• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another dominican bird (1 Viewer)

Two other possibilities could be Loggerhead Kingbird and Great Crested Flycatcher, although I don't really have the experience to make a call on this one. The stance does looks more flycatcher-like to me, and it may have the darker grey upper breast of G C Flycatcher, but hard to tell . . .

Last edited:
dantheman said:
Two other possibilities could be Loggerhead Kingbird and Great Crested Flycatcher

Just bumping this one up for you US birders out there. . . . Whilst I am happy to go with the flow of course, are there any particular reasons why it is grey kingbird and not something else??!!

dantheman said:
Just bumping this one up for you US birders out there. . . . Whilst I am happy to go with the flow of course, are there any particular reasons why it is grey kingbird and not something else??!!

Thanks for the bump, Dan (you da man!). First off, I see this bird as clearly a Tyrannus structure-wise. Looking at Tyrannus options in Hispaniola, you've got Gray KB, and Loggerhead KB. Now I can't find any pictures specific to the Hispaniolan race gabbii, But all photos and guides I can find show Loggerhead missing the (full) white cheek that is found on Gray. This bird has that same white cheek. Gray KB for me - that's my take on it, anyway.

overworkedirish said:
Thanks for the bump, Dan (you da man!). First off, I see this bird as clearly a Tyrannus structure-wise. Looking at Tyrannus options in Hispaniola, you've got Gray KB, and Loggerhead KB. Now I can't find any pictures specific to the Hispaniolan race gabbii, But all photos and guides I can find show Loggerhead missing the (full) white cheek that is found on Gray. This bird has that same white cheek. Gray KB for me - that's my take on it, anyway.
Cheers! My Field Guide (ok, Nat Geog 3rd ed) doesn't really show much difference in the cheek department at all, plus I found it pretty hard to pick out detail in this largely silhouetted bird. I'll have to have a look in the gallery. But always useful to have an explanation rather than just the answer!

I have been reluctant to chime in on this one. I completely agree with this looking like a Tyrannus and not a Myiarchus. With the experience I had in Puerto Rico, differentiating the gray from the loggerhead took a good look, and I really dont like the angle on this one. However, the Raffaele book shows the Cuba subspecies to have a much shorter bill, which would exclude LK for this one. Does anyone know if the bill of LK in Hispanola is short like the Cuba form? If you press me, I would vote for Gray, but not confidently.

Niels

I'll cast a vote for grey kingbird as well. My recollection from the DR is that the loggerhead is very black on the dark parts and very white on the light parts. This bird doesn't show that. It looks more washed out, though that could certainly be an artifact of the lighting.

But the bill is definitely too large and tapering and the head shape is wrong for a myiarchus.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back