• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some additional etymological information – Part III (1 Viewer)

I had no luck in trying to find Wagler's "type" (nor did I find this specimen in any "Leadbeater's collection"). However I assume that "illustrious" would indicate that Wagler had the, at that time, well-known Bullock Senior in mind.
I wouldn't be too sure about this. What I translated as 'illustrious' is the 'cl.' that precedes Bullock's name in the Latin sentence. This stands (in principle) for clarissimus, literally 'brightest' or 'very bright'. Wagler used it for about every person he alluded to in his text ('cl.' occurs 214 times in the OCR of the book) -- I'm not sure it implies anything, besides a vague expression of his respect for the person he was citing.
In Birds of America 1842 Audubon quoted Bonaparte's comment (in (French) regarding Wagler's "Pica Bullockii" (here), as well in his Ornithological Biography of 1832 (here). Also see Vigors comments from 1831 (here).

Does either one help in any way?
I don't really see anything in these sources that would add to the present debate.
And what about the bird mentioned as "Calocitta bullockii (not Pica bullockii Wagler)", here, ... which is a bird described by Sclater 1858 (here), from Honduras! Or did Sclater only thought it/they was/were the same? And today the latter is simply an invalid preoccupied name for of the subspecies Calocitta formosa pompata/Cyanocorax formosus pompatus BANGS 1914 ... or?

If so, it´s not listed among the synonyms in the Key.
It should not be, IMO.
Sclater did not provide any description, and explicitly attributed the name to Wagler, who had indeed made it available previously; as a consequence, Sclater did not create anything new nomenclaturally.
There is no such thing as "Calocitta bullockii (not Pica bullockii Wagler) Sclater"; only a Calocitta bullockii Wagler apud (or sensu) Sclater: this was but a particular instance of taxonomic usage of Wagler's name, with which Hellmayr happened to disagree, subjectively.

Thanks Mark, well found, thereby no more "most likely" on the the invalid "P. [Procellaria] Bullockii" FLEMING 1828 (as in post 36)... but "from the 26-day-long Auction Sale ...", etc., etc., ... and still = William Bullock (Senior)

And Laurent, thanks for yet another long reply regarding the (Magpie-) Jay/s (Pica/Garrulus/Calocitta/Cyanocorax), and for your patience with my somewhat lost and awkward "French" posts ... what I was trying to imply, or question, was simply based on geography (nothing else), as in this line of thinking:

• "Pica bullockii" WAGLER 1827, from Mexico, a synonym of the nominate Calocitta f. formosa/Cyanocorax f. formosus SWAINSON 1827
• "Calocitta bullockii" SCLATER 1858, from Honduras, a synonym (as in a nomen nudum), of today's subspecies Calocitta formosa pompata/Cyanocorax formosus pompatus BANGS 1914 (this only as the former subspecies, the nominate itself, is not to be found there) ... ?

Of course it could have been a stray individual, stranger things have happened in ornithology. But I guess you´re correct, as usual. I just thought I´d found something worth having a look at.

Either way; it´s of minor importance regarding the etymology itself, both originating in Wagler's text, and if the the Latin 'cl.' (clarissimus) that precedes Bullock's name in the OD, could be interpreted simply as a courtesy title [similar to Esq./Esquire (as it´s used in Modern British English)] I assume the question is still:

- Was the specimen of Wagler's "P. [Pica] Bullockii" sent by Bullock Senior or Junior ... ?

Well, I haven´t got a clue!

Björn

PS. Even if Temminck wasn´t involved in connection to the "Merops Bullockii" as stated by Donovan (in posts #21-22, 25 & 28, i.e. Merops bulocki VIEILLOT 1817) he apparently had something to do with both; Wagler's "P. [Pica] Bullockii" [as in having the same bird depicted, in "Planches coloriées", as "Garrula Gubernatrix", Plate 436 (Garulle commandeur), here] and with P. [Procellaria] Bullockii" FLEMING 1828 [as in describing it as "Procellaria leachii" TEMMINCK 1820, here (and Richmond Card here) = Cymochorea leucorhoa/Hydrobates leucorhous VIEILLOT 1818].

