Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How is the COVID virus affecting you?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 22:10   #101
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
then ‘Chicken Licken’ and find a healthy middle ground between the two

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 22:25   #102
Gill Osborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
The sad thing is, those on the right who are so eager to open up the economy or who are not supporting social distancing are the folks who are going to drag all of this stuff out. I do actually believe we can get the current situation under control in a timely manner, but not if you have states like Florida or place like Liberty University that are thumbing there nose at suggestions and allowing Coronavirus to continue spreading. What the hell good does it do me to sit in my apartment for the next month if some idiots elsewhere are just going to keep it circulating and spread it back here.

It just makes me so ANGRY, me putting my life on hold and trying to be a responsible person, when a bunch of fratboys can hang out on a Florida beach and then return to there homes hear with the virus.
Same here! Folk are treating it like a free holiday from work The way things are going we'll be FORCED to stay indoors 24/7 rather than have the relative 'freedom' of choice to go out once a day to exercise. Even some birders are thinking it's a free pass to get in the car and go traipsing off with camera and bins to the local nature reserves. Curtailing a few birding trips for a few months won't kill you but catching the virus just might!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 04:32   #103
litebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
Now here's a Texan causing a storm by saying that old people should sacrifice themselves to save our economy:
I watched that interview live, he said nothing of the sort.

The Texas Lt. Gov. (70 y/o) suggested that at his age there are things worse than dying, among them are the complete ruination of a nation due to the collapse of its economy and the ensuing despair and misery.
He wasn't advocating this thinking for anyone but himself.
Whether one agrees or not, his selflessness is commendable.

Amazing how some of these same linked publications wouldn't bat an eye at a late term or born-alive abortion for any reason, but if a man suggests risking himself for life-long principles he's branded a loon.
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 05:32   #104
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebeam View Post
I watched that interview live, he said nothing of the sort.

The Texas Lt. Gov. (70 y/o) suggested that at his age there are things worse than dying, among them are the complete ruination of a nation due to the collapse of its economy and the ensuing despair and misery.
He wasn't advocating this thinking for anyone but himself.
Whether one agrees or not, his selflessness is commendable.

Amazing how some of these same linked publications wouldn't bat an eye at a late term or born-alive abortion for any reason, but if a man suggests risking himself for life-long principles he's branded a loon.
Yes, but words are cheap, and as a member of the elite there is zero chance that Patrick would ever have to live up to them. As always, it’s the poor—the elderly poor in this case—that would bear the brunt.

Like you, I find late-term abortion—certainly very late-term abortion—problematical. But my impression is that you would illegalise all abortions, early or late, is that correct? If so, that’s where I (along with most other Americans) would part company with you.
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 16:38   #105
tenex

Quote:
The sad thing is, those on the right who are so eager to open up the economy or who are not supporting social distancing are the folks who are going to drag all of this stuff out. I do actually believe we can get the current situation under control in a timely manner, but not if you have states like Florida or place like Liberty University that are thumbing there nose at suggestions and allowing Coronavirus to continue spreading. What the hell good does it do me to sit in my apartment for the next month if some idiots elsewhere are just going to keep it circulating and spread it back here.

It just makes me so ANGRY, me putting my life on hold and trying to be a responsible person, when a bunch of fratboys can hang out on a Florida beach and then return to there homes hear with the virus.
I understand anger in this situation (having my own) but you have things backwards here. It's the misguided (Fergusonian) attempt to suppress/eradicate the virus that's vulnerable to an interconnected world and is actually designed to "drag out" the agony and destruction, potentially over the next year or more.

