• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR WP 8x42 (and RSPB HG 7x42) (1 Viewer)

According to the Swift site it's 16mm. Still not that good, compared to the 19mm of the roof version.
Thanks, Ron. I got my information from Christophers, which I thought would be reliable. I suppose you'd have to believe the Swift site...

The 16mm eye relief, 682g weight and 55mm minimum IPD make them seem like a more promising prospect than the 12mm, 780g and 59mm on Christophers.

Michael

Thanks, Ron. I got my information from Christophers, which I thought would be reliable. I suppose you'd have to believe the Swift site...

The 16mm eye relief, 682g weight and 55mm minimum IPD make them seem like a more promising prospect than the 12mm, 780g and 59mm on Christophers.

Michael
Eye relief is short and one of two nagging problems with this model. The other is a bridge that is not stiff enough to prevent an imbalance between the oculars. Optically, it's superb.

...[SIZE=-1]I find myself picking up the HR WP most of the time now. But I don't think I'll ever find them comfortable...[/SIZE]
Having used these bins constantly for seven months now, I no longer notice any handling problem with them. What does trouble me occasionally is the smallish FOV. I do sometimes lose birds when trying to find them with the bins. An 8° FOV would help to make up for my deficiencies in this area.

I'm still being daily impressed and delighted by their performance, though, and I think they're the best quality-for-money you can find anywhere, even at the retail price of £190ish.

Michael

I so wanted to buy a pair of these when i changed my bins last year. Optically they are superb and the price!!! But they just didn't feel comfortable. I have a pair of the old HRs which i used for years and were very comfy. If only the new ones fit my hands better.
I suspect i might invest anyway and get used to them. Thay really are that good!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back