Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon PROSTAFF 7S Binoculars

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 31st May 2014, 14:49   #26
Samandag
Scan right to left, it's slower than scanning left to right and your brain takes in more detail

Here's some approximate rounded prices based on today's retail in Germany :

Nikon Prostaff 7S

8x30, Euros 189.00, USD 259.00, GBP 155.00
10x30, Euros 199.00, USD 270.00, GBP 160.00

8x42, Euros 239.00, USD 325.00, GBP 195.00
10x42, Euros 259.00, USD 355.00, GBP 210.00.

Prices sales tax inclusive for delivery in the EU, shipping added.

Equivalent dollar pricing would be sales tax (19%) deducted.

Hope that the quality is there.
Old Sunday 1st June 2014, 04:35   #27
marinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandag View Post
The P7S is now shipping from Japan.
So is the 8x30 7S Japan made ?
Old Friday 6th June 2014, 11:48   #28
Samandag
Scan right to left, it's slower than scanning left to right and your brain takes in more detail

For those in the UK Clifton have the Nikon Prostaff 7S available for preorder :

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Niko...FF__Binoculars

P7S 8x30 189.00
P7S 10x30 209.00
P7S 8x42 229.00
P7S 10x42 249.00

For those shopping on price alone delivery from Hong Kong looks like the best option even with the taxes included. Second best, and a no-brainer with tax included, would be delivery from Germany.

Enoy the Summer !

Last edited by Samandag : Friday 6th June 2014 at 11:51.
Old Friday 6th June 2014, 12:01   #29
Samandag

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemaster View Post
So is the 8x30 7S Japan made ?

I haven't seen these but it's highly likely that they are made in China, and nothing wrong with that.

In this price bracket I (personally) don't put any cachet on 'made in Japan', you are just as likely to encounter rubbish from there as you are from anywhere else, and yes it happened to me recently !

Perhaps the new P7S are even better than the well received P7, we'll see.
Old Sunday 22nd June 2014, 14:49   #30
perterra

Anybody seen these yet? I notice Midway has them listed.
Old Sunday 22nd June 2014, 15:32   #31
ceasar

They aren't much different optically than the old Pro Staff 7. Hard to tell from the pictures how much the ergos have changed. The FOV has been expanded by a 1/2 degree. 6.3 to 6.8 on the 8x42.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 22nd June 2014, 17:22   #32
perterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
They aren't much different optically than the old Pro Staff 7. Hard to tell from the pictures how much the ergos have changed. The FOV has been expanded by a 1/2 degree. 6.3 to 6.8 on the 8x42.

Bob
I thought (hoped) maybe there was an optical improvement rather than an upgrade for marketings sake. I like the tacky feel of the Nikons.
Old Monday 23rd June 2014, 14:32   #33
marinemaster

New model 8x30, which Nikon did not have before in the Prostaff. It will likely sell well, I would guess. At $150 to $200 I think they are a good value. Hopefully the eye relief, is better, longer compared to M7 8x30.
Old Monday 23rd June 2014, 17:24   #34
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemaster View Post
New model 8x30, which Nikon did not have before in the Prostaff. It will likely sell well, I would guess. At $150 to $200 I think they are a good value. Hopefully the eye relief, is better, longer compared to M7 8x30.

The Nikon USA website shows them now but it says they aren't currently listed for sale. Very light weight. ER is still 15.4mm and their FOV is a narrow 6.5 (10x30 is 6, same ER.) Nikon's price is $189.95. They should go for less than that. I think these are aimed for sale at places like Dick's Sporting Goods and such.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/N...F-7S-8x30.html

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Monday 23rd June 2014 at 17:29.

Old Monday 11th August 2014, 15:01   #35
marinemaster

I ordered one Ill report when I get it. It may be a while before they ship so may have to wait.
Old Monday 11th August 2014, 22:37   #36
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandag View Post
I haven't seen these but it's highly likely that they are made in China, and nothing wrong with that.

In this price bracket I (personally) don't put any cachet on 'made in Japan', you are just as likely to encounter rubbish from there as you are from anywhere else, and yes it happened to me recently !

Perhaps the new P7S are even better than the well received P7, we'll see.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that." - J.S.

The P7s looks "like something with the body of a crab and the head of a social worker." - W.A.

Actually, the body looks like a cross between the P7 and the M5/7. 6.8* is better than 6.3* but I wish Nikon had pushed it all the way to 7* to meet my minimum AFOV requirement of 57*.

I've been too busy to check if my local Dick's Sporting Goods has them, they are not showing up on the store's website, but neither are the P7s and they do carry them or did, presumably the P7s replaced the P7.

Care to share what "rubbish" Japanese-made bin you bought?

Brock
Old Monday 1st September 2014, 16:12   #37
marinemaster

I got mine. They are good, a bit better eye relief compared to the 7. Very lightweight less fov compared to 7 but acceptable. The focus is good but i have to be exact to be in focus. I would say these are good entry level bins, really small for a 30mm bins and really handy.
Old Monday 1st September 2014, 17:59   #38
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post

Actually, the body looks like a cross between the P7 and the M5/7. 6.8* is better than 6.3* but I wish Nikon had pushed it all the way to 7* to meet my minimum AFOV requirement of 57*.

