• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
I have a Leica APO 62 scope with a SRB Griturn swing-away adapter.
Would the P5100 be compatible with this adapter???
Thanks.

What settings do you all use for the P5100 (in average conditions)?

Thanks.

Aperture Priority 70% , Manual Exposure 30 % (usually for white birds )
Spot Metering (-0.7 comp dialled in all the time )
Spot or Center Focus - Manual
Continuous
Macro (10.1mm in the zoom range is the end of the Green Zone)
iso 100 is Default or 64 if the light is good or the subject stands still

Hopes this helps, Neil.

1st go with the Nikon ...

Well they might not be as good as you guys would take, but I'm chuffed. Having exhausted all the interesting bushes in the garden I took myself off to the local patch and had a proper go with the Nikon P5100. Unfortunately I couldn't use the tripod or my hide clamp so these are all taken using a bean bag

DSCN0017-900.jpg DSCN0039-900.jpg DSCN0044-900.jpg DSCN0035-900.jpg

And the last one show the canada's in the flesh as it were with no scope attached.

Be gentle:-O:smoke:

Well they might not be as good as you guys would take, but I'm chuffed. Having exhausted all the interesting bushes in the garden I took myself off to the local patch and had a proper go with the Nikon P5100. Unfortunately I couldn't use the tripod or my hide clamp so these are all taken using a bean bag

View attachment 115528 View attachment 115529 View attachment 115530 View attachment 115531

And the last one show the canada's in the flesh as it were with no scope attached.

Be gentle:-O:smoke:

Not bad Nick.Far better than my first shots with the P5100.......took over a 100 shots of an obliging Curlew in glorious sunshine and ended up binning them all.......it's a big learning curve mate and as they say.......practice makes perfect.

UR-E20 - Help Wanted

The Nikon site says the UR-E20 is an accessory for the P5100.

It doesn't fit! Am I missing something?

First pix with P5100

I got special permission to take my P5100 Xmas present with me to the Gambia at the end of November.

I got some reasonable results though haven't experimented with all the settings yet. These were taken in Normal program using the 3s timer (with ATS65HD and x20 eyepiece). Fine if the subject isn't moving.

Iain

Attachments

• four-banded sandgrouse.jpg
    four-banded sandgrouse.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 524
  • wood sandpiper.jpg
    wood sandpiper.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 569
Iain,
You must be happy with these first efforts. You're on your way.
It's worthwhile practicing with the zoom at 60x and using Infinity Focus and manually focussing the scope. You'll be amazed at what you can digiscope at around 60x magnification in good light. Definitely use the Self-timer for this though.
Good luck, Neil.

I am a complete novice at this and find my photos are out of focus. I am using the P5100 with Swaro ATS . I have attached my best Widgeon shot from today.

Any help gladly received

Attachments

• DSCN0406_edited.jpg
    DSCN0406_edited.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 537
Darren

As you can see in the picture, the water behind the Widgeon is perfectly in focus, so either you didn,t have the scope focused properly, or the camera is not set up properly.

Am just off to the hospital to visit my mother who has been in over Xmas. When I get back I will list the settings I have on my P5100

Malc

Hiya Darren

Back from hospital now.
Mother is 90, a good head on her, fortunatley, but arthritus in legs and foot. She fell on the quiet road outside her bungalow, putting the rubbish bag out last Sunday. She was taken in by a passing motorist, who she knew. We were out birding so couldn't be contacted. She ended up at A and E. Nothing broken, chipped the pelvic bone. Hopefully will be transfered for physio at rehab hospital very soon, with prospect of going home as soon as she can get about with a frame.

The settings for the camera

P5100

Setup Menu

Not all settings listed, only the important ones.

Brightness 5
VR On
AF assist Off
Digital Zoom Off

Shooting Menu

Image Quality Fine
Image size 12m
Optimize Image Custom…….Contrast 0……..Sharpening 0……Saturation 0
White Balance Auto
Iso 200 max, have used 400 with ok results.
Metering Spot
Continuous Continuous
Auto Bracket Off
AF area mode Manual
Auto Focus mode Full time
Flash control Off
Fixed aperture Off
Noise reduction Auto
Converter Off
Distortion Off

I don’t use more than Iso 200.
Also I don’t have any, in camera sharpening, prefer to do that in Photoshop
From tests I made, there will be more depth of field, and so therefore more chance of getting the subject in focus. By using aperture priority, and setting as high an aperture as possible, depending on the light of course. Examples of the test are on our digiscoping web pages. And also examples of pictures taken.

Web page here http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5000pictures.htm

If you need anymore help don't hesitate to ask.

Malc

Thanks Malc,

I have programmed that lot in. I will give it a go tomorrow. I like your pics especially the Dartford Warblers.

Cheers
Darren

Yes and I was lucky to get those pictures.
Saw the Dartford in the gorse, and it eventually got nearer the top, but a dog walker appeared, did manage to get the first shot.
The bird flew on about 8 metres into another bush, again I waited till it showed well, and sure enough just as it did, another dog walker put it up, so only had the one chance again.

Malc

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back