• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-headed Woodpecker sites near Frankfurt (1 Viewer)

nicklittlewood

Does anyone have info on good Grey-headed Woodpecker sites within an hour or so drive from Frankfurt? Hazelhen too as a long shot? This is for a trip at start of September.

Many thanks

Nick

Hi Nick. September is certainly not the best time of the year for both speies. Hazelhen is probably impossible to get. Outside of the Alps in Germany in general.

Grey-headed Woodpecker is not uncommon South of Frankfurt in the area of Darmstadt. There seem to be reliable sites at Seeheim and in the forest around "Grube Messel" this World Heritage site is definetly worth a visit by the way.
But September is certainly not a good time for them.
The wooded areas south of Frankfurt host Middle Spotted Woodpecker and Black Woodpecker as well.

Robin

Grey-headed Woodpecker occurs in the Seckbacherried in Frankfurt (but this is only accessible on the perimeter, which wouldn't give you much of a chance in September).
According to www.ornitho.de, a good location appears to be "Am Berger Hang" and the area further south towards the Enkheimer Ried, just east of Frankfurt.
In Frankfurt, there are no observations for September at all!

Many thanks Xenospiza and Dortmundbirder. I realise it isn't a great time of year for tracking down woodpeckers but they have to be out there somewhere... Probably a better chance than Hazelhen, anyway. Thanks for the tips for locations - I'll take a look at these on a map and make some plans in due course.

Cheers

Nick

Hazelhen is difficult to find, because is very shy.
This year I saw 2, but some years nothing.

This is about woodpeckers in Bavarian but also other birdlife
http://www.birdinggermany.de/bavarianwoodpeckers.htm

If You go to Munich, please let me know, I am almost every weekend in the Alps.

Grey headed Woodpecker is also common south of Munich at river Isar, but easy to hear, much harder to see.

Last edited:
Hazelhen is difficult to find, because is very shy.
This year I saw 2, but some years nothing.

This is about woodpeckers in Bavarian but also other birdlife
http://www.birdinggermany.de/bavarianwoodpeckers.htm

If You go to Munich, please let me know, I am almost every weekend in the Alps.

Grey headed Woodpecker is also common south of Munich at river Isar, but easy to hear, much harder to see.

Thanks for the info. I had a wonderful couple of days walking up mountains in the Bavarian Alps around ten years ago (Berchtesgarden National Park) but won't be looking to travel so far from Frankfurt on this occasion. Next time maybe...

Cheers

Nick

Does anyone have info on good Grey-headed Woodpecker sites within an hour or so drive from Frankfurt? Hazelhen too as a long shot? This is for a trip at start of September.

Many thanks

Nick
I've little to add to the suggestions above, except that you could also try the riparian nature reserves along the Rhine, e.g. Lampertheim or Kühkopf. Places like that could theoretically hold all woodpeckers except the two alpine species.
BTW, if you're interested in seeing Spotted Nutcracker, I've observed them in the Spessart (east of Frankfurt).
There's also the Kellerwald-Edersee National Park, about one and a half to two hours drive from Frankfurt Central Station. Might be worth checking out if it's not too far for you.

Regarding Hazelhen, a while ago there was an essay in one of the German ornithological magazines suggesting that they might be much rarer in this country than previously assumed - apparently most of the evidence is indirect (i.e. no sighting) and often dubious. I think you're more likely to encounter a lynx or even a wolf in Hessen than a Hazelhen.

This year I saw 2 [Hazelhen]
In Germany??

Last edited:
I've little to add to the suggestions above, except that you could also try the riparian nature reserves along the Rhine, e.g. Lampertheim or Kühkopf. Places like that could theoretically hold all woodpeckers except the two alpine species.
BTW, if you're interested in seeing Spotted Nutcracker, I've observed them in the Spessart (east of Frankfurt).
There's also the Kellerwald-Edersee National Park, about one and a half to two hours drive from Frankfurt Central Station. Might be worth checking out if it's not too far for you.

Regarding Hazelhen, a while ago there was an essay in one of the German ornithological magazines suggesting that they might be much rarer in this country than previously assumed - apparently most of the evidence is indirect (i.e. no sighting) and often dubious. I think you're more likely to encounter a lynx or even a wolf in Hessen than a Hazelhen.

Well, a Lynx might provide suitable compensation for lack for lack of Hazelhens!

Thanks for the extra GHW ideas - much appreciated

Nick

Well, a Lynx might provide suitable compensation for lack for lack of Hazelhens!

Thanks for the extra GHW ideas - much appreciated

Nick
You're welcome. That said, of course the large predators are very difficult to see, but there are chance encounters now and then, particularly in northern Hessen. They are recorded on this site, it's in German though.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back