• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Project topic suggestions needed! (1 Viewer)

Anhinga Watcher

Hi all,

Since I'm a high school student, I have to start my senior project, a 3500-4000 word essay that is very vital for my graduation and diploma. I haven't chosen topics yet, but generally, the topics can be any of your choice, as long as it's specific and provides sufficient information to write a 3500-4000 word paper. I'm particularly interested in wildlife, ecology, and environmental issues. If you guys could suggest me topics regarding with birds, environment, or other wildlife issues such as transitions of migration routes, effects of global warming on birds, etc. that'll be extremely helpful.

So... any suggestions?

Tim

Anhinga Watcher said:
Hi all,

Since I'm a high school student, I have to start my senior project, a 3500-4000 word essay that is very vital for my graduation and diploma. I haven't chosen topics yet, but generally, the topics can be any of your choice, as long as it's specific and provides sufficient information to write a 3500-4000 word paper. I'm particularly interested in wildlife, ecology, and environmental issues. If you guys could suggest me topics regarding with birds, environment, or other wildlife issues such as transitions of migration routes, effects of global warming on birds, etc. that'll be extremely helpful.

So... any suggestions?

Tim

I had to do something similar a couple of years ago and I chose
Ring Necked paakeets - Friend or Pest.

This is an introduced bird in UK which has survived and spread with probably over 20000 individuals here now

The point of the essay was to introduce the subject give background to how this species came to be here, it's original range where else it has spread.
Check the web for reports of nuisance and damage or any incidence of disease related to it. Is it occupying nests made by other birds. or if there is no evidence of current problems or possibility of future problems. Would a cull be needed. Summarise and add own opinions.

I have to say this was to about 3000 words in total.

Web research is fun and you can get hell of a lot of info.

possibly nuclear power v alternative methods might suit. Birdforum an unending source of material but your essay would need to be substantiated with references for your project as in any project you did.

Bush v Kyoto - who's right, another possibility

A few ideas - hope it helps.

Stevie

Since I live in North America (Oregon, to be exact), do you think it's a good idea if I write about whether the starlings and house sparrows are pests or not? Or is it clearly obvious that starlings are just pure nuisance?

Tim

A good topic might be the need for habitat along the entire route of Neo-Tropical migrants such as the Rufous Hummingbirds showing up in Oregon now or the Western Tanagers and Wilson's Warblers that are a month or two away. Good luck. Chris

Hi Tim - House sparrows - thank goodness are I hope going up in numbers and I am thrilled.We have around 40 now visiting our garden .They were in decline.Not a nuisance at all.Super birds.
I also love the Starlings and they are simply great to watch.They sing well too,super mimics.
We have many come into our garden and I am honoured.
Not a nuisance to me or many of the people I know.
It is not clearly obvious at all Tim .I would never write that it is.

Good luck. o:)

Well, the starlings and house sparrows are considered as nuisance in North America, although not in Eurasia.

All these suggestions sound great! :bounce: But I still need more, since I have to write a thesis paper which covers at least 3 topics that I've chosen, and the types of researches I've completed. This is due on 3/7, and I'm trying to start ASAP...

So, any more suggestions or ideas?

Tim

How about Clark's Nutcrackers?

There's some very good study literature on them, try Made for each other, a symbiosys of birds and pines by R. Lanner, ISBN 0-19-508903-0

Global warming could involve Antartica and it's vast penguin colonies. (they need ice)

There's some good stuff out there about Pine Siskins, Evening Grosbeaks, etc. and their wandering migrations in winter. Should include Oregon

All the Great Grey Owls in Minnessota this winter.

Clarke's Nutcrackers (as mentioned prior) have some wacky stuff going on

My main thought though for you would be something more conservation minded. You're living at a time of perhaps great extinctions. You're young enough to understand ideas and perhaps take a stand. Also, when you're old, many birds will be extinct. Don't mean to sound depressing, but it's an interesting time for global diversity. Good luck..........

There was a heated discussion on birdforum not long ago about whether the environment benefits or is damaged by windmills. They clearly do kill birds, but are the numbers significant in comparison to the reduction in greenhouse gases? Or are the CO2 reductions minor in comparison to the carnage? Which is worse from a bird point of view, global warming, or windfarms. Or are there other more significant considerations for windfarms. Lots of opinions, maybe you can find some answers.

Scott

I was thinking about choosing global warming and its effects on birds as one of my topic choices for this project, since it's currently one of the world's most critical issues.

Clark's nutcracker sounds fine too, except I'm not sure if I can use many resources to write a 3500 word paper... I'm required to use at least 15 resources from at least 3 different media. But I can still try.

The Windmill issue sounds like a good one as well. But I'll have to do a lot of researching to find at least 15 sources...

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back