• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridge Sciences (1 Viewer)

John o'Sullivan

Who are these people? Perhaps erroneously I've just bought an Android tablet off Amazon on the strength of the reviews, the specs (they sounded good) and that it looked pretty. I can't find any info with respect to the company. They don't seem to have a website. Any info appreciated.
John

"tech company" Sean? Really?

Quality Stores shopfront
looks like an easy way to make a big hit, 'selling' cheap tat to friends in exchange for good ratings then listing desirable objects that don't exist - heard the term 'bait and switch' before?

What do you make of this 'review':
Well I had a bad episode with my former tablet pc so I looked at this one with a scepitcal mind, liked the postitve reviews and knew about Cambridge Sceinces as a name so I knew that they wouldnt be pushin out any old tat.

And pleasantly confirming I was, this is THE tablet to buy, I turned it on waited for the usual warm up screens and there it was in front of me, a tablet in all its glory, the screen was so much responsive than I would imagine, a touch screen users heaven. The smoothness of going to one screen to the other was also heaven and the response time for clicking on an icon was almost bullet speed like, the setting up of my wireless network on it was synch and so easy, th joy of having 8gb on board was very visible in the actions of the tablet, I hardly recognised the difference of the 512MB ram as it acted like it had double the capacity.

The screen is very clear and as said very responsive to the touch, the addition of the keyboard and wallet just protects it even more and very practical for me personally. I have spoken to the guys at Quality Stores and they live by their company name, they Quality service and nothing is a bother to them whatever question you want to pose to them.

Therefore I will round up this review by saying a Quality seller selling a Quality branded tablet is a recipe for long and lasting sales, buy this item, you be very rude not to.

Hope this has helped you and I wish I had bought this tablet before my other "disaster".
Does he own the 'company' or was he paid to write that?

Attempting to prove a product exists by pointing to a new post on a random website is no proof at all. What's the chances the 'seller' posted that stuff as part of his strategy?

We'll have to wait and see what happens to John won't we Andrew... It's difficult for crooks to 'scam' through Amazon these days though.
Sean

Hi Andy,

I was hoping you'd reply as all your advice on this forum has been useful. I was hoping you'd come through with positive feedback on the company though. Thanks for your input Sean as well. I've e-mailed Amazon and await their reply.

I've done more searching and none of it really adds up.

The reviews on Google are either way too good to be true or terrible.iRobot is a HK/Chinese tech company that makes tablet computers but there is nothing at all to do with CAMBRIDGE SCIENCES on their website. Something has been sent out as the post office tracking number sent out in my e-mail from Amazon seems to be delivering something?? Overall it feels wrong though.

Much will become clearer when the post arrives.

John

Last edited:
Hiya John,

As you say, Cambridge Sciences doesn't appear to exist and it looks like any real feedback on the Amazon shopfront is probably from selling Lego kits.

If you're not happy with whatever turns up at your door, Amazon and the distance selling regulations should help you get things sorted out.

Regards,

Andy.

I found a picture of the computer that they are supposed to have sold me on a couple of HK/Chinese websites. I put in the name of the processor from the Specs into google and followed a few of these links. The photo on one of the chinese websites is the same as the one on google (same time showing on the screen even) and on the website of a company called PROTECH in the u.k.

It may be that some-one has bought a few of these computers imported them into the u.k and is now flogging them off on Amazon. It may be that some-one has just posted a few photos and isn't selling anything.

I realised after I posted yesterday that Amazon have sent me a post office tracking number but there is nothing to show that anything is coming to me only that something is going some-where.

As you say though Amazon should cover any possible losses on my behalf.

Much better than one of my close relatives who lost £6,5000 on a motor home scam on e-bay. It sounded too good to be true and it was. Foolishly he sent money by wire transfer direct to the seller to "speed" up the deal. The scammers have been running the scam with the same photos of 6 cars/vans/motor home (taken from other people's websites) and hard luck story for a few years now.

No reply from Amazon yet although the computer is now unavailable to buy there.

Well It's arrived. It arrived special delivery when I hadn't paid for this and was here just over a day after I ordered it. Brilliant service so far. It looks and feel very nice, comes with neoprene and leatherette cases. So far, so very good.

It is in an iRobot box and is described in the enclosed letter as a G7 tablet Tablet PC (although this is not on box or pc or enclosed booklets)

They have also asked that I post feedback and product review on Amazon as they (quality stores) are a "small company" continuing to improve their services to the Amazon community.

Let's see what happens when I try to get it to turn on.

Glad to hear it John. Amazon is still showng three in stock this morning from Quality Stores. Let us know how you get on with the tablet - might take a punt myself!
Sean

It turns on and seems a nice piece of kit. I can't get it to connect to the internet though. I have sky as my internet provider with a wireless router. The tablet is picking up the network but will not connect to it when I put in the key and ask it to connect. It scans but won't kick in. The browser homepage is set to http://www.google.com/m?client=ms-unknown&source=android-home. Hopefully it is something simple that needs inputting (advice please)

Often WiFi keys can be fussy over the letters being upper or lower case. Plus some routers need to be put into "pairing mode" to allow a new connection.

Hi,
I wandered closer to the router and lo and behold it connected.

It seems a pretty good piece of kit but then I've never had a mobile that hasn't been a "brick" so I am easily impressed by features that e.g. my wife and daughter are very blase about.

I still can't work out where the CAMBRIDGE SCIENCES link is to the name as far as I can make out it is an iRobot MID Q 713.

There are very few references to it on google. The most I can find on the internet is on a website calleds ali-baba. It appears to be amongst the more expensive end of the market on here so perhaps the price I've paid is reasonable.

I'll be asking for advice with regards to apps etc so watch this space. I have to say I don't feel scammed but that might be ignorance on my behalf as I have no experience of tablet computers/androids at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back