• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It's a Laughing Gull, no it's not it's a Desert Wheatear! (1 Viewer)

DJW

200th Bird.

This story goes back to the beginning of the year when I made a rash promise to my partner that I would take her out for an expensive meal when my UK life list reached 200. ( I had seen about 160 species at the time). What with work commitments etc I do not go birding as much as I would like but gradually the numbers increased and at the end of October the total had reached 196. At this point the lady pointed out that I was getting near to 200 and she was anxious to go for the meal before the restaurants started to fill up with xmas parties.

Right, I thought, lets make an effort.

Sunday 30th October

Went to Devizes to see the rediculously confiding Grey Phalorope. Most of the time it was so close I couldn't even focus my binoculars on it. Easy. Number 197.

Saturday 5th November

Read lots of reports of an easy bird to see on the feeders at Pulborough Brooks. A NUTHATCH (I kid you not but I have never seen one). Within 1 minute of arrivng at location bird duly appeared. Number 198.

Saturday 6th November

Heavy rain all day, stayed in bed!

Saturday 12th November

No other commitments so 2 days dedicated to birding.

A potentially very easy tick. Drive to North Norfolk for Pink-footed Goose.
Docking and Holkham - thousands of 'em. Despite extensive searching no White-fronted to hit the magic 200 so settle for Number 199.

Saturday 12th November

One to go.

Studied Birdguides and decided Laughing Gull was my best option. A regular at Gosport and a roaming individual around Weymouth. Gosport nearer so set off for Walpole Park. Arrived to find a number of birders scanning a typically active and noisy flock of Black Headeds but apparently no sign of the Laughing for at least 2 hours. Checked with Birdguides and no sign of individual at Weymouth. Decided I didn't like this location because of an extremely large flock of streetwise Mute swans who assumed that any member of the race Homo Sapiens was a reliable source of bread and proceded to beg en masse in a somewhat aggressive manner. At this point modern technology kicked in and a text alert on my mobile from Birdguides told of the presence of a Desert Wheatear on the beach at Hayling Island.

Hayling Island - can't be far away. More technology - set the satellie navigation for Beach Road only 19.8 miles. Off I went.

Arrived at location and saw 30 or 40 birders on the beach. Immediately located the bird and had stunning views as it fed on insects without being at all bothered by its crowd of admirers. Number 200 - mission accomplished. (Hence the title of the thread)

One of the conditions for the meal was that we would eat at a pub/restaurant whose name had a birding theme. I was thinking along the lines of The Swan Inn or something cheap and cheerful for the celebratory meal but my lateral thinking partner had decided on The Norfolk in Enfield because Norfolk is the county I vanish to at every opportunity. Mmmm it happens to be the most expensive eatery for miles around!

Feeling a bit glum today because I am trapped in my office reading frantic reports of a Grey-cheeked Thrush less than 10 miles away.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back