The virus is spreading much more widely than grossly inadequate testing indicates, so herd immunity is developing, so there's growing hope that we'll only have to get through one wave of hospitalizations. [link] Those fratboys don't look like they're doing their part from one point of view, but may be from another. There's still much we're not sure of.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 07:04   #106
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

What's really been annoying me whilst doing my daily walk exercise and looking out the window, I always see a bunch of kids hanging out together. I'm thinking I don't think they are family they are too close to each other and not standing 2 metres apart or keeping their distance.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 16:41   #107
Mysticete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
I understand anger in this situation (having my own) but you have things backwards here. It's the misguided (Fergusonian) attempt to suppress/eradicate the virus that's vulnerable to an interconnected world and is actually designed to "drag out" the agony and destruction, potentially over the next year or more.

The virus is spreading much more widely than grossly inadequate testing indicates, so herd immunity is developing, so there's growing hope that we'll only have to get through one wave of hospitalizations. [link] Those fratboys don't look like they're doing their part from one point of view, but may be from another. There's still much we're not sure of.
It's never been about eradicating the virus, it's about slowing the rate of transmission down so that hospitals can keep up with the patient load, and to buy more time for more supplies to be mobilized/produced and for widespread testing to take place. As a country we are utterly failing at this, due to our @%@@ healthcare system and inept leadership at the national level. Large swaths of this country are soon going to make the current situations in Spain and Italy seem like a mild case of the sniffles.

Yeah, at some point we are going to need to relax restrictions, but probably not until the end of April at the earliest. Anything earlier is probably going to overload the system.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 18:33   #108
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
It's never been about eradicating the virus, it's about slowing the rate of transmission down so that hospitals can keep up with the patient load, and to buy more time for more supplies to be mobilized/produced and for widespread testing to take place. As a country we are utterly failing at this, due to our @%@@ healthcare system and inept leadership at the national level. Large swaths of this country are soon going to make the current situations in Spain and Italy seem like a mild case of the sniffles.

Yeah, at some point we are going to need to relax restrictions, but probably not until the end of April at the earliest. Anything earlier is probably going to overload the system.
The choices are stark ones: slow-and-easy or let-er-rip, a rock or a hard place. Me, I’m with you in favoring the first as the less likely of the two to lead to truly significant damage to our economy and institutions [Not to mention the sheer brutality of let-er-rip which I find very distasteful.]. The problem is that the first course requires both patience and a long attention span, qualities in short supply not just in the White House but, I very much fear, among the population-at-large.

I have no idea how this will all play out. . ..

Last edited by fugl : Thursday 26th March 2020 at 23:32.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 21:49   #109
Mysticete

Indeed. I am incredibly sympathetic to those that want this to end sooner than later. We are in tough times, and I think this is probably the first time since world war 2 that we have had an event that literally affects directly and immediately every single citizen in this country. I am barely past a month of quarantine, and I am already feeling at wit's end. and every day seems to either bring worst news or new realizations about how things are being affected.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 21:50   #110
litebeam

Quote:
It's never been about eradicating the virus, it's about slowing the rate of transmission down so that hospitals can keep up with the patient load,.... As a country we are utterly failing at this, due to our @%@@ healthcare system and inept leadership at the national level. Large swaths of this country are soon going to make the current situations in Spain and Italy seem like a mild case of the sniffles.

My wife and I were in Mexico in early Feb with my twin sis and her husband before all hell broke loose.
As an ER doc she assured me of two things: We needed to stagger patient load or we would face a profound loss of life; and that we would face dire consequences due to lack of ventilators. She told me these things before any word of this hit the media.
This wasn't a total breakdown of our healthcare system, nor was it a lack of leadership. It's a pandemic and as such we're learning valuable lessons that we've not encountered in 100 years. We'll come away from this far more prepared and with more healthcare-related equipment, masks, vents, etc.
Sadly, New Yorkers as late as this weekend were still selfishly flocking to other northeast states, Long Island...the Florida Keys. I liken many of them to selfish Spring breakers who thought they were invulnerable to this virus.
And as much as the media is loathe to give DJT credit, he's doing a good job overall when he isn't praising himself.
He's done what I expected him (as a businessman) to do, surround himself with the best our system has to offer.

Last edited by litebeam : Friday 27th March 2020 at 01:25.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 22:05   #111
litebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Yes, but words are cheap, and as a member of the elite there is zero chance that Patrick would ever have to live up to them. As always, it’s the poor—the elderly poor in this case—that would bear the brunt.

Like you, I find late-term abortion—certainly very late-term abortion—problematical. But my impression is that you would illegalise all abortions, early or late, is that correct? If so, that’s where I (along with most other Americans) would part company with you.
I honestly can't say if Patrick would live up to them. I admire his devotion to other Americans and hope it's more than talk if he's stating it.
The poor shouldn't suffer at others expense, on that we agree 100%.

RE. abortion, I've shared my personal story in that regard. I believe all life is sacred. I'm not going to preach to any woman who thinks differently, if wouldn't change things anyway. If a woman's life is truly imperiled, I'd defer to the doctors, but again, if my late wife and I did that my daughter wouldn't be here now.
To his credit, Bill Clinton offered 'abortion should be safe, legal and rare.'

Knowing that over 50% of African American babies are aborted in NYC every year is so tragic and anything but rare.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 23:31   #112
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebeam View Post
. To his credit, Bill Clinton offered 'abortion should be safe, legal and rare.'
With that, I can wholeheartedly agree, though with some misgivings about the "rare" part if it's to be taken as licence to put obstacles in the way of a woman's free exercise of her abortion rights. As you know, this has been the game plan of state and local governments in the more conservative parts of the country for decades now with the result that the only "choice" for many women in these jurisdictions--particularly poor women--is to either bring an unwanted baby to term or to resort to the clothes hanger or some other unsafe method of preventing birth.

I'm not angling for the last word here but maybe it's time to return to the coronavirus?

Last edited by fugl : Thursday 26th March 2020 at 23:43.
Old Friday 27th March 2020, 01:16   #113
litebeam

Quote:
...maybe it's time to return to the coronavirus?
Agreed...
Old Friday 27th March 2020, 10:15   #114
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
... maybe it's time to return to the coronavirus?
I'd really rather not return to (or come to, since I've not met it yet) that virus if I can possibly avoid it
Old Friday 27th March 2020, 10:17   #115
andyadcock

Quote:
With that, I can wholeheartedly agree, though with some misgivings about the "rare" part if it's to be taken as licence to put obstacles in the way of a woman's free exercise of her abortion rights. As you know, this has been the game plan of state and local governments in the more conservative parts of the country for decades now with the result that the only "choice" for many women in these jurisdictions--particularly poor women--is to either bring an unwanted baby to term or to resort to the clothes hanger or some other unsafe method of preventing birth.

I'm not angling for the last word here but maybe it's time to return to the coronavirus?
I won't enter in to this, I'm strongly pro life.
Old Friday 27th March 2020, 10:40   #116
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2020

To answer the question in the thread title How is the COVID virus affecting you?

1. I am not going out as I am in a high risk group; the only person I am seeing is OH.
2. My friends and I are keeping each other cheerful with daft quizzes, jokes and memes via WhatsApp
3. My hair is too long. It should have been cut and highlighted on Wednesday. I shall resemble one of the witches in the Scottish play soon.
4. My nails are going to be a mess as I cannot have my three weekly manicure.
5. I wasn't able to see my children for Mother's Day.
6. I won't be able to see my daughter for her birthday in April.
7. I won't be able to see my children for Easter.

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th March 2020, 11:33   #117
Deb Burhinus

Our Prime Minister just tested positive for coronavirus - I find this really unsettling tbh and bit scary in a way - wishing him well - just how widespread is this!? And It’s not even peaked in the UK yet.

(I hope I’m allowed to say that)

nice ‘intervention’ Kits
http://www.osme.org
Old Friday 27th March 2020, 11:39   #118
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
To answer the question in the thread title How is the COVID virus affecting you?

