• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lyrebird To Become Threatened Species? (1 Viewer)

The superb lyrebird, famous for its ability to mimic almost any sound, may have plunged from being a common to a threatened species:

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-species-scale-bird-habitat-bushfires-emerges

It's not only just mimicry - they teach their young mimicked calls, which is why you can still hear trimphones** in the Australian bush, although they went out of general use in the mid-1980s, finally fallig from favour because they contained low-level radioactive illuminating components...
MJB
**Tone Ringing Illuminated Model

The superb lyrebird, famous for its ability to mimic almost any sound, may have plunged from being a common to a threatened species:

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-species-scale-bird-habitat-bushfires-emerges

Very sad news ..... not only for it's intrinsic beauty, but also because Lyrebirds play a key role in maintaining the health and fire resistance of forests.

I'm amazed that up until now they have been able to survive as well as they have - being under massive assault by Feral Foxes, Cats, Pigs, Goats, Deer, and Wild Dogs. Control of these will be paramount starting immediately - and I'm not quite sure that message is being heard loudly enough, quickly enough, or is being well funded enough. The carnage would already be well and truly underway .... :-C

Thinking about it I can't recall having heard a Lyrebird ever mimic an alarm call of other native birds - I'm thinking here particularly of the ubiquitous Noisey Miner and it's range of different alarm calls for various Birds of Prey, and also (I would imagine) the native Dingo ......

Perhaps they all have some sort of unwritten rule about not 'crying wolf' just to impress the ladyeez ! thus ensuring that the sanctity of the alarm call can be relied upon ...... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

A case of needs must when the devil drives, I suppose, Chosun.

There's so much bad news in Oz at the moment, something nice happening makes for a pleasant change. Heartwarming. A kiss for luck for their survival.
The most I have ever seen together in the wild is two - male and female.

Seeing ~20 at once must have been quite something !
Amazing intelligence and survival instincts.

Wishing them safe travels and lots of juicy morsels in the coming months :t:

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back