• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tajikistan - a short trip to the Pamirs (1 Viewer)

brilliant! I had to look twice to see that Akher Tsagh is indeed in Pakistan; very peculiar you can stand in one country (Tajikistan), looking to another country (Pakistan) with Afghanistan in between!

I just love those mountains!

Thanks guys!

brilliant! I had to look twice to see that Akher Tsagh is indeed in Pakistan; very peculiar you can stand in one country (Tajikistan), looking to another country (Pakistan) with Afghanistan in between!
I just love those mountains!

Yes indeed, very special. The narrow Afghan Wakhan corridor that makes this 3 countries view possible was created during the "Great Game" as a buffer zone between the Russian empire and British India. 600 years earlier, it was Marco Polo who passed through the Wakhan on his way to China, following one of the branches of the silk road. Another 800 years earlier or so, it was Alexander the Great with his army who passed through. So even before the discovery of the Large-billed Reed Warbler, the place had an interesting history. ;)

And then the people: Pamiris of the valleys are Ismalits, often very European looking with blue eyes and blond hair and up on the Plateau they are Kyrgyz and Sunni muslims.

Absolutely fascinating region.

Last edited:
Wow! Would be interesting to read your trip report from that time! ;)

Unfortenetely I was not birding in Tadshikistan, Usbekistan, Turkmenistan as well as not at lake Baikal and in Charbarowsk area.
Also not birding at begin of September 1989 in Batumi.
It was a big mistake, but I did not go for birding in this time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back