• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (2 Viewers)

Today saw 34 Marsh Harrier go through the Island.
Also three Booted Eagle, one Common Buzzard and seven Purple heron.
The first Cuckoo was heard and 8 Alpine Swift were logged.
The garden watching is an enormous success and birders are in constant contact with each other. The usual banter ensues which just enhances the pleasure of the whole experience.
There are so many messages though, it’s hard to keep up and watch the birds at the same time.
I faced my usual dilemma today when I saw four raptors circling directly above my apartment. In with them was a bird much larger, an eagle or vulture. I tried to take photos as they were too high to identify and by the time I’d fiddled with my camera, they had departed. I regret not looking at them more but photos have become all-important these days.
Mike

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE ONE- 14TH-21ST APRIL 2000
Here we go and it was all my in-laws fault. My wife and I were married in 1995 and in succeeding years we had one holiday in each summer- but in 1999 our first son Timothy was born, and the in-laws said they had enjoyed some spring holidays in Mallorca- why not go with them next spring with our one year old and stay in the hotel they had used before- the Pollensa Park in Puerto Pollensa. Although not hard-core birders they enjoyed watching birds and had been to somewhere called Albufera on the bus from the hotel.So a bit of research and a copy of the 1999 second edition of Graham Hearl's book showed what wise in-laws I have (they are still with us aged 95 and 86 but locked down- somewhat to their chagrin).
I was then teaching Geography at Kingsthorpe in Northampton and the school had an excellent tradition of a half-day before each big holiday so I was teaching up to 1230 and the taxi to Luton left our house at 1350 with the 5 of us aboard. The check-in was quick and we took off at 1730 on a Britannia Airways flight to Palma. (These accounts will be littered with the names of airlines that no longer span the skies!). Arriving at 2050 local time we disembarked to find a cleaners strike and the airport in a right mess. Then came the scramble to find the right coach in the coach park and enjoy the somewhat roundabout drop-offs at various hotels before arriving at the PoPark at 2230. (on plane and coach we had Timothy on our knees as he was too young to get his own seat, and we had to make sure his buggy got on the right vehicle with us). At the hotel we checked in with lots of others and found we were in room 729- high up on the pool side. It was hot and sweaty and we got into bed quickly- but a strange metromomic teew noise was emanating from the gardens below us and I realised I was hearing a Scops Owl for the first time- of which much more in future episodes.
The next morning all the hassle of the day before was revealed to be worth it as we opened the curtains and took in the view-wow! It helped that it was hot and sunny- but the view round from the bay, across Victoria, Alcudia, the twin peaks and further inland-showed us we were in the right place.
We were on a package tour so ther was the obligatory meeting, but then to Rosa's supermarket for filled rolls for lunch (we always had half-board) and a meeting with Rosa and her daughters Carolina and Sofia who became really good friends over the years. I was allowed out on my own to the Boquer Vally and my first world tick was a Balearic Warbler (still called Marmora's then) at the famous flat area at the end of the valley. A visit to PSWood finished the day nicely- and then there was no by-pass and the Pine Walk had no disturbance.
On Sunday to church at the Anglican group in the Catholic Church meeting the vicar Clive Cooper and his wife- we still have the mug we bought that she had designed for the year 2000. This was a mainly beach day but we ate at the Joker bistro- another place where the staff became friends over the years.
On the Monday we pushed the buggy all the way to the end of the Boquer which was a bit of a struggle, but we got there and the Warblers were still showing occasionally. In the afternoon I went to the Birders' meeting at the Pollentia Hotel in a rather dark but cool room, and met David Wellings who was now leading the meetings instead of Graham Hearl. The bird roll-call was very encouraging but I had not been to most of the places mentioned- and some later sites like La Gola and Son Real were unknown to any of the British birders.
Tuesday-tried to find a car hire place but eventually booked one via the hotel for the next day. Then on to the bus from the stop in front of the Bella Mar apartments to.......Albufera with my father-in law for 200 Pesetas- yes it was that long ago. Highlights were a booming Bittern (the only one I ever heard on the island), a Knot (only record in all my trips) and a Spotted Crake at Bishop One. Good backups were Black-necked Grebe, Whiskered Tern, Flamingo, Pallid Swift and Moustached Warbler. This place was worth many visits (although on a family holiday... not always possible).
On the Wednesday the car turned up- a mark 2 Scenic which was very nice and led to me buying one in Britain. The lady from Hiper seemed to have raised the price from what was agreed the day before so it was haggled back down and we set off. The lady was a bit vague whenever we used Hiper- there were often changes of make or missing child seats but the cars themselves were OK. Now the first place we tried to visit on a hot sunny day was... Formentor lighthouse. Bad mistake- we ended up in a(scenic with a small s) traffic jam and had to turn round and come back. The next day the in-laws looked after Timothy and my wife and I went on the long trek to Salinas de Levante and Cap de Ses Salines. Parking at the Banys there was a Garden Warbler (the only one I ever saw on the island) and the Salinas had Collared Pratincole. Looking over the wall at the right place gave us both S-t and Thekla Larks, and seawatching at the Cap brought a world tick os Cory's(now Scopoli's )Shearwaters and the lovely view across to Cabrera......

