• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BD-II 8x42 Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Bear83

Hello everyone, in light of all the excitement surrounding the release of the new Kowa BD-II series I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to look thru or handle the 8x42 model? I'm looking to find a replacement for a pair of Zen Ray ED3's and was curious if any forum members had real world experience with the 8x42. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

I just got one, but I have not had a chance to properly field test it yet.

The initial impression is positive: excellent mechanics, a very nice finish and build quality (with clickstops on the eyecups that work very well).
The optics also make a good first impression; the field of view isn’t very wide like on the 6.5x32 model, but with 8.2 degrees = 143m is quite satisfactory, CA correction is good, the image appears as bright, central sharpness is good, off-axis sharpness is very satisfactory (actually better in my view than in the 6.5x32 model).

Eye relief is 17mm according to the specs; what I call „useful eye relief“ (measured from the rim of the eyecup) is still 15mm, so probably will work if you are wearing glasses while observing.

I plan to test it sometime against a number of similarly priced 8x42, but happy to answer specific questions, if any.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Canip

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back