• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It was FREE...can it be used? (1 Viewer)

SDB777

While working on my deer leases food plots this year I was offered a few items in exchange for my tractor/plotmaster/labor. I would have done it for free, but they insisted.
I picked this: http://www.barska.com/ad10350.html
I have an older Kodak C330 Point-n-Shoot laying around. I stuck the camera lense up to the spotting scope and didn't see much vignetting(a little on the corners-but that's what cropping is for).

#1: Where would I find an adaptor to hold the camera?
#2: Would this be good enough to get me 'in the door' and learning?
#3: Has anyone used this spotting scope? What were your results?

Scott (free is good on my budget) B

With the amount of informative replies, I'm guessing this would be better just as a low grade spotter. Got one of those cheap adaptors coming, only hope it will fit somewhat correctly.

Scott (completely amazed) B

Hey Scott,

Sorry you got no replies.
First thing to do is try to hand-hold the camera in front of the scope and take a picture. Check if you see vignetting (the black circle around what you see) and what happens when you zoom in. And try to take a picture. Although getting sharp photo's takes practice and patience, this will give you a rough idea about the possibilities.

Bear in mind that it's a rather low budget scope and an old camera. But if you can get good pictures and get the hang of it, you'll be amazed how much fun it is. And we have a saying in Holland that you should try cycling by practising on an old bike ;-)

Hope this helps, and let us know how you get on!
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back