Nice report Hugh, which prompted me to look back to my notes for 2000. I was there from 23 May, staying in s'Albufera. I was met by the car company rep at the airport and picked up my 'car' for the trip. The worst car I've ever had there. A Hyundai Atoz - which I christened a Postman Pat van. With it's 1 litre engine it could barely make it uo a slight incline, let along the road through the Tramuntana.
I eventually arrived at s'Albufera after some shopping in Sa Pobla in time to do a quick tour round the hides. I started with a lifer in the form of a Slender-billed Gull plus 3 Whiskered Terns and a good selection of smaller waders. My first night's sleep was accompanied by the sound of Stone Curlew's and Great Reed warblers. I was really there to study the moths and the first night's trapping provided 138 specimens of 55 species, not a bad start. After sorting through the trap I discovered that it was some sort of European ?? day. Lots of media around and I was brought in for interviews and photo sessions, all rather unexpected. After lunch it was time for a little birding and had Little Bittern near the reserve entrance, a Sacred Ibis from CIM (as it then was) hide and the usual Night Heron roost down the main canal (I saw two Sacred Ibis later in the week but they were clearly escapes as one was the Australian race/sp. according to Pere Vicens, then the Parc naturalist). On the Friday I had a second lifer, a Gull-billed Tern. On the Saturday I picked up a distant White-headed duck (one of the last remaining birds after a release programme). By this time it was wet so unpacked my waterproof and went for an early evening walk, which was rewarded by a group of more than a dozen Eleanora's Falcons. On the Sunday had Collared Pratincole flying about over my head as I stood on the bridge over the main canal. Unfortunately my notes stop there, probably because the rains started to bring out more moths and they took up most of my time until I headed back to London on 4 June.

Yesterday was good for raptors with a Black Vulture, Red Kite, Peregrine and several Booted Eagles. A Booted Eagle was harassing the Vulture, the photo shows the size difference. No wonder they call the Vulture a flying barn door!

Attachments

• Red Kite_6903.jpg
    Red Kite_6903.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Black Vulture_7050.jpg
    Black Vulture_7050.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Black Vulture_7066.jpg
    Black Vulture_7066.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Black Vulture-Booted Eagle_7038.jpg
    Black Vulture-Booted Eagle_7038.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 48
  • Booted Eagle_7084.jpg
    Booted Eagle_7084.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 47
Yesterday was good for raptors with a Black Vulture, Red Kite, Peregrine and several Booted Eagles. A Booted Eagle was harassing the Vulture, the photo shows the size difference. No wonder they call the Vulture a flying barn door!

Nice photos Clive and all from your house.

Amazing number of raptors today, mostly Booted Eagles, but also a Red Kite, two Peregrines and a Bonelli’s Eagle (see photos) along with this mystery raptor (last two photos). Does anyone have any idea? Osprey was suggested on the ID forum!

