• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A. R. Phillips. The Known Birds of North and Middle America. (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
The following eponyms continue to elude me, since I have been unable to access this publication. Sadai could refer to a Mexican businessman or a poet. Roberti may be the US ornithologist Burt L. Monroe, Jr. Ramosi may be the Mexican conservationist Mario A. Ramos Olmos who died in 2006. Can anyone throw any light on these names? With thanks in advance.

●Phillips, A. R. 1986-1991. The Known Birds of North and Middle America. Parts 1-2. Denver.

1986 Thryomanes bewickii sadai Phillips, Pt. 1, p. 153 [subsp. Thryomanes bewickii]
1986 Thryothorus modestus roberti Phillips, Pt. 1, p. 163 [syn. Cantorchilus modestus]
1991 Catharus fuscescens levyi Phillips, Pt. 2, p. 100 [syn. Catharus fuscescens]
1991 Vireolanius pulchellus ramosi Phillips, Pt. 2, p. 167 [subsp. Vireolanius pulchellus]
1991 Vireo griseus marshalli Phillips, Pt. 2, p. 177 [subsp. Vireo griseus]
1991 Vireosylva amauronota palmeri Phillips, Pt. 2, p. 218 [subsp. Vireo leucophrys]

James here are the pertinent etymological excerpts from Phillips:

1986 Thryomanes bewickii sadai Phillips, Pt. 1, p. 153 [subsp. Thryomanes bewickii]

"I take great pleasure in dedicating this race to Ing. Andrew M. Sada, whose help has been important in my work generally, and particularly in my studies of NE Mexican birds."

1986 Thryothorus modestus roberti Phillips, Pt. 1, p. 163 [syn. Cantorchilus modestus]

"Dedicated to Robert Ridgway...."

1991 Catharus fuscescens levyi Phillips, Pt. 2, p. 100 [syn. Catharus fuscescens]

"Dedicated with pleasure to Seymour H. Levy in recognition of his ill-rewarded contributions to ornithology and conservation and of his help to T.D. Burleigh and myself."

1991 Vireolanius pulchellus ramosi Phillips, Pt. 2, p. 167 [subsp. Vireolanius pulchellus]

"To Mario A. Ramos, in recognition of his help and of his important contributions to ornithology and conservation in Mexico and Latin America."

1991 Vireo griseus marshalli Phillips, Pt. 2, p. 177 [subsp. Vireo griseus]

"To Dr. Joe T. Marshall...."

1991 Vireosylva amauronota palmeri Phillips, Pt. 2, p. 218 [subsp. Vireo leucophrys][/QUOTE]

"To Ralph S. Palmer..."

Andy

Some additional info ...

From what I understand (without digging real deep) those birds commemorate:

Thryomanes bewickii sadai PHILLIPS 1986 = the Mexican Engineer, Chemist, Industrialist and Ornithologist Andrés Marcelo Sada Zambrano (1930–) also known (in English interpretations of his name) as; Andrew M. Sada.

Thryothorus modestus roberti PHILLIPS 1986 = the well-known Robert Ridgway (1850–1929).

Catharus fuscescens levyi PHILLIPS 1986 = the American Ornithologist, Zoologist, Taxidermist and Conservationist Seymour H. Levy (ca. 1922/23–winter 2012/2013).

Vireolanius pulchellus ramosi PHILLIPS 1991 = the Mexican Ornithologist Dr. Mario Alberto Ramos Olmos (1949–2006).

Vireo griseus marshalli PHILLIPS 1991 (as well as the Cloud-forest Screech-Owl Megascops marshalli WESKE & TERBORGH 1981) = the American Zoologist and Ornithologist Dr. Joe Truesdell Marshall (1918–).

Vireosylva amauronota palmeri PHILLIPS 1991 = The American Naturalist (Zoologist, Ornithologist, Geologist etc. etc.) Professor Ralph Simon Palmer (1914–2003).

PS. I hope this can help you a little further in your research ...

Last edited:
Thryomanes bewickii sadai PHILLIPS 1986 = the Mexican Engineer, Chemist, Industrialist and Ornithologist Andrés Marcelo Sada Zambrano (1930–) also known (in English interpretations of his name) as; Andrew M. Sada.

