• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900 (1 Viewer)

Well if I can get shots like that handheld and full zoom then the camera will have been worth buying. I'm getting mine to be able to have something I can carry long distances, that can hopefully get me good enough shots of things (birds, butterflies, moths, etc). Also I am hoping the full zoom video is decent enough.
My normal gear is a 7dmkii and 500mm L lens but that gear destroyed my back recently when I was walking 12 miles a day every day on a holiday. I know the p900 quality could never match that gear but after seeing your stonechat shot and knowing its full zoom and handheld I am now more optimistic about the p900 doing the job I want it to. Cheers

My main gear is Nikon D7200 and Tamron 150-600 but some days now its just too much to carry far,another i got today.

Attachments

• DSCN0644.jpg
    DSCN0644.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 277
First video with my p900.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgn0q9BYvvQ

This was at about 40ft range. Was at full zoom (2000mm) and handheld.
It was quite poor light but i am pretty impressed. Especially with the image stabilisation.
Everything I read was suggesting it was near impossible at 2000mm.

The only issue I have with it is I want to use the screen at the side and flat so i can look down on it.
When I put it in that position to use my body to support the camera the screen goes black and it switches to the viewfinder. Pressing the display button doesnt do anything.
I am assuming the eye sensor is picking something up and switching on the evf. Need to find a way to turn that off or override it.

The only issue I have with it is I want to use the screen at the side and flat so i can look down on it.
When I put it in that position to use my body to support the camera the screen goes black and it switches to the viewfinder. Pressing the display button doesnt do anything.
I am assuming the eye sensor is picking something up and switching on the evf. Need to find a way to turn that off or override it.

go to the setup menu and turn off the EVF toggle.

Ha! Beat me to it. The video can sometimes give a better result at extreme ranges. Seems to gather more light under dull conditions. Very useful when searching undergrowth at distance of 100 Mtrs

Den

Last edited:
Yes I'm hoping to use the p900 as a scope replacement for confirming ducks, divers, grebes out in a bay over here. The 500+1.4 could just about do it but I would assume the p900 will be better at letting me see what's quite far out

A photographer friend had that combo and found that the Canon gear produced better photos than the P900 even when they were highly cropped to match the pulling power of the Nikon.

Yeah I have no doubt about that. But at about a 1/6th of the weight if it can get usable stuff then it will do a job for me. (Walking long distances etc)

Yeah I have no doubt about that. But at about a 1/6th of the weight if it can get usable stuff then it will do a job for me. (Walking long distances etc)

The weight is the big advantage for me also,the other big plus factor is when your subject is close it doesn't seam as nervous as it does when i point a large 150-600 at it.

As you can see I am new to this forum. And new to any half decent digital camera.

I read through most of this thread and a lot of other reviews, looking and comparing pictures of different cameras including the top full frame models. I did see some negative reports but I think it is either from someone expecting full frame IQ of not knowing how to make the best out of it. Together with Iq compared to other bridge cameras and price, size, weight and versatility made me order a P900. I actually wanted it sooner but is was on backorder and can hopefully get mine next week.

At the moment I have a small compact Canon SX400 for 4 months now which is OK for happy snappy pictures but I want a bit more. This is a picture of a Pin-tailed Whydah from the SX400. Cleared with Dfine-2 and cropped for frame size. It is OK for identification and memories but not for a album to show around.

Attachments

• Koningrooibekkie.JPG
    Koningrooibekkie.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 271
An hour ago I got a surprise phone call to come collect my parcel at the courier depot. Got it. |:D| Now to learn to know it. :scribe:

First thing I noticed is that the PC link charging plug into the camera is the same as a Samsung phone charging cable. The camera charger is 1A and that of the phone is 0.7A. So it is possible to use either cable. I tested it and it works for both charging and data transfer. There is no reason a lower amperage charger with a identical wired cable will damage the camera. I work a lot with electric and electronics and intermix a lot of chargers, cables, plugs etc.

Last edited:
First pictures was not of birds, they were already asleep as the sun set about 30 minutes ago. One pic with the hilltop about 2 km away and another of a tree on the hill at full zoom opt. trying to hold as still as possible. The exposure time of 1 second show some movement. The last one my rottie wanted part of the action and I think it actually came out spooky nice.

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 212
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 177
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 157
Some of my first bird pictures with the P900.

The water birds were about 150 meter away on the other side of the dam. The fish eagle about 160 meter. The water birds were not in good focus as some other pictures but they would not pose again even if I asked. Both pictures was heavily cropped and re-sized to fit the forum file size limitation.

Attachments

• Bye op lelie.JPG
    Bye op lelie.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Rietduiker en Swartriethaan.JPG
    Rietduiker en Swartriethaan.JPG
    534.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Vis Arend.jpg
    Vis Arend.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 388
Some more pics. Again cropped and resized. Loose some detail doing it.

I think the potential to get good pictures with this camera is there. It will not compare to APS or other bigger format but for what it is, it is doing a good job. I just need to work on it to get closer to the object and will not need to crop so much to get a presentable picture. 150m for bird photography is far, even for a 2000mm eq.

Attachments

• Blommetjie.JPG
    Blommetjie.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Naaldekoker.jpg
    Naaldekoker.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 238
  • Rooi Reier.jpg
    Rooi Reier.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 276
I'm still waiting for some sunlight! But the p900, in one of its roles as scope replacement, is working very well. . Helping me confirm a common scoter and a red breasted merganser very far out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back