Maybe that´s where Mr. Donovan went astray in 1826?
--

Last edited:
Bullock Summary

This far I think/hope we can agree on:

• Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii SWAINSON 1827
[alt. "bullockorum" CHESSER 2013, i.e. bullockiorum CHESSER 2015, a k a "Bullocks's Oriole"]
= William Bullock (ca.1773–1849) and William Bullock Junior (fl.1840?)

• Red-throated Bee-eater Merops bulocki VIEILLOT 1817
= William Bullock (Senior)

• the invalid "P. [Procellaria] Bullockii" FLEMING 1828 [Syn. Leach's Storm-Petrel Cymochorea leucorhoa/Hydrobates leucorhous VIEILLOT 1818]
= William Bullock (Senior)

• the invalid "P. [Pica] Bullockii" WAGLER 1827 [Syn. White-throated Magpie-Jay Calocitta formosa/Cyanocorax formosus SWAINSON 1827*
... simply following the text in the OD (and the singular form of the scientific name) it commemorate either William Bullock Senior or Junior, but most likely aimed at Senior (who, being the businessman he was, almost certainly supplied Wagler with the specimen). I´ve seen no example of Junior sending specimens to any other than his Father.

And, the odd one out:

• the subspecies Aphrastura spinicauda bullocki CHAPMAN 1934
= Dillman Samuel Bullock (1878–1971) ... no "Lytle", at all, in any position [at least not in my MS, that was his Mum (Nelly Elisabeth Lytle), in yet another example of the Spanish way/tradition of including the Mother's name, simply placing him in context], several examples in post #36.

However, as always: Don´t hesitate to prove me wrong ... on either one!

Björn

PS. Now it´s up to James, after having recieved and read Costeloe's book of 2008, to find out if I (we) finally can delete the "ca." in "ca.1773", regarding the birth of William Bullock (Senior) or if we need to alter it into something else. And to see if anything new, whatever small, or large, will surface regarding the fairly unknown Bullock Junior.

I´m eagerly looking forward to whatever will turn up!

PS. Now it´s up to James, after having recieved and read Costeloe's book of 2008, to find out if I (we) finally can delete the "ca." in "ca.1773", regarding the birth of William Bullock (Senior) or if we need to alter it into something else. And to see if anything new, whatever small, or large, will surface regarding the fairly unknown Bullock Junior.

I´m eagerly looking forward to whatever will turn up!
Of course, you never know in advance, and I'm curious to read about it; but I wouldn't expect much more in Costeloe 2008 than what I reported above from Costeloe 2006.

Re. the possible death of William Bullock, Jr, from yellow fever, soon after his father had left Mexico: this is in any case repeated in the Spanish-language Panorama de México paper, footnote 17, p. 1218: "Aunque no se ha encontrado ningún registro documental que lo confirme, se cree que William Bullock hijo murio de fiebre amarilla, probablemente en Veracruz, alrededor de 1827 o 1828." (= Although no documentary record has been found that confirms it, it is thought that William Bullock Jr died of yellow fever, probably in Veracruz, around 1827 or 1828. This was published in 2009, thus after Costeloe 2008.)

--------
PS -
But I think it´s fair to assume he was still alive in 1840, as he is mentioned in is Father's will (dated, and republished, in May 1840).
Alexander 1985 writes that Bullock republished his will in May 1840 in Cincinnati. However, the will that Alexander quoted from (and which he partly misread, according to Costeloe 2006) had been written in London and dated from 1825. (In the paper, this will is cited "Bullock 1825b".) This will also appears to have mentioned Bullock's younger daughter Sybylla (born in Liverpool, 20 Jun 1805 according to Costeloe 2006), in a way implying that she was still less than 21, which she certainly was not in 1840.