If I read here I think he died 19. January 2018. On Facebook here

El pasado 19 de enero, a los 87 años, murió Andrés Marcelo Sada Zambrano, expresidente de la Coparmex y, expresidente del consejo de administración Cydsa.

Last edited:
By the way Seymour Harry Levy ist the full name. Please see page 44 (or LIIII) of Membership List of the A. O. U..

From the dates provided by Björn, it could be him

Mr Seymour H. Levy​

Indianapolis, Indiana

Jul 13, 1922 – Feb 16, 2013 (Age 90)

But nothing abut birds is mentioned.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Seymour H. Levy (b.1922) is an ornithologist and conservationist. He worked for the Idaho State Fish and Game Department (1949). He lived Arizona (1984–1992) and now lives in Indiana. He wrote Summer Birds in Southern Idaho (1950). Phillips stated that he had named the bird after Levy '... in recognition of his ill-rewarded contributions to ornithology and conservation, and of his help to Thomas D. D. Burleigh and myself'.

All not about a railway career.

From the dates provided by Björn, it could be him
I think this is a namesake.

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/LXSB-11J/seymour-harry-levy-1923-2013 -
Seymour Harry Levy
1923–2013 (Age 89)

The Life Summary of Seymour Harry
When Seymour Harry Levy was born on 12 July 1923, in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States, his father, Harry Hirsch Levy, was 31 and his mother, Helen Margaret Beatty, was 20. He registered for military service in 1940. He died on 28 February 2013, in Tucson, Pima, Arizona, United States, at the age of 89, and was buried in Tucson, Pima, Arizona, United States.

(Tucson AZ is where he was said to live in the AOU lists.)

Last edited:
I also (back then, way back, in December 2013) saw and noted the Obituary of the Indianapolis, Indiana railroad conductor, and namesake; Seymour Harry Levy (13 July 1922 – 13 February 2013), but fobbed him off, as highly unlikely (not much Nature found around that guy).

Re. the Death of "our guy" Seymour H. [Harry] Levy (of Tuscon, Arizona) I didn't get any closer than what's told below:

ARIZONA SEASONAL REPORTS
WINTER 2012-2013

[...]​
Arizona field ornithology lost one of its outstanding representatives this winter with the passing of Seymour H. Levy. An active researcher in the state, he made many notable discoveries, including many state records, such as Mississippi Kite and the first documented Crested Caracara nests. He and his brother Jim, who is still actively birding, are known for rediscovering the Masked Bobwhite in Sonora, Mexico after it was thought to be extinct.

[from here]​

Though, I'm not even sure about the guy that Laurent found yesterday. Could be yet another namesake ... ?!?

[Disclaimer; that is, if this guy ("Harry Hirsch Levy") was the Father of the certain Seymour Harry Levy that Laurent suggested, of course]

Note that we're looking for a Seymour Levy, who had a Brother ('Jim'), the latter is mentioned (not only in the quote above), but repeatedly in various articles about Seymour Levy's ornithological work (most often in texts related to Bobwhites).

Also see (for example); here.

Good luck finding, and pin-pointing, him!

Björn

Last edited:
Note that we're looking for a Seymour Levy, who had a Brother ('Jim'), the latter is mentioned (not only in the quote above), but repeatedly in various articles about Seymour Levy's ornithological work (most often in texts related to Bobwhites).

On [MyHeritage] (an easy way to get to the right record is to search the page for "James"), there is a (partly hidden, as usual) record reading:
Seymour Harry Levy, born 1923
Seymour Harry Levy was born on [month] [day] 1923, at [birth place], Illinois, to Harry Hirch Levy and Helen Margaret Levy (born Beatty).
Harry was born on July 5 1892, in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States.
Helen was born on October 13 1902, in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States.
Seymour had one sister: Miriam Kay Johnson (born Levy).
Seymour passed away at [death place], Arizona.

Documents of Seymour Harry Levy

Seymour Harry Levy in U.S. Public Records Index
Seymour Harry Levy was born on [month] [day] 1923.
Seymour lived on [month] [day] 1967, at [address].

