• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conference Birding: Budapest October 2018 (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
Conference Birding: Budapest October 2018

For this trip my flight timing worked well and I was able to enjoy a full day’s birding with Zsombor of Hungarian Birdwatching in the grasslands and fishponds less than an hour from the airport at Kiskunsag, and three trips to Gellert Park – a beautiful park set on a craggy hill above the west bank of the Danube made absolutely wonderful by the autumnal leaves and the fabulous view across the river and over Budapest.

We started well with a fine male Black Redstart even before leaving the airport carpark and a couple of flocks of Woodpigeons totally some 70 birds were heading determinedly south -clearly on migration. Other roadside birds on the way south to Kiskunsag included a couple of Great Egrets, a couple each of Common Buzzard and Kestrel, several Hooded Crows, and a Collared Dove.

We started our birding proper on a small hill overlooking a fishpond close to Bugyi with calling Eurasian Skylark and Crested Lark, flyover Red-throated Pipit, the first of many Chiffchaffs, and on the water Great Crested Grebe, Great Cormorant, a hundred or so Mallard and the first of eight Marsh Harriers on what turned out to be a very good day for raptors.

The big win here was finding a wonderful flock of 25 Stone Curlews in the fallow fields close to the hill. I thoroughly enjoyed them as my only previous sighting was a yellow eye in a tiny head about a kilometer away at Weeting Heath in 1988. They allowed a reasonably close approach and good scope views.

The grasslands on the other side of the pond held a scattering of Northern Lapwings, a loose flock of Eurasian Starlings, a distant Corn Bunting and the highlight bird of the day a distant group of eight Great Bustards, which eventually showed closer at the end of the day. More quality here included two White-tailed Eagles and an Imperial Eagle circling together, enabling a good comparison of their respective structures – neater and slender-looking wings on Imperial and more bulging inner primaries on White-tailed being easy to see when both birds were together. There were also four or five Buzzards, including a few that initially looked promising, but didn’t make the grade as Long-legged Buzzard. The most numerous raptor was Eurasian Kestrel – we must have seen fifteen or twenty during the day. We also had two Hen Harriers.

A little further south we found the first of three Great Grey Shrikes – newly arrived for the winter. It almost immediately swooped down from its perch and began wrestling with a large insect in the middle of the road in front of us – nice! Another watchpoint on a hill delivered two more distant Great Bustards as we had lunch, but not much else.

A post-lunch coffee stop in a wooded village provided a stakeout for Syrian Woodpecker, which performed excellently in response to playback – zipping overhead and perching in plain view allowing good views of the head pattern (no connecting black line under the ear coverts between the moustachial stripe and the nape) which provides the easiest differentiation from Great Spotted Woodpecker. Other birds here included a gang of Rooks in a roadside tree, several flyover European Jackdaws and a Northern Sparrowhawk.

Our final stop for the day was an area of fishponds and reed-filled channels. October is frankly not the best time here as the wonderful profusion of summer breeding species – among them Bee-eater, Roller, Little Bittern, Squacco Heron, Red-footed Falcon, Moustached, Great Reed, Barred and River Warblers had already left. There were several Stonechats still around and a single Whinchat – another bird I haven’t seen for a couple of decades.

There was however a range of waders including 60-odd Dunlin, a couple of Little Stint, Greenshank, Redshank, Spotshank, Green and Wood Sand, Little Ringed Plover twenty or so Common Snipe, half-a-dozen Grey Plovers and a solitary Ruff. Other birds included several Caspian Gulls, more Marsh Harriers, three Moorhen, a Coot, three Water Rails and seen from the tower hide, a couple of Greylag Goose on the deck, which gave much better views than the hundred or so migrating birds that had flown over in a couple of flocks earlier in the day. Other waterfowl included three Mute Swans a couple of feeding flocks of Shoveler, a few Common Teal and single Eurasian Wigeon and Tufted Duck.

My personal highlight here was a Sedge Warbler that I pished out of the reeds where it showed wonderfully for a minute or so, allowing Zsombor to confirm that it was not in fact the hoped-for Moustached Warbler – which has a darker head and a longer, almost locustella-like tail and generally richer brown upperparts compared to the clearly olive–toned Sedge Warbler. Other passerines included several Common Reed Buntings, Tree Sparrows and heard but sadly unseen, both Penduline Tit and Bearded Reedling. At the other end of the size scale were the herd of the wonderful Grey Cattle of the region.