Attachments

• 3D9BE7A9-448E-4199-8E3D-60F80E179019.jpeg
    3D9BE7A9-448E-4199-8E3D-60F80E179019.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 59
  • 61DA6DE2-AA20-4924-B3B4-5BB172CE03E4.jpg
    61DA6DE2-AA20-4924-B3B4-5BB172CE03E4.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 4DB2D91C-E9CF-41EF-A3C0-BF6576CEF9B5.jpeg
    4DB2D91C-E9CF-41EF-A3C0-BF6576CEF9B5.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
SEVENTEEN SPRINGS-EPISODE 2- 21ST-28TH APRIL 2000
Thanks for the kind comments- I did also see the White-headed Duck and the Sacred Ibis at Albufera on my first visit but only the first hovers with a question mark on my Mallorca List.Anyway on Friday 21st the big test for s first time driver on the island- the road to Cuber with the kamikaze cyclists and big drops off the tarmac at the roadside- but we got there although parking was tricky in the steep entranced car park before the Reservoir entrance. The infamous Donkey was there and a helicopter was practising landings on the helipad, but amid all the noise I saw a Spectacled Warbler for the only time in all my trips,and my first Booted Eagle, whilst an Osprey did some spectacular fishing for us.
On the Saturday 22nd I returned the car to our lady friend at Hiper, and rushed to join everyone on the boat from PP to Formentor Beach, where the family stayed whilst I walked in the hot sun to Cases Velles- quite a distance having to avoid the cars but I picked up my first Firecrests and Crossbills, together with a few Spotted Flycatchers which I believe have recently been split fro the ones we get in the UK. Some other birders kindly gave me a lift back to the beach- in those days there were lots of Birding tour parties around and also individual birders- in recent years the numbers seem to have dropped somewhat.
Easter Sunday was on 23rd April- probably the latest date it can be? and I joined about 250 at the church for the resurrection celebration. After that to the Boquer where a Sunbird party had recently arrived and I tagged along as they saw 5 subspecies of Yellow Wagtail including feldegg in the field at the foot of the path up to the finca- and then Black Vultures and Egyptian Vultures in the valley. Slowly returning to the hotel we saw they hired out bikes and my wife and I booked two for the Monday as Grandma kindly volunteered to babysit.
Monday 24th started badly as my wife's bike had a puncture in the hotel car park, but ended really well. We cycled the back lanes of the Albufereta, but the bikes were basic and bumpy and keeping my scope and tripod aboard in the little basket on the front was problematic- but we did find out where the entrance to the Albufereta was and the "limestone pavement" with the orchids, and the mound with the Corn Buntings and Cisticolas chorusing us. Cycling back on the main sea front road was hard work into the wind, but we made it, and then at last in the evening my search for the Scops Owl bore fruit when I realised it was going in and out of a drainage hole on the side of the Uyal Hotel, and perching nearby- and so began my long association with the Scops Owls of the area!
Tuesday 25th saw us all pile on to the bus, plus the buggy and have to stand to Alcudia- I then vowed never to try and go on the bus on Alcudia market day. It always amused me that the official capacity was 44 seated plus 60 standing- on a single-decker! Albufera was trickier trying to keep the whole family happy, but amidst all the various hassles a nice Gull-billed Tern was a life tick.In the evening the Sunbird crew got to see the Scops with the aid of a monster spotlight- I shall not reveal the name of the leader but he was well-known at the time.
Wednesday 26th was our tourist day- we had put ourselves down for a coach tour- The Western Experience- and although the bird list was on hold we saw the mountains again with a stop at Lluc- the monastery with a cashpoint as I remarked in my diary- and respect to the coach driver for avoiding everything else on the roads. We lunched in Port de Soller where my in-laws had had their honeymoon in 1970, and then on a boat trip along the north coast, and back for a ride on the railway to Bunyola where the coach picked us up again. Very touristy I know but it did give us some more views and knowledge of places on the wonderful island that is Mallorca. Even the obligatory stop at the leather shop in Inca was just about bearable- but my wife loved it. In the evening another group from Ribble Bird Tours saw the owls, but rather briefly.
The Thursday 27th was our last full day and it was back to the Boquer and this time meeting a Belfast RSPB group, and seeing the Warblers again. The best bird was however a glorious male Rock Thrush which performed beautifully on the terrace below the finca. In the evening the word had spread and I was able to help 26 birders see the owls- and get a job for whenever I was at the hotel.
Manic packing on the Friday- and eventually on a cool and wet day to the Airport for a flight at 2100- not ideal with a young child, but we got to Luton in pouring rain at 2230 and home at about 0030 on the Saturday.
I am not putting in a list for each year- it would take too lon, but I'll do the overall list right at the end. 2000had revealed 111 species seen plus the Sacred Ibis and another 6 heard only. I was hooked and knew I wanted to return- but not in 2001 as our second son Samuel was born in March, and so we would have to wait untill 2002 for our second visit.

