• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not eating saflower seed (1 Viewer)

dontrinko

The birds are Not eating safflower seed but gobbling up the sunflower seed.
Mostly sparrows at this time. They ate both earlier this year.
I am putting the seeds in my gravel drive. don

I've seen a similar distaste for safflower seeds. For the modest difference in cost per pound, I've switched exclusively to shelled sunflower seeds to feed the welcome guests (cardinals, finches, nuthatches, chickadees, woodpeckers, juncos, white-throated sparrows).

The birds that drain my safflower seed feeder are Chiickadees, Cardinals and Titmouse. They seem to really enjoy it.

I have never had any birds showing interest in safflower. I know some folks who say their birds do, but those are the folks trying to sell it to me, lol. I have tried numerous times over the years because squirrels, and starlings are not supposed to like it. But it never gets eaten. I have a nice mix now in a feeder that also contains safflower and every time it needs refilled, all the seeds are eaten, except for the safflower which always remains.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back