• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus and sharpness issues (1 Viewer)

DMWildlife

DMWildlife Photography
Nikon D7000, Sigma 150-500mm at 500mm
1/1250 f8 ISO400. Tripod mounted. Focus point birds eye.
Help !! Is this something I am doing as the picture is very blurred / soft.When cropped for a tighter composition , is it the lens not being of prime quality ?, any help on how I can get sharper images would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and a very happy new year to everyone.
Cheers
David

Attachments

• 1DM_0173.jpg
    1DM_0173.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
It seems that if your lens was at 500m and looking at the photo you were quite a long way from the bird which is going to affect the sharpness and clarity of the shot. Especially if you try and pull it in or crop it as this will lessen the sharpness even more. No matter how long your lens is some subjects are just too far away to get a clear and sharp result. Try taking photos with your lens at 500m with a closer subject and then see how sharp your photo is, if there still seems to be a problem then it could be your lens.

Happy New Year to you too Dave, Ian.

Nikon D7000, Sigma 150-500mm at 500mm
1/1250 f8 ISO400. Tripod mounted. Focus point birds eye.
Help !! Is this something I am doing as the picture is very blurred / soft.When cropped for a tighter composition , is it the lens not being of prime quality ?, any help on how I can get sharper images would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and a very happy new year to everyone.
Cheers
David

If what you have posted is a crop, you would have to post a copy of the full sized image for any comments to be better

This looks like the male Stonechat at the Bedford 100 Acre Pits a couple of days ago. If you were in the same line as the other photographers present then either the lens is not up to the distance or you have focusing issues.

I was shooting with a Canon 500 f4 + 1.4X in the same line: on the assumption you haven't cropped your shot I have posted an untreated one of mine for comparison.

John

Attachments

• IMG_8958 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_8958 (800x533).jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I don't know that lens in particular, but typically a zoom lens (especially one with a wide range like 150-500) will go a bit soft if you push it all the way to the limit (500mm in this case). You may actually get better shots by backing off to 475ish and then cropping. (You've got pixels to spare, if only you can project a sharp image onto them.)

edit: Ken Rockwell reviewed this lens and says the sharpness is excellent all the way to 500mm. He did notice a problem with the autofocus (slightly behind the subject).

Last edited:
I've owned the 150-500 sig, and it was a fine lens, as long as you work within its limitations.

f8 - you were right to shoot that, as its sharper at f8 than its max ap.

Also, as stated, zoom out to 500 and then back off a tad. In fact, the sig is not a true 500mm. Its around the 485mm mark technically, but anyways, backing off from full zoom will help.

Also, even a 500mm lens cannot help with small birds if you're not near enough

Here are some examples - dont know if the Exif survives loading up to the BF, but its there. Shot with Canon / Pentax / Siggy

Attachments

• Cormorant1.jpg
    Cormorant1.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Cormorant Close PN.jpg
    Cormorant Close PN.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 70
any help on how I can get sharper images would be greatly appreciated.

The most important first rule is to get as close as possible so you end up having to crop as little as possible.

Distant shots like that are only really suitable for an ID record but not a high quality image.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back