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 3- 23RD-30TH MARCH 2002
THE RAIN IN SPAIN
This year a later departure on a Saturday afternoon with now 6 of us including Samuel at one year old on our laps on plane and coach- and a second airport used as we sped North to East Midlands leaving at 1715 with another name from the list of defunct airlines- Futura International, who were actually based on Mallorca. We arrived in Palma at 2050 and the hotel at 2230- but some cold meats and salad were available. There was a big problem this time- our room. We had been allocated 101 on the basement level right next to the entrance with car and coach noise all hours of day and night. The in-laws were way above in room 733- the 7th floor we had so liked last year. Our room was a"family room" with a cot and small bed as well as our double bed. We found out in later years that there were far better family rooms elsewhere in the hotel.
The first full day was a Sunday- Palm Sunday to be exact, and only I managed to get to the church. Then to the Joker bistro and finally some birding in the Boquer in the afternoon. Displaying Peregrines and the Balearic Warblers in the usual place were highlights before I succumbed to a violent period of stomach cramps over which we must draw a veil. I staggered out in the evening to check on Scops Owls but there was no sight or sound.
On Monday a reunion with Rosa and family at her supermarket was followed by a family day- as a quote I heard about children says- "One's a pet, two are a zoo" and there is a lot of work with them aged 3 and 1, so birding was more restricted- only Booted Eagles showing well near the Boquer were really worth noting.
The room was proving very noisy and difficult for us, so on Tuesday morning a chat with the manager- Pedro 1 ensued. (Not to be confused with Pedro 2 who comes into the story much later). He found a solution which was to move all of us into 2 apartments at the Bella Mar- but the moving took a long time and it was starting to rain. I popped out along the front to what I called "Green Muck River" which is now much better known as La Gola (Sorry Cristina). It was only possible to look from the seafront bridge or wander round the side streets to look in from the side, but the potential was obvious although it was used by locals as a dumping ground in that era of its existence.
All parents will now recognise a night as I now describe- cries of "I feel Sick" from Timothy were followed by the evidence- so a very disturbed night, and I stayed in most of Wednesday with him, but got out in the afternoon- and in the hotel grounds what I first thought was a Wheatear due to the tail pattern- but it was too small and liked perching on the fences round the tennis court. It was a beautiful bird, and it took a couple of years and reading identification articles to realise it was actually a Stonechat of the variegata race-aka Caspian Stonechat- an absolute stunner and I should have taken some pictures but I am afraid that has never been a strength for me. It was still raining on and off and the wind was increasing from the NE- which is always a worrying direction in Spring in Mallorca.
Still, we wanted to go somewhere and on the Thursday all piled onto the bus- paying in euros this time- to discover that Alcudia market had more than one day open in the week. Albufera was as great as ever but the increasing wind and rain became a worry- the best birds being a Marsh Sandpiper and a Black-tailed Godwit. Back on the bus and at the apartment the wind was howling in from the sea- fortunately the bedrooms were on the sheltered side.
Friday 29th was, as my diary says, windy and wet all day, with both the lights and the water supply being intermittent all day, and the path to the main hotel getting deeper with water all the time, as well as water seeping under the full depth lounge window in the apartment. We were certainly seeing a different side of Mallorca to the benign sunny island of our first visit.....

I for one am certainly enjoying your tales from the past Hugh. :t:
This shall be the first year In the last eight,that I shall not be visiting the Island and reading your experiences,certainly helps with the boredom of being stuck Indoors.Please keep them coming ?