Brock
The new 8x30 P7S has a 6.5 FOV.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Niko...F-7S-8x30.html

Yes, that would have been a good idea make it 7. Sell it at $189.99 too, Nikons recommended price. Then if you decided to buy one you could complain about their bad edges.

By the way, the 10x30 P7S has a 6 FOV, (AFOV 55.3) or 315'@1000 yards almost up to your minimum AFOV.

The 10x42SE had a 6 FOV too. But its AFOV was 60, just over your minimum.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Niko...-SE-10x42.html

Bob

Old Tuesday 4th November 2014, 13:35   #39
cnick6
Registered Member

Cool Now in stock at B&H

The Prostaff 7s just came in stock at B&H:

10x42: $149.95
08x42: $156.95 (Not in stock)
10x30: $166.95
08x30: $156.95

Yes, these are "Made in China" models.
Old Tuesday 2nd December 2014, 23:06   #40
ivanf

performance compared to Monarch 5

I own a very cheap (uncoated 10x25) set of binoculars and I am in the market for a higher end like the Prostaff 7S. I have narrowed down my possible choices to the 7S and the Monarch 5.

It is my understanding that the clear advantages that the Monarch line had over the prostaff were:
  1. Dielectric Coating
  2. Extra-low Dispersion

However, I have noticed that now the new 7S are made with dielectric coating which is attributed for brighter viewing experience specially in low light.

The advantage that the PROSTAFF 7s has is that of slightly wider field of view 6.2 degrees vs 5.5 or so of the Monarch 5. I was leaning more towards the 7S especially if the CA is almost nonexistent because at such wider FOV, any movement while holding the binocs would be minimized when compared to the Monarch 5. I may give up the FOV if the image quality as far as contrast, color, clarity, and brightness is that much better on the Monarch.

When it comes to optics it seems ED is the biggest advantage offered by the Monarch 5, but my question is how big of a difference will the ED make for most of the cases if the optics appear to be about the same? I am unable to compare them side by side as no store carries it near by.

If you own a PROSTAFF 7s have you experienced Chromatic Aberration?

Thanks,

Ivan

Last edited by ivanf : Tuesday 2nd December 2014 at 23:46.
Old Wednesday 3rd December 2014, 01:26   #41
ceasar

Hi Ivan,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Just to clarify things, are you talking about comparing the Pro Staff 7S 8x30 with the Monarch 5 10 x42? The latter does have a field of view of 5.5 or 288' @ 1000 yards, ED glass and dielectric prisms. There is no 8x30 Monarch 5.

The Pro Staff 7S 8x30 does not have dielectric prisms according to the Nikon website.

You are right about the 8x30s being easier to hold steady than 10 x42s.

I haven't tried either one of these binoculars but I can't help but feel that either one of them would be a vast improvement over your un coated 10 x25 binoculars.

Do you find yourself unusually sensitive to CA? If so, go with the Monarch 5 but consider the 8x42 instead. It has a 6.3 FOV or 335'@1000 yards. It is on sale at Nikon now.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Niko...CH-5-8x42.html

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 3rd December 2014 at 01:38.

Old Wednesday 3rd December 2014, 09:07   #42
typo

Ivan,

Are you sure the Prostaff 7s has dielectric prism coatings? I saw mention of phase coating and multilayered antireflective coatings but no mention of the mirror coatings. I'm pretty sure the P7 was an aluminium based mirroring. I've only tried the P7s as the 10x30 and I strongly suspect that was aluminium mirrored too from the colour.

The outgoing P7 8x42 I liked a lot. Ok, it's colour presentation was not a rich as the Monarch range but I found it sharper in the centre which is more important to me. Longer binoculars will tend to have lower CA and to my eyes the full size were rather better than average in that regard for the price if not quite a match for the ED Monarchs.

As Bob said there is no compact M5, but the M7 8x30 would be my pick of the Prostaff/Monarch range, (It's much better than the P7s x30) however, the old P7 8x42 I found sharper than the Monarchs and to me that represents better value. I don't know how the 7s would compare, but I would guess it's worth a look too.

Good luck,

David
Old Wednesday 3rd December 2014, 15:55   #43
henry link

I noticed this chart at the Nikon Vision Co. site.

http://www.nikon.com/products/sporto...e_Chart_En.pdf

It suggests that the Prostaff 7S uses a lower quality multi-coating than the Monarchs and seems to confirm David's impression of aluminum mirror coating (since it's not specified to be dielectric or silver).

Last edited by henry link : Wednesday 3rd December 2014 at 16:03.
Old Wednesday 3rd December 2014, 16:33   #44
Samandag

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
I noticed this chart at the Nikon Vision Co. site.
Useful link, Henry, and thank you. Best wishes
Old Wednesday 3rd December 2014, 16:34   #45
typo

Nice find Henry.

