• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk? (Croatia) (4 Viewers)

Hippolais

Luca Boscain
Is this a Goshawk?? From Istria (Croatia) today

Attachments

• IMG_20181005_182203.jpg
    IMG_20181005_182203.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20181005_182239.jpg
    IMG_20181005_182239.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20181005_182130.jpg
    IMG_20181005_182130.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 66
Thank you Lou! It was also my opinion, with such a thin base of the tail, but I was with other people convinced on a Goshawk and I'm not so much experienced about that species. Anybody else wants to reinforce the identification, please?

Very low res images. Am struck by the bulging secondary edge, the bulk to the bird, and the hand. Do you have any better images Luca??

No unfortunately: it was a far bird and I was only with my 16-300, not too much a lens for bird photography.
Thanks a lot for the opinions!!

No unfortunately: it was a far bird and I was only with my 16-300, not too much a lens for bird photography.
Thanks a lot for the opinions!!

There is no possible doubt, no worry.

Goshawk has much longer neck, different tail shape, stronger body, and bulging secondaries are not reliable as all juveniles sparrowhawks (as most if not all juvenile Accipitridae raptors) show that also.

Look here, a juv Sparrowhawk with clear bulging secondaries.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back