• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK. Anyone else notice an icrease in the numbers of House Sparrows and Starlings this (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
UK. Anyone else seeing an increase in the numbers of House Sparrows and Starlings

For close on 10 years I haven't recorded any House Sparrows visiting my garden. Then about three years ago I had a couple of visits, last year it was up to weekly visits, and this year I have them visiting my feeders every day. I am wondering why? More and more houses are having new soffit and fascias installed which in theory would reduce nesting opportunities for both species. This year loads of breeding Starlings where over the last few years very few, although there were some local sightings!
Strange.
Is anyone else seeing these changes?

Last edited:
I've noticed an upturn in Starling numbers in the last couple of years.

Maybe controls on the worst pesticides coming into force?

Last year we had loads of starlings with young in garden, this year only one pair, sparrows last year where scarce, this year we have around 12 in the garden for most of the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back