• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Azure Hawker? (1 Viewer)

peteh

Hi,
I saw the attached today at Strontian in Ardnamurchan, Scotland
I am edging towards Azure Hawker as the costa wasn't yellow but pale brown and there's no yellow on the abdomen but when I compare it to some photos online of Azure hawkers it seems a bit different.
I read there is a blue form of the female so am wondering if its that possibly?

Attachments

• azurehawker250616.jpg
    azurehawker250616.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 155
I'm trying to learn about Azure Hawker ID. Would I be right in saying that it can't be a female Azure Hawker because of the presence of antehumeral marks, and that it can't be a male Azure Hawker because the blue abdominal spots are too small?

Any other solid ID tips apart from the costa colour (which I find hard to see on Common Hawker in he field)?

The blue form of female Common Hawker is relatively frequent in northern Scotland. I saw one on my highlands trip a couple of years ago which had me confused for ages.

I'm trying to learn about Azure Hawker ID. Would I be right in saying that it can't be a female Azure Hawker because of the presence of antehumeral marks, and that it can't be a male Azure Hawker because the blue abdominal spots are too small?

Any other solid ID tips apart from the costa colour (which I find hard to see on Common Hawker in he field)?

Since seeing that dragonfly I have read up a lot to make sure I am fully ready next time and it looks to me (I could be wrong) that the feature needed before anything else is the width of the markings on the side of the thorax.
Thin for Azure, wide for Common. My dragonfly had wide markings so now 100% happy it is a Common.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back