• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Open Office" (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

I'm sure most of computer savvy types already know all about 'Open Office' www.openoffice.org/, but the existence of this free software was a revelation to me. I've been looking to get a small laptop/netbook recently for when I'm on my travels, but was somewhat disappointed that 'Word' only came with the package for an extra £50 - a substantial % of the overall cost for a cheap netbook.

Co-incidentally, though, a friend recommended I try Open Office which is free. I have downloaded the latest edition of this software today and am rather impressed. It seems to do everything that Microsoft Office does and more (I can create a PDF with the click of a button, something I don't seem able to do with 'Office'). I also seem able to save documents created in Open Office' in 'Word format.

However, I am a computer innocent in technical matters so are there any advantages in using Microsoft Office rather than the current version (recently updated I think) of 'Open office? I can think of at least 50 reasons not to get the microsoft product all by myself,

Last edited:
Well, so far I'm seeing no difference between Microsoft Word and openoffice and I've been using it about 6 months.

I've been using Open Office for some years now and really like it.

The only difference I've noticed, is that the spreadsheet hasn't all the features of Excel, but as I'm no longer working in an office environment, it does all I want it to (some of the things I didn't understand anyway, LOL).

D

For home, occasional, use I can see no advantage of using Office over Open Office. I use the latter on my Mac and it does all that I need.

Paul

Chris, on the Openoffice web page, there is a beta version downloadable with date from April 2011. That does not look like something where development has ceased???

Niels

Thanks to all who've responded. I've looked at 'LibreOffice' but having already downloaded 'OpenOffice', which seems to meet my demands, will probably stick with it,

So far, they're not much different as far as I can see. That may change in the future, but who knows how?

Alan

(I must admit a preference for MS Office. I like shiny new things, and all OO versions look to me like Office 2000.)

Last edited:
(I must admit a preference for MS Office. I like shiny new things, and all OO versions look to me like Office 2000.)

and I don't like the cumbersome workflow I have to apply in the newest MS Office, endlessly trying to find where the important commands have been hidden. Additionally, with the world going to wide screens, why is it that MS insists on taking up more and more space at the top of the page?

However, given that my workplace lives with MS, there is not much I can do to remedy that. Just have to get used to it I guess.

Niels

and I don't like the cumbersome workflow I have to apply in the newest MS Office, endlessly trying to find where the important commands have been hidden. Additionally, with the world going to wide screens, why is it that MS insists on taking up more and more space at the top of the page?

However, given that my workplace lives with MS, there is not much I can do to remedy that. Just have to get used to it I guess.

Niels

Hear hear! Bloody ribbons weren't designed by people who have to use the crap Gates & Co dump on us that's for feckin' sure...

*opens new bottle of wine and navigates away in order to calm down...(calm down)"

McM

I use OpenOffice at home for many of the same reasons outlined by John. One big advantage is that you get more columns in the spreadsheet with OO.
I think I'm right in saying that there's no equivalent to MS Access? But as I don't use a database it doesn't affect me.
Ken

I use Office 2011 for Mac, which allows you to hide the ribbon, and still has all the commands available from the Mac system menu.

Alan

I think I'm right in saying that there's no equivalent to MS Access? But as I don't use a database it doesn't affect me.
Ken

Actually, you are wrong.
There is an Open Office Database application as well.

Ever since I started using Linux, my dislike of all MS products just keeps growing and growing.

Sadly, I am still forced to use Windows, and more specifically Internet Explorer, for my everyday work...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back