Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Corona virus threat to birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:13   #651
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
From my kitchen window.

1. House Sparrow
2. Magpie
3. Carrion Crow
4. Jackdaw
5. Blue Tit
6. Great Tit
7. Long-tailed Tit
8. Blackbird
9. Dunnock
10. Robin
11. Wood Pigeon
12. Collared Dove
13. Goldfinch
14. Greenfinch
15. Black-headed Gull
16. Starling
17. Wren
18. Rook
http://www.osme.org
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:13   #652
kb57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirebirder View Post
Tried over the last day or two to get either a home delivery slot or click and collect slot with all the local supermarkets - no chance. That’s into the second week of April.We’re both 69 and qualify as special consideration under some websites but makes no difference. They’re just unable to respond to the scale of demand. Going to do the food shop is by far the biggest threat to self-quarantine for us.
You gave an answer to my question before I posted it! This is unfortunate if there are a lot of older people (I'm 62 myself BTW...) or those who have the dreaded 'underlying health problems', who have no alternative but to go shopping themselves.

The local community association near where I live is offering to shop for those who are self-isolating or older - this needs to happen more widely. I also asked an older neighbour if he needed any shopping (he didn't as he had family to help) - everyone who is still able to get out and about should do this, you may be able to get a little guilt-free birding in along the way to the supermarket!

Last edited by kb57 : Tuesday 24th March 2020 at 12:24.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:17   #653
kb57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
Hi KB. My understanding is they are still connecting fibre optics/ broadband. My neighbour had it done this morning. Ours is booked in for Monday. The issue we have is that our broadband is so slow that it’s difficult for both of us to work from home at the same time. They have said this is definitely still booked in.

We’ll be going from 2 mb to 100mb - told you it was slow!

Rich
Thanks Rich, that's reassuring! I don't even have broadband at home, our village went from totally useless speeds too to having fibre a couple of years ago, but I like to separate work from home, don't watch much telly, and could look stuff up on the phone on 4G if I really needed to.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:24   #654
MalR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Sorry Malcolm, while I see your frustration about these restrictions they really have to apply to everyone equally or it will simply be unsustainable. It’s hard enough for us to live under ‘lockdown’, ‘social distancing’ and ‘self-isolating’ without seeing one’s neighbours get into their nice Subara for a family jolly in the forest or driving off to do a day’s birdwatching ‘somewhere out of town’.

Why should you have more freedoms and suffer less than anyone else just because you have a car and want to go out and have fun?

If that's the impression my posts have given, then I'm clearly not expressing myself very well. The point I was trying to make was nothing to do with me having fun and suffering less than anyone else. But I've obviously failed to explain what I did mean, so I'll leave it at that.

Malcolm
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:49   #655
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by delia todd View Post
I've never ordered groceries on line and not sure I really want to. I like to select my fruit and veg individually - hate getting them in bags and nets as there's always one in the middle that's got bruised or is rotten.
I’ve had great trouble finding anywhere to find a delivery date with the earliest delivery date been at least 2-3 weeks ahead. But after a great deal of trying I’ve managed to book 3 delivery days for online shopping including 1 day later this week. A lot of people with underlying conditions have had great problems just like me to find any online delivery days for less than 2-3 weeks ahead. Lots of individuals I’ve seen are still having problems finding a delivery date under 2 weeks. Maybe I’m lucky, as I have managed but it was difficult. I’m very fit as far as walking goes, but with having diabetes type 2, I voluntarily self isolated on Thursday of last week for up to 12 weeks ahead and possibly more. I’m normally out a few days every week birdwatching and it was a difficult decision to make, but my personal health is very important to me and I hope this situation is over sooner than lots of the scientists think that it will be.
Ian.

Last edited by IAN JAMES THOMPSON : Tuesday 24th March 2020 at 12:54.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:13   #656
davpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Why should you have more freedoms and suffer less than anyone else just because you have a car and want to go out and have fun?
You could just as easily argue that because some people don't have a garden, the lucky ones that do have one shouldn't be allowed to sit out in theirs.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:18   #657
Robert Wallace