On the way back the late afternoon light wonderfully illuminated a Great Bustard glowing rufous and white in a field of lush green alfalfa shoots. Even better were a flock of eight birds that were now much closer to the road and finally allowed a reasonable photograph – a fine finale to an excellent day.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC01882 Great Bustard @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01882 Great Bustard @ Budapest.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC01824 White-tailed and  Eastern Imperial Eagles @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01824 White-tailed and Eastern Imperial Eagles @ Budapest.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC01840 Syrian Woodpecker @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01840 Syrian Woodpecker @ Budapest.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC01846 Kiskunsag fishponds @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01846 Kiskunsag fishponds @ Budapest.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC01868 Grey Cattle @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01868 Grey Cattle @ Budapest.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 26
Thanks Nick - I certainly enjoyed it and definitely see the potential for returning in the spring/summer for the breeding birds. Still I'm not complaining as work brings me here and enables me to have a taste of a place I've never previously visited.

During my three days of meetings my birding was constrained to two dawn sessions and two late afternoon. Based at the decent but unexciting Mercure Korona my best nearby option was the wonderful Gellert Hill Park – established on a rocky promontory just ten minutes walk away across the Danube. Quite apart from the birds the park was decked out in a wonderful palette of early autumn colours, with the full range of verdant greens, vibrant yellows, an amazing apricot orange on one round-leafed tree as a few softer browns of the already dessicated fallen leaves.

The birds here included common parkland species such as European Blackbirds (much smaller and more musical than the Chinese Blackbirds that visit HK in winter), a few Robins and Black Redstarts, very good numbers of Great Tit, plus Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tits, including a rather white-headed bird that hinted at some caudatus parentage, A couple of Jays and Hooded Crows, with the quality provided by Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, but not the Middle Spotted Woodpecker I was really hoping for. I also picked up a few migrants – the majority of which were Chiffchaffs, but also a couple of male Blackcaps each day, two Common Redstarts on the first morning and three Firecrests on the second.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC01891 European Blackbird @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01891 European Blackbird @ Budapest.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01892 Dawn from Gellert Hill @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01892 Dawn from Gellert Hill @ Budapest.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC01933 Hooded Crow @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01933 Hooded Crow @ Budapest.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01966 Eurasian Nuthatch @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01966 Eurasian Nuthatch @ Budapest.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01920 Eurasian Jay @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01920 Eurasian Jay @ Budapest.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 17
I had better luck on my final afternoon on Margit-szibet – an island in the Danube that had been turned into another wonderful park with the largest trees I’ve ever seen in Europe. Once again my targets were woodpeckers and I did pretty well first finding my second lifer of the trip a Middle-Spotted Woodpecker which showed well enough for a positive identification, before scuttling round the trunk and then disappearing into thin air. This was followed by a Syrian Woodpecker, two Green Woodpeckers and at least three Great Spotted Woodpeckers, but sadly not the monster Black Woodpecker, which is also reported from here.

The site did hold more Eurasian Nuthatches than I’ve ever seen at one time – I must have had a dozen different birds in the course of my three hour visit, including a trio that explored the stone walls of an old church and got me dreaming about Wallcreepers and Rock Nuthatches. There was once again more Great Tits than you could shake a stick at and the odd Blue Tit, plus my only Wren of the trip. I also enjoyed watching European Jackdaws and Hooded Crows bathing in the river – each of the former with the pale iris that distinguishes it from the all-black eye of the Daurian Jackdaws that show up in Hong Kong from time to time.

In summary this was a nice autumn introduction to birding in Central Europe. The sun shone and the winds barely shivered the leaves throughout my four days. It was good to connect with some birds I haven't seen for decades, and to finish up with two woodpecker lifers only added to the enjoyment.

As usual I'd be happy to answer any requests for further info.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC01978 Eurasian Nuthatch @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01978 Eurasian Nuthatch @ Budapest.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC01994 Great Spotted Woodpecker @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01994 Great Spotted Woodpecker @ Budapest.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01987 Jackdaw and Hooded Crows @ Budapest.jpg
    DSC01987 Jackdaw and Hooded Crows @ Budapest.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hungary is very under-rated in my opinion, nice report.

Of the countries that I have visited, currently sits at position 109 out of the 110 in terms of countries that I would like to revisit.

But cracking report as ever from our roving conference attendee :) Steady on, you might make it to Vilnius next !

Last edited:
Of the countries that I have visited, currently sits at position 109 out of the 110 in terms of countries that I would like to revisit.

But cracking report as ever from our roving conference attendee :) Steady on, you might make it to Vilnius next !

Ok: I'll fall for it......what's at 110th?

Thank Jos

I bite too - my guess is Mauritius

... and the next meeting of this particular committee is awfully close - Helsinki - in April.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back