Yes, I agree. Nice trips down memory lane.
The first year I came here was 1989 and the first bird I saw was a Black-eared wheatear near the airport.
I thought they must be common but I’ve never seen one since.
Funnily enough, one was reported yesterday I think but I’d like to know more.
Keep those stories coming!
A few Booted eagles have been through today but not much happening where I am. Lots of migrating birds miss off the south-east corner of the Island but at other times, the winds are more favorable.
Mike

Another nice day here, especially for raptors. Several Booted Eagles, a pair of Bonelli's Eagles (different individuals to the one two days ago), two Red Kites, a Kestrel and this Black Kite (surprisingly a garden first!). Also good numbers of Swallows, with the odd Crag and House Martin among them. The highlight of the day though was seeing that the first Woodchat Shrike of Spring is back here!

Attachments

• black kite.jpg
    black kite.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 53
  • woodchat shrike (2).jpg
    woodchat shrike (2).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 45
SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 4- 30TH MARCH TO 6TH APRIL 2002
APRES-MOI LE DELUGE
The middle Saturday was my birthday and the rain relented somewhat so we looked for car hire. Next to Rosa's a man ran a strange mixture of a tourist shop including car hire with a strange mixture of vehicles- equally describable as a mixture of strange vehicles. Altogether it was strange and we ended up with a 6 seater minibus (LOL) called a Piaggio Porter which may have been a 1.3 litre but I suspect had a lower rating- booked for Tues- Thurs. A walk along the front in the still brisk wind included a visit to the farmacia as Timothy now had tummy trouble. There were 300 House Martins at La Gola, but not much else. We went to bed knowing we would lose an hour's sleep as the clocks went forward.
Sunday started with church as normal (Easter Sunday) then lunch at the Joker- and up to the foot of the Boquer where I had 2 world ticks in the same bush! A beautiful male Collared Flycatcher was accompanied by a male Subalpine Warbler- proving that bad weather on Mallorca especially with an Easterly component in the wind direction will bring in the good birds. Marsh Harriers were also migrating North through the Boquer- using the window of better weather that weekend. The Scops Owls were calling very occasionally but had vacated the Uyal that year.
Monday 1st April was cloudy and cool but dry and we had a beach day for the children but the adults were all very well wrapped up as the wind still blew. In the afternoon Susan and I hired bikes again and tried the Llenaire road and the Albufereta back lanes again- but nothing out of the usual was seen.
Tuesday 2nd - and it started to rain again- even heavier than before with the usual NE wind. The car was awaiting us and we all squashed in and set off to the Depuradora but the slab-sided Porter was blown around in the wind and was hard to drive- the steering wheel being well ahead of the front wheels just like the bigger Toyota Spacecruiser that my brother- in-law and I drove from Cambridge to Estartit in one day in 1992. It was worth it however as a lovely pinkish Slender-billed Gull was on show. Incidentally am I the only person who has often heard people in the hides at Albufera misidentify all ages of Black-headed Gull as Slender-billed? we drove to Sa Colonia de San Pere for lunch, and then chose an inland route back to the hotel to avoid being blown off the coast road between Alcudia and PP. It was this storm that deposited tons of vegetation and a stray boat or two along that stretch of Pollensa Bay. At the hotel duck boards were having to be laid to enable movement without paddling, and tons of sand was all over the coast road.
Wednesday was less wet and after discussion we tried to get to Formentor again, and this time succeeded as nearly everyone else was staying in. As we drank hot chocolate in the cafe the heavens opened again- I had time to see 3 Scopoli's before we beat a retreat back to the hotel. That night the wind turned Northerly and even more ferocious- we had to put towels by our lounge window to repel the rain coming in, and a remarkable sight was the swimming pool full of loungers and chairs blown in from poolside and high above from balconies.
Thursday was drier but still very windy, and we took the boys to the Guardia Civil playground. Later my father-in -law and I went to the Depuradora again, but some unkempt boys herding goats near the hide started throwing stones at us and the car, so we beat a retreat- and on reflection that was the only time in my 17 visits when I was worried about my personal safety. It was with some relief I returned to Mr Hireman and gave him back his Pooter, as we had christened it.
Friday 5th April- blue skies and sunny all day- so to the beach, Boquer and packing... as our coach was coming at 0310 the next morning!
And so on the Saturday back to East Midlands landing at 0850 GB time and home by 1100. On checking with friends they said it had been a superb Easter with the best weather for years- and over the years i came to realise that the weather in Mallorca and the UK were nearly always opposites- but anyway- only 97 species this time plus three heard... surely next time the weather couldn't be so bad?..........

