• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flicker/Woodpecker type bird - Manitoba, Canada (1 Viewer)

My partner and I saw a Flicker/Woodpecker type bird the other day that we have not been able to identify.... we have looked through many websites and books with no luck.

The bird was the size of a Hairy, had a taupy grey head, well defined, white belly, black back, large white stripe on the wings ..... HELP !!

Hi and welcome to birdforum, I have moved your thread to a more appropriate forum and given it a more descriptive title for the question.
cheers
Andy

Could be but there wasn’t any black lines in the white on the wing and the chest was really white and the back was really black .... it looked like an adult

You just described 3 different woodpeckers and smushed them together into one ID, lol! The only pecker I know of that sports a grey head is the female red bellied woodpecker, which does not have a single stripe along the wings. I think the closest bird that has *most* of what you've described is a juvenile red headed woodpecker, as KC suggested. The juveniles colors are very dull at this time of year.

I don't know a lot about Canada but down here in the united states, there can be hybrids of some woodpecker species just south of where you're located.

Red-headed WP ranges just sneaks into lower Manitoba near Winnipeg. Red-bellied does not. I agree with Red-headed as the most likely based upon original description.

The only pecker I know of that sports a grey head is the female red bellied woodpecker, which does not have a single stripe along the wings.

I think you're thinking of the juvenile Red-bellieds. Adult female Red-bellied Woodpeckers have red on their heads like the males except the red is only on the nape and not the forehead.

I think you're thinking of the juvenile Red-bellieds. Adult female Red-bellied Woodpeckers have red on their heads like the males except the red is only on the nape and not the forehead.

No, I definitely meant females. But I probably should have said grey at the TOP of their heads. ;)

Sorry but it didn’t look like that .... it had the exact same markings as a red headed but the head was a taupe Grey and no sign of any red .... I was only 10 feet away inside my trailer when I saw it .... it must be a juvenile ..... just seems strange that it looked like an adult because all the other colours were vibrant and it was large

Sorry but it didn’t look like that .... it had the exact same markings as a red headed but the head was a taupe Grey and no sign of any red .... I was only 10 feet away inside my trailer when I saw it .... it must be a juvenile ..... just seems strange that it looked like an adult because all the other colours were vibrant and it was large

Are you saying it didn't look like the juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker photo I posted? Or like the juvenile or female Red-bellied Woodpecker described by Fraulein ash? The juvenile Red-Headed WP looks exactly like the bird you've described. Here's the photo again.

(attach a photo by scrolling down in the compose window and use the 'Attach Files' section and the 'Manage Attachments' button).

Attachments

• 14820414121_1901fd9980_z.jpg
    14820414121_1901fd9980_z.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 11
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back