• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

so, the annual "dodgy small Skua over Eye Field debate" is wrapped up for another year - (if you don't believe me check the archives going back at least 5 years!), gen is that the Long-tails the other day flew high high over peoples heads...
Seems that over the years opinions don't really change on this subject, I do hope that some of the people who haven't had the luck get a magical encounter with this species a) because they are a wonderful quasi-mystical species and b) once you've had a decent view of one (most of the ones I've seen have not been that distant and a few have been hugging the shoreline) you'll realise they are not actually that difficult - i think separating small Poms from Arctics is trickier...
Thought had a small dark Skua on a boat trip yesterday (LTS would be mega here) but it was only a Bulwer's Petrel (now that would cause a stir off the Leas).
Toodle pip, same time, same place next year ;-)

Last edited:
Looks promising for some more wave watching fun and frolics over the next couple of days. I just hope you all get some action and experience in whichever part of the coast you're huddled up at - our soulmate "Songrkhan" will guide us peacefully through our difficulties and bendy paths associated with Norfolk seawatching. Good luck everyone.

Enjoy your fun and frolics Pat, you might even get some seawatching in if you're lucky!:t:

38 Cranes Brograve Farm

Followed up pager message and parked at the south entrance to Brograve Farm Waxham.

Large flock of cranes, viewable from car, on far side of stubble field. Braved the elements in deteriorating weather and made three counts 38 each time, through the scope.

Some, presumably family groups, feeding closely together and at least a couple of birds moved from behind others into the open, as the wind got up.
After a heavy shower had passed, the cranes flew over the hedge at the back of the field and out of sight.
This was at 315pm

Titchwell September 15th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - 2 present on fresh marsh still
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 4 on fresh marsh
Lapland bunting - 3 in/off sea @ 10am
Spotted flycatcher - 1 in trees near visitor centre
Pink footed goose - 22 east

Paul

Titchwell September 16th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh although very elusive in strong winds
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Great to see the East Norfolk cranes have had a good year - is 38 the largest site total in recent years? And on the same subject, I think I have seen counts of 16 spoonbills as a group in Norfolk this year. Is this also the highest count in modern times for Norfolk?

Titchwell September 17th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 30 on fresh marsh
Lapland bunting - 1 on volunteer marsh

Paul

Sloe berries

Some time last year, someone posted a location query for Sloe.
Should you be interested for this year, now is the time.
Basic info is the A149 near Stalham.
PM me for exact details.

Great to see the East Norfolk cranes have had a good year - is 38 the largest site total in recent years? And on the same subject, I think I have seen counts of 16 spoonbills as a group in Norfolk this year. Is this also the highest count in modern times for Norfolk?

Norfolk Bird Report
Crane 40 Horsey Gap Oct 14 2011
Spoonbill 21 Cley 7 August 2010

Mystery wader - Titchwell Sept 17th

While trawling through the Dunlin for the umpteenth time for stints etc. I found the small wader in the attached pictures. Smaller than the Dunlin, but larger than the stints. It had a prominent super, short (er than Dunlin) decurved bill, a rather elongated appearance at times and hunched at others, and I thought it might be White-rumped Sandpiper, and later reported it as a possible on Birdguides.

Although largely seen and photographed in poor light and strong winds, it did show in better light, but alas too far for photos, before being spooked along with the other small waders by a marauding Hobby.

I did get two other Northants birders to look at it with me and they felt it could be White-rumped too.

However, the rump was never seen in flight and the pics seem to show some things that conflict with my initial tentative ID, such as lack of pale base to lower mandible, not always elongated appearance as well.

So now not so sure, and any opinions welcome.

Cheers

Sean

Attachments

• TitchwellpeepBF1.jpg
    TitchwellpeepBF1.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 181
  • TitchwellpeepBF2.jpg
    TitchwellpeepBF2.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 225
  • TitchwellpeepBF3.jpg
    TitchwellpeepBF3.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 129