David
Old Wednesday 3rd December 2014, 23:24   #46
ivanf

Wow thanks for your quick reply and thanks for welcoming me to the forums, ceasar.

I am considering the 10x42 for both PROSTAFF 7s and Monarch 5 based on pricing, not comparing directly based on FOV. I feel I may prefer the 10 magnification as I seem to be able to hold them steady and I normally hike with a tripod anyways if I ever need it. Maybe my inclination stems from the fact that I have only experienced 10X and never a 8X before so if I felt good with it why decrease it, but I am opened to anything. I know the main reason people go for 8X is for steadyness from what I have read. I also generally like to get closer.

I saw the dielectric coating on the BHPhoto website here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...binoculer.html which I am not sure if it is accurate now that brought up to my attention is not listed on nikon's own website.

As far as the binoculars I have right now. They are tiny and I cannot even line up both "sides" to make up one big circle. I feel I always have to close one eye to be able to see well . I find that one side is not focused as well and it tends to be blurry on the edges. It is a very cheap Simmons that I have.

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited by ivanf : Wednesday 3rd December 2014 at 23:33.
Old Wednesday 3rd December 2014, 23:29   #47
ivanf

Thanks for your reply, typo. I saw the dielectric coating on the BHPhoto site, but it appears to be a typo. I wish I could afford the M7 as it has a wider FOV, but my budget is between 7S and M5.

I looked at the Bushnells Ultra HD, but saw many reviews depicting quality control issues from some users that gave me some concern about them.

Last edited by ivanf : Wednesday 3rd December 2014 at 23:34.
Old Wednesday 3rd December 2014, 23:30   #48
ivanf

Fantastic. Thanks for posting the link, henry link. I was looking for something like that. The BHPhoto website suggested the dielectric coating, but I can clearly see was an error.

Last edited by ivanf : Wednesday 3rd December 2014 at 23:34.
Old Monday 8th December 2014, 02:49   #49
ivanf

Smile Tried them side by side with Monarchs

I have to say that I was leaning towards the Monarch 5 or 7 mostly based on specs, but after trying them side by side in the store I realized how great the P7S are.

The feel in my hands is great. They were a little longer than the monarch 5 10x42 and the grip is a little bit more comfortable for me. They seemed overall better when it came to the grip.

The focus knob or ring also felt better. The ring had more grip and it seemed somewhat smoother than the copy of the Monarch 5 I tried. I felt I was able to focus slightly easier.

I tried them both in store and I was not able to test thoroughly outside. I was able to focus both of them quickly and smoothly. The store had a sunroof and some items hanging from it and I was able to see Purple Fringing with the same intensity for both. I was surprised about this and expected it to be way less or not existent in the M5. I am not sure if it was not really fringing, but rather the "real" color when the outside light reflected and got combined with indoor light.

I also felt that the p7s were slightly more comfortable in between my eyes.

I tried some Leopold 8x42 to see if my holding was steadier and I felt it was about the same as far as shakiness goes. So getting a 8x would be primarily to gain wider FOV on the monarch line vs 10x.

Given that these ones would be my "first" good pair and intro into higher end binocs, I am wondering if I should go for p7s. I also am reasoning that later on I could give these ones full time to my wife and get the Monarchs :). The p7S fit my budget better as well. I would have to wait a little longer to get the M5.

The Monarchs are though so far better on paper with regards to ED and light transmission, but if light transmission difference is only less than 5% (silver vs dielectric), the more noticeable spec could be ED and I ask myself if for my initial uses the differences will be negligible I can't help but wonder if he P7S should be my final choice.

Thanks,

Ivan

Last edited by ivanf : Monday 8th December 2014 at 19:18.
Old Thursday 18th June 2015, 00:29   #50
NDhunter

This thread needs an update. I have recently purchased the 8x30 Prostaff 7S, and want to
give a small review of this binocular.

As noted above this is an updated Prostaff model and the S, means shorter than the original
Prostaff 42mm sizes.

There are things I like about the Prostaff 7, it has a nice, bright and contrasty view. What a nice
small binocular, Nikon does things right, with nice fit and finish and a very nice focuser.
We often hear about those that have used the Monarch 7 8x30, and I have not had a chance to
handle one of those. But, I have tested these for stray or direct light handling issues, and I find them
to do just fine.

Some specs. are a rather narrow FOV of 6.5*, with a view of 343' at 1,000 yds. Very nice and lightweight
only 14.6 oz. with nice armor and handling.
Allbinos has recently done a review of this model, so check it out if interested.
I agree with their findings.

These are found in the under $200. price range. Much more enjoyable to handle and use than any
high end 8x20 or 10x25 binocular that I have used.

My picture that is attached shows how small these are compared to a Zeiss 5x10 Miniquick, Leica 10x25
Trinovid, and a Swaro. 8x30 CL.
The CL does offer a better view, but it should at 5 times the price.

For those looking for a nice inexpensive 8x30, this one is one I will recommend.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1063_3.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	547845  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: