• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US, Maryland - imm. Warbler ID (1 Viewer)

JohnJos

Hello. I took these photos of an immature warbler two weeks ago at Blackwater NWR, near Cambridge, Maryland. The site was at the boat ramp for Fishing Bay that leads out to the Blackwater River. There were two or three of these warblers in an out of the reeds and brush at the side of the parking lot. They were always within 3 feet of the ground. I did not see an adult bird with them. I have not been able to positively identify the warbler species. The best I can figure out is possibly a young Mourning Warbler but this is not their preferred breeding habitat which is more boreal forest areas. Please lend a hand with the ID.
Thanks,
John

Attachments

• warbler_1.jpg
    warbler_1.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 64
  • warbler_2.jpg
    warbler_2.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 46
  • warbler_3.jpg
    warbler_3.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I agree with Common Yellowthroat, juvenile. With that dark spot under the eye, it looks like a male.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back