• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boodang from budang, boobook from bubuk ... and onwards (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a brief etymological follow-up from the thread Muscicapa boodang (here) in the Main Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature Forum.

According to the fairly recent Paper Reviving unique words: The niche of scientific names (2014), by David Nash (here):

boodang LESSON 1837 [p.7]
= originally from budang, an aboriginal name of this bird (from around Sydney)

A k a "Bood-dang" (in another Enlish interpretation) or bouddang (in French) alt. "Gobe Mouche Boddang"

The same Paper also tells us:

• (Ninox) boobook LATHAM 1801 [p.6] = bukbuk (alt. Bōkbōk), meaning an owl, in Sydney language

• (Falco) berigora VIGORS & HORSFIELD 1827 [p.6] = biraagaarr (alt. biyaagaarr or beeargah), meaning hawk, in Sydney language or of the ditto in Sydney hinterland

• (Gerygone) mouki MATHEWS 1912 [p.7]... "see discussion, section 3.3"

... and onwards (mostly other animals, fossils and plants).

For what it´s worth!
--

Last edited:
Well done, mate! Quite fascinating for our type of outback investigators . . . (I'm serious)
I was puzzling with an obscure name Sylvia patyhra Kuhl, which occurs in a text (from 1836) about the Preanger Regencies of Java. Whatever kind of word could that be (not Malay, Javan, etc.)? Eventually I realised that it was taken from a hand-written letter, most probably quite unreadable for persons unfamiliar with the author, and that patyhra is just a misinterpreted version of condensely written polychroa (Prinia polychroa, of Java)! Another Sherlock Holmes effort . . .
Cheers, Jan van der Brugge

Regarding mouki ...from the Nash Paper (link in post #1):
3.3 Spurious instance
It has been suggested (Higgins & Peter 2002:308) that the species name of the bird Gerygone mouki, Western Gerygone, could be from an Australian language. The type specimen of Gerygone laevigaster mouki is from Cairns (Mathews 1912:310). Zonaeginthus (Taeniopygia) castanotis mouki, a no longer recognised subspecies of Zebra Finch from Rockhampton, was also named by Mathews (1912:427). No equivalent bird name has been found in any Australian language. Mathews did not comment on the origin of mouki and he was known for commemorating local collectors in this way (Kendall 1912), marked by the Latin Genitive -i. His application of it in two distinct genera also indicates that mouki is unlikely to have been a word for a kind of bird, so I do not follow the suggestion that mouki originates from an Australian language, and I speculate that Mathews commemorated someone with the uncommon personal name Mouk.
As both those mouki birds originated from Queensland I think we ought to look for any Mr. Mouk situated in that certain state. There´s still people living today by that name, in Queensland. However, this far, I´ve found none contemporary connected to Mathews.

Anyone else know of Mr. Mouk?

Anyone else know of Mr. Mouk?
I know nothing about a Mr Mouk, but the type of Gerygone laevigaster mouki Mathews 1912 [OD] was collected by a Mr Todd (Lecroy 2008 [here], p.181), and that of Zonaeginthus castanotis mouki Mathews 1912 [OD] was obtained from a Mr Thorpe (Lecroy 2013 [here], p.104).
The fact that several new names introduced by Mathews close to his mouki, and that look superficially like eponyms, are in fact toponyms, doesn't help -- alexandrae (Alexandra, NT, simple genitive), coongani (Coongan River, simple genitive), mungi (Mungi, NWA, twice, unmodified name in apposition).

berigora, boobook and boodang (... as well as mouki)

Here's yet another Paper (even if a few years old, this time/one from 2016) by Mr Nash, all well worth the read, with some additional pieces, compared to his 2014 Paper (see post #1):

David Nash (2016). In the margins of some Australian dictionaries: exploring the etymology of berigora. In Language, land & song: Studies in honour of Luise Hercus, edited by Peter K. Austin, Harold Koch & Jane Simpson. London: EL Publishing. pp. 263-276 (here)

As the Title indicate this Paper deals mainly with the origin and etymology of the Brown Falcon Falco berigora Vigors & Horsfield (1827), a k a "Brown Hawk" (by Gould), and it sure does, in every thinkable, linguistic detail/angle, presumably originating in:
The best match I have found in vocabularies of Australian languages is biyaagaarr (Ash et al. 2003: 42) ‘Brown falcon’ in the Yuwaalayaay and Yuwaalaraay pair of languages, the same word (as beeargah ‘hawk’) for a ...

