• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

car window mount options (1 Viewer)

marcsantacurz

What do people use for 10x or so binoculars or maybe 23x-30x small spotting scope (50mm - 60mm) from a car window?

Also, for use in a car (toyota tacoma pickup actually), is a 45* angled scope that an rotate usable or is a straight scope much better?

Thanks,
Marc

The car window mount that I use is what I call the Bushnell style (locks pan and tilt by twisting handle) though I got mine from Cabela's (with their brand name) over 25 years ago and have used it a lot. It is not high tech, not sexy at all, and seemed quite expensive ($45 back then) for what it is, but it has proven to be indestructible and quite satisfactory for my needs (Nikon Fieldscope 60 mostly, sometimes 80 mm scope). Cabela's carried it for decades but now offers a different model that doesn't look as durable. However, I see that the exact model that I own (can tell from the photo that it is certainly from the same manufacturer, not a clone) is now available from Opticron.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1133412-REG/opticron_40502_car_window_mount.html

If you want a sturdy QR for this, the Manfrotto adapter is a _perfect_ fit to this head, and once attached cannot rotate. It holds the plate in the same orientation as the Manfrotto 700RC2 head, by the way.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554141-REG/Manfrotto_323_323_RC2_System_Quick.html

Again, the whole setup is quite uninspiring and ridiculously expensive, but it is very very simple, and it works.

I use straight scopes. I think they are preferable. If a 45 degree scope has a rotating collar and thus can be rotated 90 degrees, it will work but isn't as nice.

--AP

The car window mount that I use ....

Thank you, that was exactly the type of information I was looking for. I had been thinking of a "joystick" style head where you have a single action grip off to the side, but those are like $150 - $300. The combination you have makes much more sense.

Marc

Here is another one that is common, the Nikon 7070 window mount. It can be used with a
binocular with a binocular tripod mount, or with a tripod adaptor for using a spotter.

This kind is common, most are similar, and they work well. Often found for under $40.00.

Jerry

Attachments

• Nikon 7070 mount.png
    Nikon 7070 mount.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 29
Marcsantacurz,

I purchased the Cabela's branded window mount (looks like the Nikon in NDhunter post) some time ago to use with a straight Nikon 50mm Fieldscope; but never did end out using it ... so not much to report about. It resides behind the seat in the truck for use maybe someday. Can't recall what I paid but the upper $20 to upper $30 dollar range sounds about right.

I always wondered if the straight or angled scope was better for this use, and haven't heard anyone comment about it. I've suspected one configuration may work better than the other depending on angle of use .... say uphill/or tree top vs downhill/or a drop off vs straight out. So probably no real winner for all scenarios.

Sorry I can't back it with hours of field experience.

What seems to work for me (and I don't do much scope time) is using binoculars while in the vehicle and getting out of the vehicle and using the scope on a portable tripod that can be quickly deployed. It's always been easier this way as often times the scope attached to the vehicle window will not be pointing in the direction you wish to view and saves having to maneuver the vehicle around (which sometimes you can't do) for the sight line. So you may be better off not getting one and spending the money on a nice tripod.

Something to think about,

CG

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pictures:

It rotates 360 degrees (pan) on the horizontal plane and has bearing lines if needed, rotates about 160 degrees (up/down) in the vertical plane, the top plate can be canted horizontal to vertical, came with a locking quick release plate and a built-in bubble level, and has a substantial sized handle (which has a nice feel and is easy to lock/unlock for adjustments).

Bummer if they still don't make these. I visited their website and they are referred to as the "Cabela's Outfitter Series Window Mount"; and are listed as sold out and price is not shown and is not listed as backorderable.

CG

Attachments

• Window Mount.JPG
    Window Mount.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Window Mount 2.JPG
    Window Mount 2.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
...I always wondered if the straight or angled scope was better for this use, and haven't heard anyone comment about it. I've suspected one configuration may work better than the other depending on angle of use .... say uphill/or tree top vs downhill/or a drop off vs straight out. So probably no real winner for all scenarios...

I find angled difficult to use from a vehicle for many birding applications, and I've never had issues with a straight scope. The problem with angled scopes is that they have to be turned sideways because vehicles don't have enough room for one's head to be high enough to use them in the usual way, and even if you have an open-topped vehicle, the window is high enough that you'll need a booster seat to make such viewing comfortable. I suppose, if one were always viewing close to straight up, the angled would work best, but I don't know anyone who does that.

--AP

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back