Some nice birds there Hugh.
Collared flycatcher is an excellent find as is Slender-billed Gull.
You are quite right about the weather, so often when it’s stormy and raining here, the U.K. is basking in sunshine.
Surely it can’t rain so much the next year?
We await with interest.
Mike

The new Birds of Mallorca is still only available in the UK via NHBC at £34 + p&p, so, while I’m waiting for a less expensive option I’ve found this to feed my Mallorca needs! (A very positive foreword by Michael someone or other). It’s very good.

Stew

Attachments

• E28D3964-A1F4-4136-807A-DC9DA4B7E6DB.jpeg
    E28D3964-A1F4-4136-807A-DC9DA4B7E6DB.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 61
SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 5- 12TH-19TH APRIL 2003
RAPTOR MAGIC
This year's airport is... Birmingham with an 0745 flight needing a very early taxi, and a flight with obsolete airline number 3- Air 2000 (which sounds obsolete already by 2003).We had our hot breakfasts-included as part of the flight then-and landed at PMI at 1115- and to the hotel by 1325. This year no need to change rooms- we hit the jackpot with 820- top floor at the east end of the hotel with a double balcony and enough room for setting up the scope almost permanently and looking down on the bay and the offshore rocks for semi-permanent Shags and Audouin's Gulls. Hello again to Rosa, a beach visit- boys aged now 4 and 2- and later in the night distant Scops calls but not in the hotel area.
Sunday started with a disappointment as we arrived at church for 1000 for the service but it had moved earlier to 0900 so we missed it. The weather was good and the forecast pretty good, so the beach was our main venue and I only had a brief stroll to the foot of the Boquer. A windy night was worrying given the problems of 2002, but Monday was just cloudy with a bit of drizzle. We got to the Boquer but the cloud was low so we had our lunch at the pines, and the rest of the party departed to the beach. At about 1330 the cloud suddenly lifted, and there followed the most magical two hours birding that I have ever experienced on Mallorca. Raptors were passing through the valley constantly, and fortunately a group of birders were on the path just above the finca to see it- including an Irish guy who was tremendous at IDing them all. There were
38 Marsh Harriers
10 Montagu's Harriers
1 Hen Harrier
2 Black Kites
1 Red Kite
2 Peregrines
4 Kestrels
2 Booted Eagles
2 Egyptian Vultures
Tuesday 15th was a family day, and we decided to go on the local bus to Pollensa as we had never been there before. The square was good for cafes, and then we climbed all 365 steps up the Calvario, but I had to push the pram up the parallel road. It was worth it as the view from the top is great, and there were Firecrests and Crossbills in the trees near the chapel at the top.
Wind and rain in the night did not augur well for the next day, so we kept local and tried the beach but had to retreat in the afternoon. Thursday was Albufera day, and we only just got the first bus at 0915. My son was playing with my hat and left it on the bus. Still, the birds were ther including Glossy Ibis for the first time,Collared Pratincole and a Curlew Sandpiper in spring finery. We had lunch at the building site which was the visitor centre being upgraded. Back at the hotel i had a nice surprise as an older couple who had also been on the bus but going to Can Picafort had seen my hat and returned it to me at the evening meal. In the evening we successfully tracked down a calling Scops Owl, this time near the Guardia Civil, and also there were Brian and Heather White from Dorset who became our good friends over the years.
Friday's big bird was another Rock Thrush, and I managed to persuade a couple who had already seen it to keep an eye on the pram and its contents while I popped up to the Finca Boquer to see it.
Early Saurday morning there was a nice surprise in the hotel grounds with a singing Great Reed Warbler but the day was a bit mundane at the market and beach.....

Balcony Birdwatching has been fun and very interesting but I’m struggling to enjoy it as much now. I get distant views of the Castle and Sant Salvador where some raptors pass but they are so distant, it’s very hard to identify many of them. One eagle species and some other raptors I have already had to let go of, and today I saw a group of four birds flying along the coast far away, looking very much like storks. At this time of the year there is the possibility of Black Stork, quite rare here.
I will never know but I guess that is just part of birding. I’m not very good at letting things go though.
One more Alpine swift today taking my total for this year to 12.
There was a thunder storm too which might just augur well for tomorrow. More suffering.
Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back