1. I am not going out as I am in a high risk group; the only person I am seeing is OH.
2. My friends and I are keeping each other cheerful with daft quizzes, jokes and memes via WhatsApp
3. My hair is too long. It should have been cut and highlighted on Wednesday. I shall resemble one of the witches in the Scottish play soon.
4. My nails are going to be a mess as I cannot have my three weekly manicure.
5. I wasn't able to see my children for Mother's Day.
6. I won't be able to see my daughter for her birthday in April.
7. I won't be able to see my children for Easter.

best wishes Kits, there is no shortage of daft quizzes etc out there!

*I work from home, so not much change in that respect
*my job is to plan for such events as this, so i'm just much busier now.
*missed the window for a haircut, so my OH shaved it all off, sometime in the next few months i'll find a length that suits me . (It isn't this week!)
*Regular phone calls to family
*daily dog walk
*moth trap in the garden re-starting this weekend hopefully
*found a game on android called "fallout shelter" which is addictive
*trying to find new albums to listen to on play music, late 60's early 70's is proving surprisingly productive so far!
Old Friday 27th March 2020, 11:46   #119
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Just had a text from my dental practice cancelling my appointment (check-up) in July. No reason given but I guess it must be down to the virus. Four months away puts the current three weeks into perspective.

I wouldn't fancy being a dentist at the moment.

Steve
Old Friday 27th March 2020, 11:49   #120
etudiant
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Our Prime Minister just tested positive for coronavirus - I find this really unsettling tbh and bit scary in a way - wishing him well - just how widespread is this!? And It’s not even peaked in the UK yet.

(I hope I’m allowed to say that)

nice ‘intervention’ Kits
Political leaders are surely much more at risk, the job requires lots of close personal discussions as well as extensive public appearances.
The French call these handshaking tours a 'bain de foule', a crowd bath and that illustrates the risk.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th March 2020, 11:55   #121
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Just had a text from my dental practice cancelling my appointment (check-up) in July. No reason given but I guess it must be down to the virus. Four months away puts the current three weeks into perspective.

I wouldn't fancy being a dentist at the moment.

Steve
I had a phone call on Monday cancelling my check up which I should have had yesterday. They have made me a new appointment for 20th July. I wonder if Leicestershire dentists know something that Hampshire dentists don't?

Old Friday 27th March 2020, 12:10   #122
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
best wishes Kits, there is no shortage of daft quizzes etc out there!

*I work from home, so not much change in that respect
*my job is to plan for such events as this, so i'm just much busier now.
*missed the window for a haircut, so my OH shaved it all off, sometime in the next few months i'll find a length that suits me . (It isn't this week!)
*Regular phone calls to family
*daily dog walk
*moth trap in the garden re-starting this weekend hopefully
*found a game on android called "fallout shelter" which is addictive
*trying to find new albums to listen to on play music, late 60's early 70's is proving surprisingly productive so far!

Me too,
had an appointment for a repair to my sofa, that just got cancelled and I've now almost given up hope of receiving a long overdue delivery of books.

Kitchen window birding, nice long views of a Goldcrest in the sunlight as it hunted flies from a conifer.

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 27th March 2020 at 12:13.
Old Friday 27th March 2020, 12:29   #123
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Political leaders are surely much more at risk, the job requires lots of close personal discussions as well as extensive public appearances.
It’s still unsettling when leaders test positive (The Health Secretary too)

All my dental appointments/treatments were cancelled last week and moved to 1 July

I received a text from my Dr Surgery - all appointments will be for telephone consultation only.
http://www.osme.org
Old Friday 27th March 2020, 12:46   #124
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2020

I would be more surprised if leaders and royals didn't test positive, given the number of people they come into contact with. Johnson must be worried in case he has infected his latest (pregnant) squeeze.

Old Friday 27th March 2020, 12:47   #125
dantheman
Bah humbug

Don't know when I last went to the dentist - suspect it was 5 or 6 years ago??

Someone just dropped a printer off for my partner to work from home with next week. Bit of a shame as she only put a new cartridge in our one last week ...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: