and a bit of casual stargazing.

If any of you have an opinion one way or the other please give me your views here.

The opticron seems to be the best 50mm in the market

The vortex can fit swarovski zooms. Imagine the field of view with the 25-50x.

But id say the mm3 mainly for the price.

I've not had any experience with Opticron so can't comment on the MM3, however on the Vortex, the zoom eyepiece on the 50mm is different to the zoom eyepiece on the 65 and 85mm spotters.

on the 50mm, the eyepiece is not interchangeable with anything else in the Vortex range. You also CANT use the Swaro eyepieces on this particular scope.

I found there to be a sufficient enough difference in the quality of the eyepiece on the 50mm vs the 65mm to go for the 65mm. No issues with the scope bodies though.

Just my 2c worth.

cheers
Jeelan

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back