Alexander 1985:
15. The will provided that, after funeral expenses were paid, all his real and personal property was to be invested in Parliamentary stocks or funds of Great Britain with Robert Roskell, Liverpool watch manufacturer, and Christopher Cusark, London surgeon, as trustees to pay £50 yearly in quarterly installments to Sybylla Bullock of Leicester, his brother‘s widow, and £50 in the same manner to his wife Catharine. After their deaths, the principal would go to his three children- William; Ann Elizabeth Godyson of Woodville, Wicklow County, Ireland; and Sybylla, when she reached 21 or married (Bullock 1825b). That same year, 1825, young Sybylla received the large silver medal of the Society of Arts for “a bust from life” (Gunnis, 1953, p. 69).
Costeloe 2006:
82. In the will he made in 1825, Bullock left an annuity to his mother, Sybylla, described as a widow of Leicester. The handwriting of the will is very difficult to read and it is understandable that Alexander misread it and states that the annuity was left to Bullock’s brother’s widow rather than to his mother. There are several variations in the spelling of the name, Sybylla—for example, Sybella, Sebylla, Sibella etc. Alexander also misread the name of Bullock’s son-in-law, giving it as “Godyson” when it was actually Hodgson: Alexander, “William Bullock,” 144, note 15.

Last edited:
Costeloe 2008 arrived in the post half-an-hour ago. Not much to add, really. It confirms William Sr. died in Chelsea, London, on 7 March 1849 of "degeneration of the heart", having been "born in or near the year 1773." After his marriage his first son William Jr. "was probably born a year later [1796]." Although there is no definite proof, William Jr. died soon after his father left Mexico in March 1827.

And; here´s a lady who seems to know more than all of us ... including Alexander and Costeloe ... !?! See p.101:

"In addition to the paintings, the museum also boasts different collections of nineteenth-century visiting artists, among whom were the sketch artists and European engravers who illustrated the work of Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859) (Marchais, Bouquet and Langlois) and that of the English collector William Bullock (1795-1840) (Brisou and Marlet); ... "

Cecilia Santacruz Langagne, Director of the Veracruz State Art Museum, under the aegis of the Veracruz Institute of Culture ,
published in Voices of Mexico, issue 66 (2013):pp.99-103, here
I don´t know what to believe ... sigh!

Which William Bullock does this refer to, however ?
If you [google: Bullock Brisou Marlet], you'll get results suggesting that Brisou and Marlet worked on the illustration of William Bullock's Le Mexique en 1823, relation d'un voyage dans la Nouvelle-Espagne: [this]--which is a French translation of Six months' residence and travels in Mexico.
The author of this work is William Bullock, Sr, not William Bullock, Jr. The dates, however, are certainly not those of the birth and death of this William Bullock.
Interestingly, one of these pages at least ([this one]) is titled "BULLOCK, William (fl. 1795-1840)": perhaps this is what we should read in Cecilia Santacruz Langagne's text...?

------
PS - You can see good scans of the concerned plates (clickable + zoomable) [here]. Most bear the mark "Lith. de Marlet" (= lithograph by Marlet) in one of the lower corners; a few are additionally marked "Marlet del." (= Marlet drew [it]; e.g., the 3rd, 5th and 7th images of the right column); the last two images on the right (monochome depictions of ancient Mexican sculptures) are signed "Emile Brisou".

Last edited:
Thanks, Laurent, I think you´re right, that she (in an inarticulate way) was writing about Senior, who most certainly was alive both in 1795 and 1840. I simply got a bit confused (and carried away) by the similarities in connection to Junior "... probably born a year later [1796]" and my own claim/speculation of him being still alive in "1840?" ...

Sorry to wander off. It didn't´t got us any further.

--

Last edited:
Maybe (if not already done by anyone) it would make sense to search for Guillermo Bullock (hijo) to find more about the junior? In here p. 369 (chapter Sesion del dia 15 de Mayo de 1823) right bottom e.g is written:

Se dió cuenta con una solicitud de D. Guillermo Bullock, pidiendo carta de naturaleza, y se mandó volver al interesado para que ocurra por conducto del gobierno.