[Reference: Ash, Anna, John Giacon & Amanda Lissarrague. 2003. Gamilaraay, Yuwaalaraay & Yuwaalayaay dictionary. Alice Springs: Institute for Aboriginal Development Press.]
And onwards (via biraanggaarr, birrangga, ... etc., etc.), in the most minute detail regarding its origin (pp.265-271), incl. an even more thorough "Etymological discussion of berigora", on pp.268-270), all in all ending up with the following Conclusion (on p.271):
Historical linguistic analysis has allowed the linking of the species name of Falco berigora with a ‘hawk’ character in Aboriginal legendary tales recorded in the 19th century. The word can be traced to the Sydney hinterland, but not to a particular language, most likely of the form birVgaarra or birVgaarr (where V is i or a).

The same Paper also (even if far more potted) deals with the following names, and their origin respectively:

• Southern/Australian Boobook (Owl) Ninox boobook (Latham 1801), earlier a k a either "boobokspökuggla" [sic] or "Boobook-uggla" (in Swedish, thereby my particular interest):
"... presumably assisted by its onomatopœia; it was first recorded from "Bōkbōk ‘An owl’ in the vocabulary noted by Lieutenant William Dawes in 1790-91, the early English colony at Sydney ..."

[Reference: "Dawes, William & Anonymous. 2009. The notebooks of William Dawes on the Aboriginal languages of Sydney. London: SOAS.http://www. williamdawes.org."]

• Scarlet Robin (Muscicapa) Petroica boodang (Lesson 1837):
"The word behind the species of P. boodang was first recorded in the caption ‘Crimson-breasted Warbler, native name Bood-dang’ (Port Jackson Painter [between 1788 and 1797])."

[Reference: "Port Jackson Painter. [between 1788 and 1797]. ‘Crimson-breasted Warbler’, native name ‘Bood-dang’. First Fleet artwork collection. The Watling collection – no. 282. http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/art-nature- imaging/collections/first-fleet/art-collection/collections.dsml?stype=colls &lastDisp=list&coll=watling&beginIndex=127."]

• Nash also made the following comment [more or less repeated, and in line with what he wrote in 2014] on mouki (as in the Brown/Western Gerygone Gerygone mouki, Mathews, 1912, and the invalid ssp. Zonaeginthus/Taeniopygia castanotis "mouki", Mathews, 1912):
"No equivalent bird name has been found in any Australian language. Gregory Mathews (who, by the way, was the son of the prolific language recorder R.H. Mathews) did not comment on the origin of mouki, none of the many other names he bestowed were from an Australian language word, and he was known for commemorating local collectors in this way (Kendall 1912), marked by the Latin Genitive -i. His application of it in two distinct genera also indicates that mouki is unlikely to have been a word for a kind of bird, so I do not follow the suggestion that mouki originates from an Australian language, and I speculate that Mathews commemorated someone with the uncommon personal name Mouk."
Contrary to this comment, as we've seen countless times, Mathews equally/often named many toponyms in the same way; "marked by the Latin Genitive -i.", thereby (in my mind) it could very well be an eponym, but just as well a toponym (like Laurent pointed out in post #4). I choose to see Nash's comment (intention?) simply as excluding it as an autochthonym [i.e. not originating in a/any local bird name, thus not from a/any native (aboriginal, Australian) language].

However, enjoy!

Björn

PS. The latter, not to confuse with Mouk Island (a k a Mok Island, Mok Mandrian), in the St Andrews Group/Islands, Manus Province, Bismarck Archipelago, North off (Papua) New Guinea (both birds were collected in Queensland, mainland Australia), and certainly not with the little bear Mouk, who travels the world on his bike (a French animated television series, that hardly makes it easier to search for the origin of mouki) ;)

PPS. James, I have already sent you a PDF copy (of the first-mentioned paper above).

Also see the fairly recent (updated/revised) book:

Australian Bird Names: Origins and Meanings, by Ian Fraser & Jeannie Gray (2nd Edition, 2019*), and their comments on; berigora (here), boobook (here), boodang (here), and mouki (here).

This book also deals with other (supposedly/likewise indigenous) English/Australian names like; Gang-gang, Currawong and Kookaburra (here).

Enjoy!

Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back