• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid-price binoculars recommendation (1 Viewer)

SzimiStyle

The Shorebird Addict
I have used different binoculars of the top brands in the past but for a variety of reasons I need to 'down'grade(?) a bit. I have been looking for high-performing alternatives on a much lower price tag than the Zeiss Victory SF, Leicas or the Swarovision (always the 10x models).

I'm doing my very confusing research but wonder what you would think about it and advise me to look at. Nikon HG? Non-high end Zeisses, Leicas or Swarovskis? Celestron? KOWA Genesis? Budget is between £600-1,200.

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback.

Last edited:
SzimiS,

It sounds a really unfortunate dilemma.

It's never easy to see things through someone else's eyes, but there are very good binoculars out there at sub-alpha prices. It just depends on your priorities. I had considered the Monarch HD lacklustre but the samples on the stand at last year's Birdfair where definitely up a notch. The discontinuation of the EDG might just be a coincidence. The Kowa Genesis is the king of contrast and CA. Newer models are better on colour but the 10.5x44 is worth a look if you are OK with the weight. I was a big fan of the unusually light Vortex Razor HD 10x50 when it was made in Japan. Make up your own mind on the Chinese assembled version. I really like their new UHD but probably over budget. If you are not over sensitive to CA the Kite Bonelli 2.0 is worth a look too. The Conquest HD has a lot of fans. I like the Meostar 10x42 HD a lot but the lower priced Meoptas do a fine job too. Before you get too far down the road it might be worth popping over to Luton and have a look at what Opticron have to offer. They might just have something to tick your particular boxes at a more reasonable price.

Good luck,

David

Last edited:
I have used different binoculars of the top brands in the past but for a variety of reasons I need to 'down'grade(?) a bit. I have been looking for high-performing alternatives on a much lower price tag than the Zeiss Victory SF, Leicas or the Swarovision (always the 10x models).

I'm doing my very confusing research but wonder what you would think about it and advise me to look at. Nikon HG? Non-high end Zeisses, Leicas or Swarovskis? Celestron? KOWA Genesis? Budget is between £600-1,200.

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback.

Hi,

I have a Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42 as David mentioned. A VERY nice binocular. It generally does all the right things and has more FOV than the average 10X42. I can certainly recommend it. I have a Monarch HG in 8X42. The 10X42 has a good following as well. It too has more than average FOV for a 10X42. I don't see how you could go wrong with either.

Hi,

I have a Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42 as David mentioned. A VERY nice binocular. It generally does all the right things and has more FOV than the average 10X42. I can certainly recommend it. I have a Monarch HG in 8X42. The 10X42 has a good following as well. It too has more than average FOV for a 10X42. I don't see how you could go wrong with either.

This is quite an odd post, on a Vortex subforum, but none of their models are being mentioned.

I do agree with Chuck, as having both the Zeiss Conquest HD and the Monarch HG, I like them both.

Vortex does not enter into my wants or needs in any way.

Jerry

Two to consider are the Vortex Razor HD and the Meopta MeoPro Air HDED (new for 2020). They both sell for $1000 and are well made and provide superior optics. The Meopta have greater eye relief and the Vortex focusing distance is 3.5 feet closer than with the Meopta.
The people at birdwatching.com are quite experienced and helpful and they have the best prices. Worth checking out their website and their various binocular reviews and advice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back