• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WI-FI access question. (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I am going to stay in a place that has WI-FI internet access. I have a bog standard lap top............what do I need to do in order to go online??
Thanks

Ask the provider of the WI-FI for the access code, this you will need when you first log onto the net. Be sure to ask if there's a charge for this service, some unscrupulous hotels charge anything up to £5 per hour for access.
When you have the code you can fire up your laptop, search for WI-FI connections, once you've found the correct one then open that connection. Input the access code when prompted and you're away.

Ask the provider of the WI-FI for the access code, this you will need when you first log onto the net. Be sure to ask if there's a charge for this service, some unscrupulous hotels charge anything up to £5 per hour for access.
When you have the code you can fire up your laptop, search for WI-FI connections, once you've found the correct one then open that connection. Input the access code when prompted and you're away.

Thank you.
We aer staying in a cottage and the owners say it has WiFi Access so I assume they will give me the code.
Could you explain what is meant by be "search for WiFi connections" ?

Open up the Network Connections menu in Control Panel.

Click on Create A New Connection this opens a connections wizard which has a highlighted link to View Wireless Networks In Range.

Click on the link and you'll see a list of all the WI-FI networks available in that location.

Choose the one provided by the cottage owner and click on it. You'll then be able to input the access code and you should then be okay to surf the net.

Sorry to join in Keith but will he need a Wireless LAN card, to access this, I know I need one for my laptop. I was just basing this on his asking of "what do I need" for his "bog standard laptop"
Joe
PS...for my info also :t:

Last edited:
Joe
If the laptop is less than 5 years old the odds are that WI-FI capability is inbuilt. Both the laptops that my wife has used over the last few years were accessing our WI-FI connection straight from the box, no extras required.

Joe
If the laptop is less than 5 years old the odds are that WI-FI capability is inbuilt. Both the laptops that my wife has used over the last few years were accessing our WI-FI connection straight from the box, no extras required.

Hope this doesn't confuse things but...............
I have previously used the lap top with a '3' dongle which at the time cost me approx £15??
Does this mean I dont need the LAN card (whatever one of those is??)

Again-thanks for the advice.

Joe

Thanks for that keith...... Mine is about 10yrs old and coal fired :t:

you'll need a wifi card these were normally mounted in a compact flash card or a usb dongle, does your laptop support these?

Lol, if you post the make n model of tne laptop sure someone will lol at the spec, if you ask me, buy a mac book and it'll just work and keep on working lol

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!
was soooo easy-just did as Keith advised and it went 'like a dream'.
Thanks again for everyones input....it's always appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back