• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (1 Viewer)

Nice weekend on Tory Island. Lots of migrants around Willow Warblers, Chiffchaff, 3 Spotted Flycatchers in the one garden. Highlights were one Corncrake walking out in front of me, 11 lapland buntings at times walking round your feet and one female Snowy Owl!

Derek

Attachments

• IMGP0001.jpg
    IMGP0001.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 126
  • LAPPER 5.jpg
    LAPPER 5.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 104
  • lapper tory 4.jpg
    lapper tory 4.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 121
Hello Richard,
There was one in Donegal after the Longfield bird. Dermot seen it but i can't remember the exact location, maybe Dermot will see this?
But the Tory bird is different as its a 2nd cy female.

Derek

Yes I saw a young female at in the sand dune system at Doagh, north of Maas on 12th October 2006, which was found by Marius Breen. It was the same age as the long-staying female on Bellmullet, though not the same as both were seen around the same time. The Autumn of 2006 in Donegal must have been one of the worst Autumns on record (apart from the Snowy Owl that is). Single Curlew Sandpiper and a good day count of 600 or so Great Shearwaters were the highlights of the entire season.

Dermot

A few pics of a Pectoral Sandpiper seen on Tory on Saturday.

Derek

Attachments

• IMGP0098.jpg
    IMGP0098.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMGP0111.jpg
    IMGP0111.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMGP0146.jpg
    IMGP0146.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMGP0155.jpg
    IMGP0155.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 92
A few of a Little Stint at the same time.

d

Attachments

• IMGP0214.jpg
    IMGP0214.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMGP0235.jpg
    IMGP0235.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMGP0236.jpg
    IMGP0236.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMGP0255.jpg
    IMGP0255.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMGP0257.jpg
    IMGP0257.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 96
Final shots from the weekend, an obliging Willow Warbler and the Snowy!

d

Attachments

• IMGP0164.jpg
    IMGP0164.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMGP0185.jpg
    IMGP0185.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 107
  • snowy 19th sept2.jpg
    snowy 19th sept2.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMGP0264.jpg
    IMGP0264.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 108
  • IMGP0267.jpg
    IMGP0267.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 93
Inch Lake

Went for a walk with the kids at Inch Lake this morning. New paths but the pumphouse roof is now fenced off. Good numbers of Whooper and Mute Swan. Pink Footed Geese and White Front. Good numbers of duck, but without my scope they were a bit far to distinguish. Widgeon, Tufted Duck Saw a Sparrowhawk in the hedgerows near the corn crop.

Richard

Inch Lake 14th Nov

Excellent numbers of wildfowl on Inch Lake today. Water levels very high with recent heavy rain.
Widgeon
Shoveller
Teal
Mallard
Goldeneye
Scaup
Tufted Duck
Little Grebe
Whooper
Greylag Geese
Canada Geese
White Fronted Geese
Lapwing
Golden Plover
Goldfinch
Redpol
Buzzard
Grey Heron

Visited Blanket Nook afterwards but very dissapointing numbers of wildfowl on the lake. Low numbers, probably because water level is too high. Large flock of Whooper and Greylag in farm fields to the right above beach.

Richard

Inch Lake 22nd Nov

A wet and windy morning at Inch Lake saw all the wildfowl huddled against the near shore for shelter. Water levels extremely high after the torrential rains during the week.

Large numbers of Coot (50+)
Teal
Widgeon
Mallard
Whooper Swan
Mute Swan
Lapwing
Little Grebe
Redshank

No sign of the Shovellers and Goldeneye seen last week.

Hoping for better weather over the Christmas break.

Richard

Inch Lake 29th November

Went for a walk at Inch Lake this morning. Lovely winter sun. Bird numbers well down on last week.

Mute Swan 20+
Whooper Swan 10
Mallard
Goldeneye 4
Teal
Wigeon
Lapwing (100+)
Little Grebe
Grey Heron 2
Fieldfare 20+

Lots of territorial Wrens noisily defending their patch against intruders.

Water height still very high but not as full as last weekend.

Richard

Wilson's Phalrope @ Inch

1st Cal-Yr type Wilson's Phalarope at Inch Lake, Inch Island, Lough Swilly, 09.45hrs today. . From the main hide. 10.15. Flew North, relocated on the grass spit between the hide and the car park. Found by Dave Allen. First December record for Ireland and UK as far as I can make out.

Dermot

A cold, wet and wild weekend in West Donegal. Had a brief walk 12.30 on Saturday. Saw 15 Brent on the estuary at Magheragallon. 2 Chough feeding at the edge of the golf course.
Sunday, a flock of Curlew, a single Oystercatcher and that was it. Too stormy to get any willing volunteers for a walk. Car said 6 degrees, but I think it was tyring to fool me.
Richard

Snow Goose Big Isle

From Irishbirding.com

Snow Goose at Big Isle, Lough Swilly yesterday. Intermediate type. Located last weekend but due to distance and time constraints, not positively identified. Feral/hybrid always a possibility. Underwing pattern noted today. Bill pattern not seen too well. Associating with White-fronted Geese. Seen by Derek Brennan.

Inch Lake

Fantastic visability with large numbers of wildfowl about.
Male Smew
Little Egret
Goldeneye
Wigeon
Teal
Shelduck
Scaup
Canada Geese
Greylag Geese
Gt Crested Grebe
Little Grebe
Fieldfare
Redwing

Also 4 Otter on spit in front of hide and later out in upper part of lake nr nesting island.

Richard

I spent the day around Lough Swilly today. First stop was Fern Lough. Very poor numbers of diving duck maximum 50 Pochard,Tufted Duck and Goldeneye. No sign of the small flocks of yanks this year;). Better numbers of diving ducks at Dunfanaghy New
Lake about 500 or so with a hundred plus coot also. Most were too far to get a good look at but no ring necks. Only 500 grey geese at Big Isle, not the 1500 hundred expected, and no sign of the Blue Snow Goose. A discrete flock of 24 Pink footed Geese was a nice surprise. I heard a couple of Redpoll in the alder over looking the geese at the picnic spot but when I went to scan the trees they were gone. Is this where the Mealy Redpoll was found?
Inch Lake had a few dozen diving duck, the best a few scaup and the male Smew. No time for Inch Island and got lost looking for Blanket Nook so will have to go another day. A nice day trip.

Last edited:
I spent the day around Lough Swilly today. First stop was Fern Lough. Very poor numbers of diving duck maximum 50 Pochard,Tufted Duck and Goldeneye. No sign of the small flocks of yanks this year;). Better numbers of diving ducks at Dunfanaghy New
Lake about 500 or so with a hundred plus coot also. Most were too far to get a good look at but no ring necks. Only 500 grey geese at Big Isle, not the 1500 hundred expected, and no sign of the Blue Snow Goose. A discrete flock of 24 Pink footed Geese was a nice surprise. I heard a couple of Redpoll in the alder over looking the geese at the picnic spot but when I went to scan the trees they were gone. Is this where the Mealy Redpoll was found?
Inch Lake had a few dozen diving duck, the best a few scaup and the male Smew. No time for Inch Island and got lost looking for Blanket Nook so will have to go another day. A nice day trip.

Hello Peter,
i only had around 500 GWF's on Saturday as well as about 100 Greylags and 6-700 Brents. The Snow was difficult enough to pick up as it was in the corner of a ploughed field. Birds do move around between Falcarragh - Inch - Big Isle and it will be interesting to see if it ends up on Wexford Slobs.
The Meally Redpoll was in an area about 500 yards down the second lane on the right after the picnic spot but i am sure the Redpolls also use the trees at the picnic site.
Let us know next time you are going up and i will give directions to B Nook.

d

Inch Lake 22nd December

Not much about in the cold weather today.
Goldeneye
Teal
Wigeon
Mallard
Whooper Swan
Buzzard

Ice around lake edge was quite extensive.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back