• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird legs (1 Viewer)

Hello,

The blackbirds around here in Gothenburg all have blackish legs, except the females that are lighter greyish.

But in a bird book about birds in Thailand, I found that the Common Blackbird (Turdus merula) was supposed to have yellow legs.

That must be a mistake by the artist?!

Or are this variant also seen in Sweden?!

Hi Tord

I can find no references to the Common Blackbird having yellow legs, anywhere. However, Indian Blackbird Turdus simillimus does have, and used to be considered a subspecies of Turdus merula.

Also the Grey-winged Blackbird, Turdus boulboul which does occur in Thailand, appears to have yellow legs as a juvenile. I'm not sure if there was a past relationship between them and our Common Blackbird.

Maybe others can dig deeper for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back