• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the proper way to hold binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Canip

Don‘t take this too seriously, but ....
Just found the box that came with my vintage Deltrintem 8x30, and I wondered about the way Carl Zeiss Jena obviously thought we should hold their binoculars, i.e. about 5 inches away from our eyes ???
Maybe that way the users didn‘t complain about the rather modest edge sharpness??;)

Attachments

• 0D10FA6B-BFAA-455F-864C-AD9A8F1DA3CA.jpeg
    0D10FA6B-BFAA-455F-864C-AD9A8F1DA3CA.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 261
Maybe that way the users didn‘t complain about the rather modest edge sharpness??

I don't think that was the reason. My best guess is that Zeiss wanted to stress that the bino had a humongous ER and can be used by people using spectacles with very thick glasses, or by users w/ glasses but fond of an extreme version of the molcet technique.

It is an 'action' photo and the man is in the process of lifting the binos to his eyes and hasn't quite got there yet. :-O
The photographer was clearly too quick to press the shutter release. :eek!:

Lee

Lee,

An old film had 36 pics, why take only one shot? Maybe the photographer took several but the one shown was the best, which would confirm your theory.

Another possibility is that the actor wanted his beautiful eyes (and mustache) to be visible in the photo, or else he would not sign the contract.

Peter

Lee,

An old film had 36 pics, why take only one shot? Maybe the photographer took several but the one shown was the best, which would confirm your theory.

Another possibility is that the actor wanted his beautiful eyes (and mustache) to be visible in the photo, or else he would not sign the contract.

Peter

I think you have solved the mystery Peter. And possibly he was wearing a little makeup for the photography and didn't want to mess it up.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back