• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US: Grouse ID in Glacier NP Montana (1 Viewer)

JohnJos

Hello! We found this grouse near the side of the trail along the Highline at Logan Pass in Glacier NP last week. I'm still trying to decide what species it is. I'm thinking Dusky Grouse but was hoping for a White-tailed Ptarmigan (unlikely). Markings and head shape look like Dusky. Please provide your opinion. I have a few more photos but all are with the bird in the grass and brush cover. Thanks, John

Attachments

• Dusky Grouse - Glacier NP.jpg
    Dusky Grouse - Glacier NP.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 84
Not White-tailed Ptarmigan - the tail is blackish, not white :t:

Whether Dusky Grouse, or Spruce Grouse, not sure.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's a female Dusky (Blue) Grouse since it looks a lot different than the Spruce Grouse I saw and photographed a couple years ago shown here:

Attachments

• Spruce Grouse female.jpg
    Spruce Grouse female.jpg
    797.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back