• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oslo birds (1 Viewer)

Allen S. Moore

Isle of Man
I am planning a few days in Oslo in the next couple of months. I enjoy birdwatching in city parks on my travels, such as in Barcelona and Brisbane. Are there any interesting birds in city parks in Oslo?

I saw a nightingale in a little park in the middle of Valencia last month and it set me wondering, can you see thrush nightingales in city parks in Oslo?

Allen

I am off to Oslo for 3 days later in the summer. I have read that there is an area of forested hills and lakes called the Nordmarka which is accessible from the centre by the T-bane. Is there much ornithological interest in the Nordmarka, any Scandinavian specialities, for example?

Nordmarka is a good place to go see the typical forest-birds, and also a really nice forest to hike in. The most popular place for bird-watching is Østensjøvannet (Ostensjovannet). There are 220 species registered there throughout the years, quite good for a lake of 0.33km2, at least here in Norway :)

You can also check out http://www.artsobservasjoner.no. The norwegian site for registration of bird-sightings. Its possible to get it in english as well, but unfortunately the species name is in norwegian. However, if you hold your cursor over the norwegian name you will find it in english as well :)

Hi Allen,

You should follow the blog of Simon Rix. Just google Oslo birder. If you contact him, he can tell you what to look out for. He will probably suggest you to go to maridalen in nordmarka, his personal birdingpatch in the Oslo woods with a huge lake, including black-throated divers. It is not directly connected with the t-bahn however. You need to follow line 4 to nydalen and then take bus 51. Kirkeby is a good place to have an overview over the lake. You can do that with one time on the public transport ticket. I am also resident in Oslo since 1 year, but did not have had the time to fully explorer the possibilities in Oslo. Strongly recommend Simon. I don't have much more time to respons more and give you more details. Best of luck, bart.

Jonna and Creba,

Thanks for the replies. I will have to brush up on Norwegian for the bird sighting website, although I did supply a lot of records of colour-ringed birds to another website following my two most recent visits to Norway (July 2012 and April 2013). Is there an online list of bird names Norwegian : English?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back