Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Corona virus threat to birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 08:14   #626
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

It does seem that you are meant to do the exercise from your house but as others have said this is not really logical. I will go for a run from my urban house and try my hardest to keep my distance from others on the pavement. However if I go in my car to the King's Forest or Rendlesham Forest for birding or a run I can easily avoid going within about 10m of anyone let alone 2.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 08:21   #627
viator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Good news but I'll bet that Trump, prematurely re-opens business in the US.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52009108
To try and save his hotel and real estate business interests his main priority?
Last Lifer: Javan Scops Owl (#4184, Sep 11, 2019)
Top 3 Countries: Indonesia (709), Thailand (576), China (573)
Last 2020 Bird: Roseate Tern (#290, Apr 5)
www.viatorphoto.com/wildlife_galleries/birds
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 08:30   #628
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator View Post
To try and save his hotel and real estate business interests his main priority?
Some of which were apparently already in trouble?
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 09:11   #629
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff hopkins View Post
It has McConnell's reptilian paws all over it. Trump is incapable of strategy.
One of his 'posse' has tested positive yet, having been tested, it seems he didn't 'self isolate' before he got the result - pure dumbassery.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/23/211909...ors-quarantine

If you guys were really lucky, the virus could take out the whole Rep leadership!
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 09:12   #630
MalR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs View Post
It does seem that you are meant to do the exercise from your house but as others have said this is not really logical. I will go for a run from my urban house and try my hardest to keep my distance from others on the pavement. However if I go in my car to the King's Forest or Rendlesham Forest for birding or a run I can easily avoid going within about 10m of anyone let alone 2.

I tend to agree with this. If you're allowed to drive to the supermarket, why not be allowed to drive to an area for exercise where you're less likely to meet people than if you stayed close to home?

On a lighter note (always important to keep a sense of humour during dark times), presumably barber shops will be closing. Depending on how long this lasts, we're all going to look like we've just stepped out of the 70s. I mentioned this to my wife and she said she'd cut my hair. No way. I'd prefer the Ozzy Osbourne look.

Malcolm
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 09:24   #631
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalR View Post
I tend to agree with this. If you're allowed to drive to the supermarket, why not be allowed to drive to an area for exercise where you're less likely to meet people than if you stayed close to home?

On a lighter note (always important to keep a sense of humour during dark times), presumably barber shops will be closing. Depending on how long this lasts, we're all going to look like we've just stepped out of the 70s. I mentioned this to my wife and she said she'd cut my hair. No way. I'd prefer the Ozzy Osbourne look.

Malcolm
I have some photos of me from my younger days with hair down to my waist. I thought those days were over but maybe not. I had my hair cut on Friday and said cut it very short as I don't know when I'll get chance to get it cut again. That was a good move.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 09:26   #632
PYRTLE

Quote:
Malcolm
It is classed as an uneccessau car journey, whereas supermarkets and pharmacies are allowed under the latest guidance and enforcement.....

I do not understand why some fail to accept it recognise this - it's pretty straightforward.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 09:34   #633
cheshirebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
It is classed as an uneccessau car journey, whereas supermarkets and pharmacies are allowed under the latest guidance and enforcement.....

I do not understand why some fail to accept it recognise this - it's pretty straightforward.
Yes , that’s become my understanding this morning. The information service is quieter this morning but still some reports about birds in places that seem to require driving to.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 10:20   #634
MalR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post

But surely the car journey itself isn't the issue. The nearest place I can walk to from my home is a country park which is a magnet for walkers, dog walkers, mountain bikers etc. I will come into contact with far more people there than if I drove somewhere ten or fifteen minutes away. This is the point Steve was making earlier.

The point of all this is to minimise contact between people. If driving somewhere allows me to do that, surely that is a good thing, as I'm less likely to contract the virus and bring it home to my family?

To me, this would only make sense if going outside was prohibited completely apart from essential trips to the supermarket etc.

Malcolm
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 10:48   #635
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Quote:
But surely the car journey itself isn't the issue. The nearest place I can walk to from my home is a country park which is a magnet for walkers, dog walkers, mountain bikers etc. I will come into contact with far more people there than if I drove somewhere ten or fifteen minutes away. This is the point Steve was making earlier.

The point of all this is to minimise contact between people. If driving somewhere allows me to do that, surely that is a good thing, as I'm less likely to contract the virus and bring it home to my family?

To me, this would only make sense if going outside was prohibited completely apart from essential trips to the supermarket etc.

Malcolm
What doesn't get emphasised enough in my opinion, is it's not just contact between people, but contact via surfaces. Opening a gate, pay and display machines are all going to add to the infections.

The problem with you driving 15 minutes, is you can infect someone driving from 15 minutes in the opposite direction, as everyone has the same idea to go somewhere quiet. Then instead of isolated localised outbreaks, we are going to have cases everywhere.

Stay local, and if you think that is a risk, then stay at home sadly, or go out very early when it is quieter. Otherwise its going to last a lot longer.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 10:49   #636
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Should I have the virus, the risk of me passing it on to anyone by driving to the countryside - and I would deliberately chose an area where there is very few people - is very close to zero. I still have 680 miles of fuel left in my tank so I wouldn't even have to go to a fuel station for a long time and when I did I deliberately chose pay at the pump and wore gloves which I then disposed of. But I am entitled to run around my fairly large town. Now having read the risks of that it's pretty minimal too but I'd come much closer to others. I also ensure I do not touch any surfaces with my hands when out.

However, I am frankly terrified about the thought of going to the supermarket. I have managed to get some essential supplies - wine - ordered online.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 10:55   #637
andyadcock

I'd advise wearing gloves if you pay for goods by putting in a pin code at the checkout.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 11:10   #638
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
I'd advise wearing gloves if you pay for goods by putting in a pin code at the checkout.
There would appear to be a very good case for increasing the contactless limit at the moment.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 11:15   #639
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
There would appear to be a very good case for increasing the contactless limit at the moment.
Would work - with social/physical distancing it will be harder for criminals to abuse the system presumably.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 11:18   #640
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Being rather under-worked at home - it's fair to say not all children have fully embraced on-line learning - I have now started a from my study window list and it's reached the dizzy heights of 5! I'm not well located for birding in my backyard.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 11:20   #641
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
But surely the car journey itself isn't the issue. The nearest place I can walk to from my home is a country park which is a magnet for walkers, dog walkers, mountain bikers etc. I will come into contact with far more people there than if I drove somewhere ten or fifteen minutes away. ...

Malcolm
Sorry Malcolm, while I see your frustration about these restrictions they really have to apply to everyone equally or it will simply be unsustainable. It’s hard enough for us to live under ‘lockdown’, ‘social distancing’ and ‘self-isolating’ without seeing one’s neighbours get into their nice Subara for a family jolly in the forest or driving off to do a day’s birdwatching ‘somewhere out of town’.

Some people, including BFers we’ve heard from, don’t even have an option of getting out of the Town/City (or even their front door!) (nor I might add, the option of stacking their car boot full of groceries while others can only carry a small shopping bag because they walked to their local shop!)

Given that many people gave up/made a decision not to have a car so the next generation of children might have a better chance at a healthy future, it’s a little like rubbing their noses in it now if every off-work person/families got their car out and took to the road - causing increased pollution and increased incidents of RTAs due to the excess of traffic - all because of people using their cars to ‘self-isolate’ so they can circumvent restrictions.

Bear a thought too, that extra traffic congestion means delays for our essential keyworkers getting to work, delays for army and emergency vehicles getting around and even more delays on top of the delays caused by the rapid increase of online deliveries (and could potentially even lead to a run on petrol.) (Just take a look at Snowdon last weekend when everyone had the same idea)

Why should you have more freedoms and suffer less than anyone else just because you have a car and want to go out and have fun?

Non-essential journeys is exactly that - please keep the roads clear for those that need them!
http://www.osme.org
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 11:20   #642
coaltit

Quote:
Should I have the virus, the risk of me passing it on to anyone by driving to the countryside - and I would deliberately chose an area where there is very few people - is very close to zero. I still have 680 miles of fuel left in my tank so I wouldn't even have to go to a fuel station for a long time and when I did I deliberately chose pay at the pump and wore gloves which I then disposed of. But I am entitled to run around my fairly large town. Now having read the risks of that it's pretty minimal too but I'd come much closer to others. I also ensure I do not touch any surfaces with my hands when out.

However, I am frankly terrified about the thought of going to the supermarket. I have managed to get some essential supplies - wine - ordered online.
I do the bulk of my grocery shopping on line and top up elsewhere when I have to.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 11:30   #643
coaltit

Quote:
yes I,m after a box of surgical gloves but It will mean haveing to mix a bit in our local b&m store If they have not sold out already I think the contactless Is a great alternative to cash unless fresh notes out the wall bank but that ends up changeing It with older currency eventually so the contactless is the safest way for the unseeable future.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 11:45   #644
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltit View Post
I do the bulk of my grocery shopping on line and top up elsewhere when I have to.
Unfortunately I'm not sure there is the capacity for everyone to do that for food. Quite rightly they are giving priority to the people who most need it. I may qualify as I'm asthmatic but there's people who are a lot more in the need than me.

Limit for contactless to be increased to £45 apparently. https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...nning-of-april

@SteveBabbs

Last edited by Steve Babbs : Tuesday 24th March 2020 at 11:49.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 11:50   #645
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2020

I've never ordered groceries on line and not sure I really want to. I like to select my fruit and veg individually - hate getting them in bags and nets as there's always one in the middle that's got bruised or is rotten.

My Lockdown List report

2019 Down Under Trip Report

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:03   #646
kb57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Bear a thought too, that extra traffic congestion means delays for our essential keyworkers getting to work, delays for army and emergency vehicles getting around and even more delays on top of the delays caused by the rapid increase of online deliveries (and could potentially even lead to a run on petrol.) (Just take a look at Snowdon last weekend when everyone had the same idea)

Why should you have more freedoms and suffer less than anyone else just because you have a car and want to go out and have fun?

Non-essential journeys is exactly that - please keep the roads clear for those that need them!
I must reluctantly agree with you, those are exactly the reasons as I understood it why car travel for leisure purposes is being discouraged.

That said, I'm actually in the office at the moment, as I needed to be here in order to run my business - hopefully temporarily, as I'm getting fibre broadband fitted at home on Friday (assuming telecoms staff are still working then, which I believe is the case). The office is empty, my colleagues are already home working - I've had two meetings with them already using Zoom videoconferencing, and have a Microsoft Teams meeting with clients scheduled this afternoon - the latter instead of a planned visit to Kent I was desperately trying to get out of last week. I think this is going to change the way a lot of people work permanently.

You'll be pleased to know on my short (<9 mile) journey to work traffic was very light, and few people were out and about (although we are talking rural NW Durham here...). What concerned me more is the fact several of those vehicles were being driven by older people, and whether they were heading out food shopping. Also older people out walking dogs. Maybe the message hasn't got out to the over 70s, or maybe they're just happy to take a risk.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:04   #647
cheshirebirder

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm not sure there is the capacity for everyone to do that for food. Quite rightly they are giving priority to the people who most need it. I may qualify as I'm asthmatic but there's people who are a lot more in the need than me.

Limit for contactless to be increased to £45 apparently. https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...nning-of-april
Tried over the last day or two to get either a home delivery slot or click and collect slot with all the local supermarkets - no chance. That’s into the second week of April.We’re both 69 and qualify as special consideration under some websites but makes no difference. They’re just unable to respond to the scale of demand. Going to do the food shop is by far the biggest threat to self-quarantine for us.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:08   #648
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb57 View Post
I must reluctantly agree with you, those are exactly the reasons as I understood it why car travel for leisure purposes is being discouraged.

That said, I'm actually in the office at the moment, as I needed to be here in order to run my business - hopefully temporarily, as I'm getting fibre broadband fitted at home on Friday (assuming telecoms staff are still working then, which I believe is the case). The office is empty, my colleagues are already home working - I've had two meetings with them already using Zoom videoconferencing, and have a Microsoft Teams meeting with clients scheduled this afternoon - the latter instead of a planned visit to Kent I was desperately trying to get out of last week. I think this is going to change the way a lot of people work permanently.

You'll be pleased to know on my short (<9 mile) journey to work traffic was very light, and few people were out and about (although we are talking rural NW Durham here...). What concerned me more is the fact several of those vehicles were being driven by older people, and whether they were heading out food shopping. Also older people out walking dogs. Maybe the message hasn't got out to the over 70s, or maybe they're just happy to take a risk.
Hi KB. My understanding is they are still connecting fibre optics/ broadband. My neighbour had it done this morning. Ours is booked in for Monday. The issue we have is that our broadband is so slow that it’s difficult for both of us to work from home at the same time. They have said this is definitely still booked in.

We’ll be going from 2 mb to 100mb - told you it was slow!

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:10   #649
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirebirder View Post
Tried over the last day or two to get either a home delivery slot or click and collect slot with all the local supermarkets - no chance. That’s into the second week of April.We’re both 69 and qualify as special consideration under some websites but makes no difference. They’re just unable to respond to the scale of demand. Going to do the food shop is by far the biggest threat to self-quarantine for us.
I hope you sort it out. I agree; the food shop is by far the biggest worry for me too. Well now I'm no longer in a school. Because of the idiots hoarding the shops of quite rightly put a limit on what you can buy but that makes the going to the shop 'as infrequent as possible' bit rather tricky.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:10   #650
andyadcock

From my kitchen window.

1. House Sparrow
2. Magpie
3. Carrion Crow
4. Jackdaw
5. Blue Tit
6. Great Tit
7. Long-tailed Tit
8. Blackbird