• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European stonechat or Siberian stonechat? (1 Viewer)

maist

Dear friends,
What kind of stonechat is it? Perhaps Siberian one? What do you think? We have a lot of European stonechats in winter but not Siberians.
I captured him near Yarkon river, Tel-Aviv
Thank you for assistance

Attachments

• 023 (1).jpg
    023 (1).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 118
This is not enough to confirm it as a maurus. Ssome of the breeding males in NE Germany just look like this bird. Again, do you have more pictures?

Dear friends,
What kind of stonechat is it? Perhaps Siberian one? What do you think? We have a lot of European stonechats in winter but not Siberians.
I captured him near Yarkon river, Tel-Aviv
Thank you for assistance

As you had the bird in the hand, I do hope you measured the wing. If so any doubts as to this bird's origin would be significantly reduced. Pictures are subject to an almost infinite deviation from the true colour whereas measurements, taken by properly trained hands, are subject to far less deviation.

As you had the bird in the hand, I do hope you measured the wing. If so any doubts as to this bird's origin would be significantly reduced. Pictures are subject to an almost infinite deviation from the true colour whereas measurements, taken by properly trained hands, are subject to far less deviation.

I think the 'capture' was metaphorical in this case - photographic rather than literal? Perhaps the OP could confirm.

RB

Re European stonechat or Siberian stonechat.

My thanks to Rotherbirder and to Dantheman for pointing out an alternative interpretation of "capture" and I would echo their request for the OP confirm.

Maybe no surprise that I'm not a photographer in the literal sense of the word but have had literally in the hand, many hundreds of the genus Saxicola.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back