It will be interesting to see how some of the "honey pot" reserves suffer financially because of the impending restrictions.
Some reserves have become "nature theme parks" where the majority of visitors are simply taking their children /dogs for a walk. Visitors supporting binoculars (never mind scopes) are in the minority.
Some reserves manage visitors better than others, for example you can visit Cley Marches (Norfolk) or Potteric Carr (S. Yorkshire) Visitor Centres and enjoy their cafe and gift shop without having to pay to walk onto the reserve. For many casual visitors that is all the want and it seems to work well.
However I acknowledge that Visitor Centres are an important source of revenue. I was talking to a volunteer at Fairburn Ings and was amazed to learn how important in terms of revenue the sale of those small metal bird and butterfly badges are. Unfortunately the UK restrictions will last during the peak visitor period.
Best of luck to the various nature organisations.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:20   #658
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davpen View Post
You could just as easily argue that because some people don't have a garden, the lucky ones that do have one shouldn't be allowed to sit out in theirs.
There's a big split between us people who live in towns and those who live in the countryside. It's easy to say don't drive anywhere if you have countryside near you. I have some lovely parks but I don't want to go there for obvious reasons.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:22   #659
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2020

I'm presuming the this year's Springwatch won't happen. Has anyone heard anything?

My Lockdown List report

2019 Down Under Trip Report

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:28   #660
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
This isn’t the politics of envy, it’s common sense my sitting in my garden has absolutely no impact on anyone else so, no, it can’t be ‘just as easily argued’.

Just received the GOV.UK text ALERT to ‘stay at home’
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:33   #661
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Quote:
you couldn't just as easily argue that.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:39   #662
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalR View Post
If that's the impression my posts have given, then I'm clearly not expressing myself very well. The point I was trying to make was nothing to do with me having fun and suffering less than anyone else. But I've obviously failed to explain what I did mean, so I'll leave it at that.

Malcolm
The only point that I’m am trying to make, is that none of these restrictions will work unless there is a perceived equity on how they are impacting the public - it’s not about 1 or 2 people doing what is essentially harmless but the impression that creates and how that can lead to masses of other people all following suit but whose actions in doing so, may have a serious impact! Just like the psychology of ‘panic buying’ = FOMO
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:40   #663
andyadcock

Quote:
Not unless you have the public walking around your garden, sorry, nonsense.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 14:27   #664
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
I'd advise wearing gloves if you pay for goods by putting in a pin code at the checkout.
Or use one of those touchpad styluses that you can get - I used one this morning when I had to enter my PIN
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 14:34   #665
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltit View Post
I do the bulk of my grocery shopping on line and top up elsewhere when I have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs View Post
Unfortunately I'm not sure there is the capacity for everyone to do that for food. Quite rightly they are giving priority to the people who most need it. I may qualify as I'm asthmatic but there's people who are a lot more in the need than me.
Yes, a big problem - up until a couple of weeks ago, only about 7% of UK population bought their day-to-day food online, now nearly everyone wants to. The supermarkets just don't have the capacity. Getting registered for priority is (according to my parents) a nightmare too, they've not been able to get through to the hotline.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 14:34   #666
kb57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Or use one of those touchpad styluses that you can get - I used one this morning when I had to enter my PIN
Just make sure you don't inadvertently put it in your mouth
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 14:48   #667
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Makes you wonder what we miss in the normal day to day rushing around!
A pair of Stock Doves are spending a lot of time in the nearby oak trees. Only ever seen them from the house in the depths of winter previously.
Also from the upstairs window, a Bat at 3pm in the sunshine, most likely a Serotine going by it's size and flight. We do get them in the exact same area, usually after dark!
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 14:54   #668
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Presume you mean year listing ... yes and general twitching. And get those moth and other invertebrate books out too
Yes year listing (being confined for the interim) might even evolve into longer stints (no pun intended) within their respective gardens and for those without... sky watching from the window. The upshot might well be that more people will find more interesting stuff (with patience) and it could be a win win all round.

Cheers
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 15:39   #669
rosbifs

So made it from Portugal back to France and now in solitary - despite Portugal having less cases than the risky France.

There were 2 passengers (including me) and a baby (not mine). So my private jet took off on time and landed 15 minutes ahead of schedule. From the plane I saw, on landing, a Red Kite, Black Kites mixed with Red following a tractor on the approach, Buzzard (common) on runway, Kestrel and a Black Shouldered Kite. Starlings at the airport, greenfinch calling and now have clocked more Kites, Nuthatch, Song Thrush calling, Collared Dove, Great Tit, Crag Martin overhead, Coal Tit, one short toed eagle overhead... So not a bad start to garden list.

As I got off the plane the police wanted a brief chat and basically make sure that I had the correct out of home paperwork and the right to be here, I was prepared. I had and explained that I had given some blank forms to the lady on the plane because she was unaware of the new rules and restrictions.

I managed to go shopping and whilst leaving some police had set up a temporary road block on a nearby roundabout and were inspecting everybodys papers. Thank god I had mine in order in advance.

I have drunk a local craft beer and am preparing myself for a bit of solitary confinement. Lots of toilet paper (essential for virus sufferers) etc....
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 16:42   #670
DMW

No lock down has been imposed in Jersey yet, though I expect it will in the coming days, so I took advantage of a glorious day and had a few hours birding. Highlights were beautiful sum plum Water Pipits, glowing pink in the sun, and a fine Black-necked Grebe, also in breeding livery. Both enjoyed from empty hides eerily devoid of the permanently resident population of chattering togs.

On the way home, plans to do a bit of shopping at the local Waitrose were terminated when I saw a line of 50 shoppers queuing to get in. Bugger that, so I diverted to a nearby Morrisons mini mart. Not only did this have full shelves and dried goods like rice and pasta that have been conspicuously absent from Waitrose for over a week, but piles of white-gold, aka bog roll. And only 2 other shoppers. I can only guess that all those people waiting patiently to get into Waitrose really couldn't survive without humus.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 17:02   #671
tenex

Quote:
'New York Governor Andrew Cuomo appeared to suggest the president was putting the country's economic well-being ahead of its public health, tweeting: "You cannot put a value on human life."
It's far too early to do it now but this is exactly what has to happen at some point, politicians have been putting a price on human lives for centuries, every time they start a war and send their men to fight.
Exactly right, even in peacetime. Life is full of risks we can't afford to eliminate; when we establish regulations on pollution or radiation for example, we have to put a dollar value on lives to calculate how much to spend on reducing exposure. The same has to be done here.

Quote:
Good news but I'll bet that Trump, prematurely re-opens business in the US.
The really infuriating thing about Trump is that he's occasionally right, but manages to make the right answer look bad! Also his "views" change too much, being incapable of consistency or strategy. Still, at times he's intuitively channeling something valid that others are unwilling to acknowledge.

I do hope he doesn't completely blow this idea, having failed even to pay attention before. I have to say I wish that more countries were taking somewhat different approaches to the crisis (as S.Korea and Singapore have) so we could learn more about what works best, there being so many unknowns and uncertainties here.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 17:15   #672
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
And only 2 other shoppers. I can only guess that all those people waiting patiently to get into Waitrose really couldn't survive without humus.
Fair trade humus Duncan!

Chris

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 17:30   #673
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Yes year listing (being confined for the interim) might even evolve into longer stints (no pun intended) within their respective gardens and for those without... sky watching from the window. The upshot might well be that more people will find more interesting stuff (with patience) and it could be a win win all round.

Cheers
If you want to upload images of any longer stints you find in your garden Ken, I promise we’ll look at them with renewed respect for the rarity potential of your London abode (any one for a temminck’s?)

Last edited by Deb Burhinus : Tuesday 24th March 2020 at 17:34. Reason: sp
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 18:00   #674
Jeff hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
Exactly right, even in peacetime. Life is full of risks we can't afford to eliminate; when we establish regulations on pollution or radiation for example, we have to put a dollar value on lives to calculate how much to spend on reducing exposure. The same has to be done here.

The really infuriating thing about Trump is that he's occasionally right, but manages to make the right answer look bad! Also his "views" change too much, being incapable of consistency or strategy. Still, at times he's intuitively channeling something valid that others are unwilling to acknowledge.

I do hope he doesn't completely blow this idea, having failed even to pay attention before. I have to say I wish that more countries were taking somewhat different approaches to the crisis (as S.Korea and Singapore have) so we could learn more about what works best, there being so many unknowns and uncertainties here.
Not sure that Drumpf has the ability to "open businesses" in the US. Individual state governors have a lot of authority, and many of them have shut down businesses and are enforcing it.

Drumpf's only ability is to stand in the way of treatment (and of course, to look like a selfish idiot while doing it).
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 18:09   #675
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo [...] tweeting: "You cannot put a value on human life."
The Dutch value is set at € 60,000 per year.

(I'm sure the NHS has a value somewhere as well).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: