• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Countryfile this evening. (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Anyone been watching Countryfile this evening? Part of that programme was about the legal action taken by Chris Packham and co about banning shooting Magpies and other wildlife and what happened after. It seems to me that the Countryfile presenter on tbe BBC seems to be biased towards people who shoot and control Magpies and other wildlife. I don’t know whether I’m imagining this or not about the BBC. What do others think about this and did anyone else see Countryfile this evening?
Ian.

I do not watch anything from the Biased Broadcasting Company whether it is their coverage of Brexit or Birds. I have not had a license for 20 years and resent the fact that if i have equipment ‘capable of receiving their broadcasts’ then i am potentially a lawbreaker! How presumptuous of them to think that i am not capable of finding alternatives. Their coverage of everything is biased propoganda imho and you would do well to avoid their brainwashing and make up your own mind.....

As for CountryFile they should be highlighting things like raptor persecution and the lack of hirundines due to the year on year loss and tidying of what little habitat remains. If you were to view SpringWatch you would think that the UK was an unspoilt Garden of Eden when in reality increasingly little diversity exists outside of managed nature reserves. If you spend £3 million of taxpayers money in a twee part of the country and selectively film in other areas you will see wildlife but like most of what they do it is false representation of the cossetted La La Land that they live in. If you pay their annual fee then you are funding not only their rubbish but the over-inflated wages of their (mostly) crap presenters.

Packham is one of the good guys but he treads a passionate line and if he wants to be the next Attenborough he needs to toe that line otherwise he will not get the work. Let us hope that he doesn’t end up like national treasure Dave by berating us all for continued habitat loss thru global warming whilst having travelled the World for 65 years, amassing a small fortune in the process, burning lots of Carbon on his public-funded jollies. He also needs to stop telling the Brexit voters that they are ruining the future of those who are still going thru puberty and have yet to pay into the system. I am 62 and feel that i have had over 40 years of my life flushed down the pan but hey i don’t have a stage to pontificate from:C

Talking of stages, i had to laugh when Atto congratulated the assembled middle-class year-gappers down at Glasto on not using a million single-use plastic bottles at this years BBC love-in. It still took a week to clean up the rest of the crap they left though:-O

Back to Magpies. The shooting fraternity kill what they want with impunity. They have no fear of retribution as the Police and Judiciary lack the will to actively pursue and punish their crimes. Arrogant landowners need to be fined and jailed for vicarious liability but please don’t hold your breath. Raptors disappear with monotonous regularity and i for one want this aired by Packam not Magpies.

Rant over and good birding -

Laurie:t:

Last edited:
Anyone been watching Countryfile this evening? Part of that programme was about the legal action taken by Chris Packham and co about banning shooting Magpies and other wildlife and what happened after. It seems to me that the Countryfile presenter on tbe BBC seems to be biased towards people who shoot and control Magpies and other wildlife. I don’t know whether I’m imagining this or not about the BBC. What do others think about this and did anyone else see Countryfile this evening?
Ian.

I did watch the segment in question, it was so annoying I was moved for the first time ever to make an official complaint ,however the complaint bit on their website crashed so I emailed my displeasure to countryfile direct, have heard nothing back.
It was one of the most one-sided things I've ever seen, they spoke about the claimed job losses and farming being thrown into chaos by Wild Justices's action, to support this they produced ONE Farmer who had lost ONE chicken to corvids, he seemed to have a single Larsen Trap, in between this they showed huge flocks of corvids, suggesting that this blokes chicken justified killing hundreds of crows, even though it would have taken him a lifetime with his one trap!!
They had a guy from the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust, who spoke about all the rare birds that needed protecting and yet didn't ask him a single question about Gamebirds, the real reason they want to kill predators.
Mark Avery had about 20% of the segment with those on the other side given the rest ,amongst who I include Natural England who frankly are a disgrace. For a Government agency supposedly set up to protect wildlife they seem to be an organisation that exists to allow anyone who wants to, to kill as much wildlife as they want.With very little checks as to whether or not it's justified or Necessary .

As already stated the BBC is the Biased Broadcasting Company and are a busted flush - i would not give them a penny of my money or the steam off a turd:C

In the past i have worked with Estate Workers and Wardens when Natural England was the Nature Conservancy Council - the current morph bears no relation to the one i knew - they are errand boys for corporate interests too bizzy ushering Arabs, Oligarchs and othe money-launderers around our ‘natural’ landscape (that’s a joke) in order to shoot introduced or artificially-reared native species:C

I do not believe the RSPB to be much better imho they lack the teeth and Kahunas for a fight and if you are not prepared to fight to protect wildlife then it is game over i’m afraid.....

Laurie -

I didn't watch it but you must be talking about Tom Heap who is so obviously biased it is beyond belief, I call him Sir Tom of Sh#t.

I was talking generally but i am familiar with Tom Heap-of-Crap, he gets a bit of mileage out of the BBC with Countryfile and Radio 4’s Costing The Earth. He has little or no experience in what he presents imo and has worked his way thru the BBC as all these ppl do by variations of nepotism - thank God i haven’t contributed to slackers like this for over 20 years:t:

Laurie -

Countryfile can get near to the bone with its views at times, and can be very controversial (one sided) to the watching public in the way it handles various subjects.

I wish that more articles about the endless persecution of BoP's was spoken about on Countryfile. It is a on-going issue that has continued for years.
What I want to know is why the subject being kept in the dark, (away from the public eye) and protected like it is - it should be spoken about on a regular basis. It needs to be said loud and clear that it is against the law to kill any wildlife, and treat it as is a crime - and to the people who cause the issues they need to be exposed for the law breakers that they are
The same applies to Badger culling, Fox hunting, Hare Coursing - this is the news I want to hear about - not if TB is found in a presenter's herd of cattle because it is not relevant to other more important issues for the viewing public.

Tom Heep is okay because he has covered some illegal hunting on other TV programmes and very well too - but to me it is Adam who I feel is the person who is in the wrong job here

Countryfile should be more varied to keep the audience watching - even I have got to point the Countryfile does not do it for me anymore now - sadly.

Countryfile talked about TB and Badgers over the years, and this wound me up at the start - but now Countryfile has toned it down - no more blaming the Badgers thank goodness - as there is no proof that they are the carriers of TB!!!! in the first place :C - Adam once more here

I want good solid information about the issues that are going on now on Countryfile, and that is what Countryfile should be doing - not protecting certain parties from doing harm to our wildlife.

I hope the Countryfile is reading these posts because they need to improve their programme to go with the times

Last edited:
Tom Heep was given the job as a BBC environmental correspondent with nothing more than an ‘interest’ in the countryside and contacts at the BBC. The programme consistently punches well below its weight and is underwhelmingly boring imho. Real issues are never mentioned and ‘real’ concerned naturalists like Bill Oddie and Chris Packham either leave or are neutered and merely smile and present. Why on Earth the Beeb think they need Mikhala who has to be ferried from South Africa or the terminally awful Kate Humble (who has done very nicely thank you) is beyond me - but hey i have not paid a BBC licence for 20 years and do not watch a thing live. I cannot remember the last time I watched anything that was current news due to its biased coverage. We now have Attenborough banging on about how Brexit is a bigger threat than global warming so the Beeb doesn’t mind personal views as long as it reflects the Lefty, Remain, Establishment view of their World.

This country is rapidly losing its biological diversity. Farming is gradually destroying what is left. Raptors are shot with impunity with powerful landowners protected by a cosy alliance of the Police, Judiciary and Establishment. All the BBC can do is say how twee and nice things are.

The real World in all aspects lies outside the BBC - don’t fund it and don’t watch it would be my advice:t:

Laurie -

The real World in all aspects lies outside the BBC - don’t fund it and don’t watch it would be my advice:t:
For someone who doesn't pay for the BBC and claims not to watch it you seem to have an awful lot to say about it. Obsessed much? I suggest you stick to the Telegraph.

I used to pay so i can still have a say -

Carry on being a brainwashed Muppet, the BBC loves people like you:-O

I am 63, I have a lot to say - about everything.

Something the BBC and obviously people like you are not happy about.

I have been accused of being self-opinionated...

What is the point in having somebody elses?

Somebody like you for example.

I suggest you stick The Telegraph.

Laurie -

Last edited:
I have a lot to say because i remember when a lot of the stuff was worth watching. Generally speaking the natural history stuff is but if anybody thinks that CountryFile and its Z-list presenters are representative of the dire state of the British countryside then they are in cloud-cuckoo-land. The BBC refuses to address serious issues that concern people instead just window-dress everything.

That is why i go to places like Southern Spain to get quality birdwatching - sadly i don’t own a house there...

Laurie:t:

I agree with Laurie & would add that the BBC is a propaganda m/c a long with the rest of main stream media who have been brainwashing the public for decades.

No one likes to admit they've been conned & their first reaction to my statement above is denial they need to believe they live in a democracy.

No one likes to admit they've been conned & their first reaction to my statement above is denial they need to believe they live in a democracy.

"I didn't watch it but you must be talking about Tom Heap who is so obviously biased it is beyond belief, I call him Sir Tom of Sh#t."

Fair enough, but why the thinly disguised profanity? What is one supposed to perceive from that about the writer, enlighten me. Personally, it just negates anything worthwhile that I may have considered in either of Parker's posts.

P.

( Comfortably Dumb )

Last edited:
Positive short article on Cirl Buntings just now. Charity spokesperson suggested now over 1,000 pairs down in the South West. I mistakenly thought that at their lowest count in the 1980s, it was down to just a handle of pairs but she quoted a much higher figure.

"I didn't watch it but you must be talking about Tom Heap who is so obviously biased it is beyond belief, I call him Sir Tom of Sh#t."

Fair enough, but why the thinly disguised profanity? What is one supposed to perceive from that about the writer, enlighten me. Personally, it just negates anything worthwhile that I may have considered in either of Parker's posts.

P.

( Comfortably Dumb )

You can take from it whatever you like, as you obviously have! However to judge someone's opinions because of a play on words formed into a dig at T Heap is a little extreme. Notice I avoided insulting you.

Thank you Neil. My last two words you refer to were also a play on words and referred to my status, not aimed at you as you've incorrectly assumed.
P

Thank you Neil. My last two words you refer to were also a play on words and referred to my status, not aimed at you as you've incorrectly assumed.
P

My mistake P but I'm sure you can see why I thought it was aimed at me with what's written under my username.

Anyway no damage done, good birding.

Just for the record you don't come across as dumb.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back