Seamore Levy in 1930 United States Federal Census
Seamore Levy was born circa 1924, at [birth place], Illinois, to Harry Levy and Marguerite Levy.
Seamore had 2 siblings: Miriam K Levy and [one other sibling].
Seamore lived in 1930, at [address], Illinois.

Seymour Levy in 1940 United States Federal Census
Seymour Levy was born circa 1924, at [birth place], to Harry Levy and Helen Levy.
Seymour had 2 siblings: James Levy and [one other sibling].
Seymour lived in 1935, at [address], Illinois.
He lived in 1940, at [address], Illinois.
This is obviously the same person as in my last post (born in Illinois in 1923 to the same mother and father, with the same sister, deceased in Arizona).
In the family tree, he apparently only has one sister recorded; but, in the 1930 and 1940 US censuses, he had two siblings and, in the 1940 census, one of these siblings was named James.

Last edited:
Thanks, Laurent! (y) ... and sorry for my somewhat tardy response (it's rather hard to keep up with all the latest additions, in various threads, caused by Martin's recent frenzy, in a multitude of threads and topics ... even if ever so welcomed)

However, it sure looks like James 'Jim' Levy is the Brother I was looking for ... I just couldn't, didn't find (or simply missed) him. The only sibling I found (earlier) was his sister. Thereby my (somewhat unwarranted) scepticism.

Though, I presumed this would be the case. We've surely seen cases of namesakes before, but even two Seymour Harry Levy, with similar years, was almost too good to be true. Both born in July, in the early 1920's (only one year apart), both died in February 2013. That there, on top of those two, would have been a third Seymour H. Levy, in about the same Era, seemed a bit too far-fetched, or (to say the least) highly unlikely. But, you know ... one has to check all the bits and pieces, whatever gnawing fact, as far as possible, until it make sense (at least until one feel convinced enough, just to drop it).

Either way; no wonder the Eponym Dictionary ... (2014) got them confused. From what I've seen, I don't think "our guy", Seymour Harry Levy, ever lived in Indiana. Looks like he's stayed in Arizona (that is after having arrived there, of course). And his younger brother 'Jim' could possibly still be there, in Arizona. At least he was there in April 2014.

See the following quotes (and links):
Gallizioli, S., S. Levy, and J. Levy. 1967. Can the masked bobwhite be saved from extinction? Audubon Field Notes 2:571-575.
[...]
Jim Levy, Retired (“re-discoverer” of the masked bobwhite and naturalist), Tucson, AZ

[from here, pp. 33 & 36]​

Levy, S. H., and J. J. Levy. 1984. Report of a brief reconnaissance of the Buenos Aires Ranch during August 1982 and 1983 in search of the Masked Bobwhite. Report to the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Albuquerque, NM.

[ditto here, unpaginated, but in alphabetical order.]​

For or Jim and Seymour Levy, it had been a disastrous week. Tattered and torn, the Tucson ornithologists had followed rumors and hearsay into some of the wildest backcountry of the Mexican state of Sonora. Their mission: to locate a last remnant population of North America's rarest quail. ...

[here, pp.32–37, or see attached excerpt]​

Also see this Thesis, by Richard A. Bishop (1964):
THE MEARNS QUAIL (CYRTONYX MONTEZUMAE MEARNSI) IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA
[...]
I wish to express my gratitude to James and Seymour Levy, who initiated the interest and helped gain financial support for this study, for their field assistance and constant help throughout the project.

[in ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS, on p.iv]

Seymour and James Levy, Tucson taxidermists, observed large numbers of birds in the Santa Rita Mountains during 1956.

[on p.50]​

And this: Overview of the Endangered Species Program, by Glen Smart [in; Perry, M.C. (Ed.), 2016, The history of Patuxent—America’s wildlife research story: U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1422]:
... we received the first bobwhites from two brothers in Tucson, Jim and Seymour Levy. They had been studying the birds on their own, and had a few birds in captivity. ...

[on p.144]​

Well, ... there he was, and is, confirming the relationship/brotherhood betwenn James 'Jim' Levy, and his older Brother Seymour H. Levy ("our guy"), thus: at last we've got him, and them; "it's a wrap"!

Thus and thereby; ...

levyi as in:
• the invalid (Willow) Veery (Trush) ssp. "Catharus fuscescens levyi"* PHILLIPS 1991 (i.e. not "1986" as I erroneously, and somewhat sloppy, wrote it, back in 2013, in #5, ... sorry about that)
= the US Ornithologist, Zoologist, Taxidermist and Conservationist Seymour Harry Levy (1923–2013), in short; born on 12 July 1923, in Chicago, Illinois, and onwards (as already told, or shown) ... until he died 28 February 2013, in Tucson, Arizona.

And; thanks again Laurent, for finding the proper years (of both Birth and Death), as well as the true identity of "our" Mr. Seymour H. Levy. 🎖️

If I at times appear too sceptical, and slightly over-suspicious, in cases like this (and other, like the recent Dodson case), I'd say it's just a result of having spent High School in a Class with four guys by the name Mikael (two Mikael Johansson, one Mikael Johnsson, and one Mikael Pettersson). After such an experience misleading names, and mix-ups, simply becomes part of one's system. 🙄

And, .... just to confuse things; here (in April 2014), the same old guy (well in his 90's) is called "John" Levy (in the Photo by-line), standing by the Camp fire, telling the AZFO audience memories about the caracaras (in Arizona), of when he; " ... with his brother Seymour, discovered the first Crested Caracara nest in the state in 1960". Though note that he's; "Jim Levy", in the note of "thanks ...", at the very end of the same Survey report.

As there is a chance that 'Jim' might still be alive, let's not search for his dates of Birth (due to the risk of Identity theft). I think we can just leave him there. By the campfire ... and remember that he himself hasn't been commemorated in any bird (at least not as far as I know). The only reason why I wanted to find him (as well), was to pin-point his older brother Seymour, and to put both of them in context (and as such, to exclude any other possible, even if highly unlikely, namesakes). Nothing else.

However, that we've done, theryby; case closed (at least on my part).

Thanks also to Martin for finding the missing "H." (Harry) part, making it possible to find the correct "our guy"! (y)

levyi (and the Levy Brothers) ... over and out.

Björn
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*as far as I can tell, it ought to be a synonym of today's ssp. Catharus fuscescens salicicola (Ridgway, 1882),
a k a Hylocichla/Turdus fuscescens salicicolus.

Attachments

• Arizona Highways, June 1986, p.33.jpg
    Arizona Highways, June 1986, p.33.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Nothing new. Just what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Bewick's Wren ssp. Thryomanes bewickii sadai A. R. Phillips, 1986
Andrés Marcelo Sada Zambrano (b.1930) is a Mexican mechanical engineer, ornithologist and sound recordist who has supplied Mexican bird vocalisations to Cornell's Macaulay Library. He was one of the founders and a former President of Pronatura, established as Mexican Association Pro Conservation of Nature (1981). He is currently Chairman of the Board of the Mexican Fund for the Conservation of Nature. He co-wrote Nombres en Castellano para las Aves Mexicanas (1987) with Phillips (q.v.) and Ramos (q.v.).

levyi as in:
• the invalid (Willow) Veery (Trush) ssp. "Catharus fuscescens levyi"* PHILLIPS 1991 (i.e. not "1986" as I erroneously, and somewhat sloppy, wrote it, back in 2013, in #5, ... sorry about that)
= the US Ornithologist, Zoologist, Taxidermist and Conservationist Seymour Harry Levy (1923–2013), in short; born on 12 July 1923, in Chicago, Illinois, and onwards (as already told, or shown) ... until he died 28 February 2013, in Tucson, Arizona.

As I came across another Lewy here (most probably Bergnart Carl Lewy) I realized that the key on levy may need an update with Laurents and Björns dates?

Last edited:
... I realized that the key on levy may need an update ...?
I would assume (even if I haven't seen the OD) that this would also be the case for ...

seymouri as in:
• the extinct (subfossil) Caracara seymouri SUÁREZ & OLSON 2014

In today's Key explained (only) as:
seymouri
Seymour H. Levy (b. 1923) US ornithologist, taxidermist, conservationist (‡Caracara).

Compare with today's Key entry for:
levyi
Seymour Harry Levy (1923-2013) US field-ornithologist, conservationist (Andy Kratter in litt.) (syn. Catharus fuscescens salicicola).

Just an observation ...

/B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back