• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex vs Meopta (1 Viewer)

Huawei3

Hi there

I am looking for a new spotting scope and found the Meopta Meopro 80 and the vortex viper HD.
My old kowa 884 was stolen and I am looking for a new one up to 1200 €. I know this is a downgrade to my last one, but which one is better?
or the Vortex razor HD 65? is the razor really that much better than the viper HD?

Thanks

Sorry for my english

Hi there

I am looking for a new spotting scope and found the Meopta Meopro 80 and the vortex viper HD.
My old kowa 884 was stolen and I am looking for a new one up to 1200 €. I know this is a downgrade to my last one, but which one is better?
or the Vortex razor HD 65? is the razor really that much better than the viper HD?

Thanks

Sorry for my english
For 1200 euro or thereabouts, go secondhand. Martytwy has a Swaro Ats 65 w/ 20-60ep on the classifieds section here for about that price.

For 1200 euro or thereabouts, go secondhand. Martytwy has a Swaro Ats 65 w/ 20-60ep on the classifieds section here for about that price.

Hi,

I think Martytwy has withdrawn his offer for now due to not being able to ship it in the current circumstances...

But in general it should be quite possible to find a good used alpha scope to buy in person for 1200€... Might have to wait a bit until the crisis is over though...

Joachim, who still has an extra Kowa 613 around - but that is not quite alpha and would be quite a bit cheaper than 1200...

Last edited:
I gave both the new Razor HD 85 and Bushnell Forge 80 a look.
The Bushnell was the better of the 2 in my opinion; very bright, very little CA, nice colour rendition and more than decent sharpness as good as all the way up to its 60x magnification. I thought of it as a very decent and usable scope if you ask me.
The Razor showed some more CA and I was strugling to get good focus, it could have been a less good sample, I don't know.
In Belgium, the Forge sells for around 1200€ I think but It's always better to let your own eyes make the decision and go and test one if you have that possibility.
Never looked through a Meopro HD 80..

Grtz

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back