Maybe (if not already done by anyone) it would make sense to search for Guillermo Bullock (hijo) ...
I´ve done it, Martin, years ago and recently, I´ve spent days searching for such possible variations in all various combinations (with or without "Veracruz", "Mexico", "Temascaltepec", "Naturalista", "Artista", ...etc., etc), but to my understanding most Spanish text that mentions Guillermo (William) Bullock is all about Senior, some briefly mentions the "hijo" (Son) but mostly only in connection to his more well-known Father (or with Deppe), but nothing new that we haven´t covered this far. Not that I found anyway.

But, who knows, maybe someone is luckier than me?
--

Last edited:
From Laurent's post #40:
As we have seen, the mining operations were ended in September, and Bullock Sr. was in Mexico City in October, beginning his preparations to leave the country. He left in March 1827 but, and we lack specific information about this, it seems that his son stayed in Mexico. We have no information on what he intended to do, and as his friend Deppe had already left the capital for Veracruz and Europe in November, his whereabouts and intentions are unknown. It has been stated that soon afterwards, possibly again on one of his naturalist expeditions, he caught yellow fever and died. (91) If this was the case, we have no details of where and when it happened, nor where he was buried.
------
91. Leask, Curiosity and the Aesthetics of Travel Writing, 310. Unfortunately, Professor Leask does not give a source for his statement about William Bullock’s death and I have been unable to find any reference to confirm it.
Could Professor Leask's claim (from his book Curiosity and the Aesthetics of Travel-Writing, 1770-1840, published in 2002) that William Bullock Junior allegedly "caught yellow fever and died", possibly, somehow, originate in this blazing Head-line ... ?!
BULLOCK DIED OF YELLOW FEVER
Either way it´s hard to understand how (rumours and tales?), as it´s from The New York journal and advertiser, of April 23, 1897 and clearly about the death of "Otis. E. Bullock", ... "son of Edgar O. Bullock", thereby not at all regarding the death of "our" William Bullock Junior.

He remains a Mystery.

3 X William Bullock ... !?!

English Wikipedia of today:
William Bullock (c.1773 – 7 March 1849) was an English traveller, naturalist and antiquarian.

Bullock was the son of William Bullock and his wife Elizabeth (née Smallwood), proprietors of a travelling waxworks.[1] ...
With the reference to:
Baigent, Elizabeth (2004; online edn, Jan 2009). "Bullock, William (bap. 1773, d. 1849)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Check date values in: |date=(help)
James, how does that works versus Costeloe's claim (as I understand it, simply trusting earlier posts in this thread) that the Mother of William Bullock (Senior) was "Sybylla" (like his third child) ... !?

The entry for him in Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 07, (here) doesn´t say a word in this matter!

I´ve also seen claims that his Father was named George! Like one of his (older) brothers ... what a mess!
:scribe:
Björn

PS. And what does the red and blue's, in the reference's quote, tell us?
--

Last edited:
The following details are from Costeloe 2008 (which I use as my sole reference in the Key). Despite their fame, much of the Bullocks' lives are unknown or unrecorded, and confusion lies in the proliferation of family given names.
Nothing is known of William Bullock Sr.'s father. William Bullock Sr's mother was named Sybylla; it is probable that she was his father's second wife. William Bullock Sr. (born ?1773) had at least 4 siblings; James (born ?1749; doubtless a step-brother)), Mary Ann (born ?1780), George (born early 1780s), and Charles (born? - fl. 1827). Elizabeth Smallwood is not mentioned or indexed.
William Bullock Sr.'s first wife, Ann Holmes, died in 1801; he married, secondly, Catharine Tarleton in 1803. By his first marriage he had two children; William Jr. (born ?1796), and Anne Elizabeth Teresa (born 1800); by his second marriage he had two children; Sybylla (born 1805), and Catharine (born 1808).

Sidetrack/short note: regarding the youngest (for me, until James's last post, non-existing!) daughter of William Bullock (Senior); Catherine ...
Burial: 20 Feb 1808 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancs.
Catharine Bullock - Dau of Wm. Bullock & Catharine, His Wife
Died: 17 Feb
[...]​
(here)
And that's why she wasn´t mentioned in Bullock's will of 1825/40.
Whatever Costeloe wrote surely she must have been born in 1807 ...!?

/B
_

Last edited:
Minor details on Dillman Bullock

Minor addition, repetition, nothing new, only details (i.e. his wife's true name), regarding ...

• the subspecies Aphrastura spinicauda bullocki CHAPMAN 1934
= Dillman Bullock (1878–1971), whose full name was Dillman Samuel Bullock (... no Lytle, that´s only used in Chile)

Born in Elba, Michigan, USA, 25 November 1878, Son of "Charles Alonse Bullock" and his mother "Nelly Elisabeth Lytle" ... husband (from 1906) to Katrina "Katie" (née Kelly) ... and so on (see links in post #36) ... died in Angol, Chile, 5 April 1971.

A Photo of him, in his old days, in front of his own Museo Dillman S. Bullock, in El Vergel, Angol, Chile, is found here.
--

Last edited:
Still stuck on William Bullock Senior (and most definitely on Junior) ...
The following details are from Costeloe 2008 (which I use as my sole reference in the Key). Despite their fame, much of the Bullocks' lives are unknown or unrecorded, and confusion lies in the proliferation of family given names.
Nothing is known of William Bullock Sr.'s father. William Bullock Sr's mother was named Sybylla; it is probable that she was his father's second wife. ...
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, entry for William Bullock [Senior], by Elizabeth Baigent (2004; online edition, Jan 2009):
Extract
Bullock, William (bap. 1773, d. 1849), naturalist and antiquary, was baptized on 8 May 1773 at St Andrew's Church, Plymouth, Devon, the son of James Bullock and his second wife, Sibylla, of Bristol, the owners of a travelling waxworks. ...

[here]
Disclaimer: Full entry unseen.

I wonder why Costeloe disregarded this info? Surely he must have been aware of, and seen, the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, which (as I understand it) usually is considered a reliable source. Or isn´t it?

Maybe Professor Costeloe himself got lost in the multiplicity of this name?

Björn

PS. Unfortunately we cannot ask him in person, as Costeloe passed away in 2011.
--

Last edited:
Long, long over Due, I have finally closed the entry for bullocktrupial, the Swedish name for the Icterus species (the only Bird included in my MS of Swedish Common names, commemorating these guys, in its Swedish name) ... all the other ones were mere side-tracks, simply looked at in some vain hope to find some details, whatever small, of the men involved.

However; nothing additional found, more than what´s already been written in this thread.

In short; I´ve settled with simply: William Bullock (†1849, i.e. 7th of March, 1849) [Senior] and William Bullock (fl.1826) [Junior]. The rest, the other years are simply too vague, too unsecure, too many discrepant, unfounded, or contradictory claims, for my taste. I left the parents/grandparents out of the picture all together ... better safe than sorry.

Otherwise, in my view; as in Post #45 (with the above in mind, of course ;)) ...

Thereby; a lot of work and little gain (that is, regarding years/births vs deaths). Either way; my entry for bullocktrupial (in English; Bullock's Oriole alt. Bullocks's Oriole) ended up in four full pages of text (full of the most curious bits and pieces), and as such, one of the longest entries of all in my MS. And for this I have to say (even if we didn´t manage to crack this case in full): Thanks everybody! Without your help my text would have been far less comprehensive (and far, far more boring to read).

See you all elsewhere.

William Bullock X 2 ... over and out!

Björn

PS. And ditto for Dillman Bullock, as in post #57.
--

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back