• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweden in July 2014 (1 Viewer)

jeigenauer

Snowy Owl
Hello

I will have about 7-8 days in Sweden during the first weeks in July. I will be starting in Stockholm but I will have a car. I do not speak the language. Can't do any camping or rugged birding. Can anyone make suggestions?

Thanks!

John

Sweden in July

Hello John,

Although July is not the best time for bird watching, you still can see a lot, especially in Sweden. Unlike in the US which is overcrowded during the school holidays season (except Alaska), you don't see such crowds in Sweden. You'll be surprised how few people you'll see in Swedish National parks comparing to the US. I would recommend starting with this website:

http://www.naturvardsverket.se/en/

Here you can read about Swedish National parks and find their contact information. You can visit several of them, Sweden is a small country comparing to the US.

When I go to Sweden, I usually do one of two things.

1. Find a few parks, then rent a house in the area for a week. Most of these houses are very good and VERY affordable. This is a good web site for it:

http://www.cottages-for-holidays.com/

From there you can travel wherever you like.

2. You can stay in the park itself. Many parks have cabins, they are good and also very affordable, although this is a bit more expensive option than renting. But you are right in the park (or very close to it). For instance, one of my best times in Sweden I spent in Tiveden NP this way, and it's only 280 km from Stockholm. In July the advance reservation is probably recommended.

I don't speak Swedish either, but I almost never had communication problem, since most people in Sweden speak English.

Peter

Swedes love talking to americans! You don't have to know the language at all, even if you knew swedish they will talk american english. Probably has to do with with our heavily US-influenced TV culture.

Where in Sweden will you stay? And are there any certain species you'd like to see?
July is the best time for waders, this is when they start migrating southwards.

You don't have to go to the national parks to see birds, but if you want to have that wilderness feeling you'd want to visit one.

My recommendation is to check out www.birdsafarisweden.se
for a guided tour in Svartådalen.

Thank you for the recommendation. It looks like we will arrive in Stockholm about June 18 and stay for about 10 days -- a little earlier than I thought originally. We'll rent a car (because I assume that it is easy to get around). From there, my plans are still open. Any birding recommendations are most welcome.

John

A car is indeed the best way to get around, even if many places can be reached by public transport.

End of June is a nice time in Sweden. Birds are still singing and the first waders return from the north and stop by the shallow Swedish lakes. If you visit any of the more popular birding lakes such as Hjälstaviken, Angarnsjöängen or Fysingen (all close to Stockholm) you are sure to run into other birders. Most Swedish birders are very friendly and will gladly give you tips or tell what they've seen.

Are you bringing a scope? There are relatively few hides at Swedish bird lakes, much more common are bird towers and with just binoculars many birds are too far away to see very well. (However, most people are glad to let others look through their scope if they don't have on eof their own.)

Is there anything special you want to see? Any special species or type of birds? :)

I don't have any species in mind. I have birded only quite superficially in Europe, so most anything, including common species, will be quite welcome.

Thank you

Hello

I looked up Hjälstaviken and found Hjälstaviken Lake on the north side of Rte. 263 (Enkopingsvagen Road). Is this what you are referring to?

Thank you,

John

Yes, that's the correct place.

Some map links, hopefully they work:

Hårby, where the main parking at Hjälstaviken is. The closes tower is to the south east. There are some more parkings and towers on the south east side of the lake. Big reed area in the south part of the lake.
http://www.hitta.se/karta?ref=start...&bounds=6617770:1586024,6619364:1588904&rlm=1

Angarn, main parking at Örsta. A short walk north to the lake, the hill to the east of the lake gives nice views. Fields on the south side of the lake can have som fun birds.
http://www.hitta.se/karta?ref=start...&bounds=6604596:1633299,6604995:1634019&rlm=1

Fysingen, Ströms farm. On Sundays they have a nice "Birders Café". Short walk to a tower to the south surrounded by big reed areas.
http://www.hitta.se/karta?ref=start...p-pin/point.png?140502-153833", "t":"Ström"}]

Hope you enjoy your visit!

//Björn

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back