• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flat multicoating & Argon (1 Viewer)

Spartan J

I have not seen the term Flat Multicoating before.Is it something new or just a different name for a current process ? Argon instead of nitrogen, good bad or indifferent?

"Flat Multi-coating" is the marketing term that Vixen uses for its best 7-layer anti-reflection multi-coating (not something new). The chart on page 4 of the Vixen catalogue below shows why they call it flat, or more accurately claim that it's flat. If you believe the chart Vixen's Flat Multi-coating allows for perfectly linear 99.9% transmission at each glass to air surface over nearly the entire visible spectrum. That would be about half the loss of transmission at each surface compared to anybody else's multi-coating.

The other two curves in the chart could be pretty accurate for those coatings matched with a single glass type of just the right refractive index, but I've got my doubts about the accuracy of that straight brown line at the bottom, even with a perfect glass match.

Attachments

• DSC_0779.jpeg
    DSC_0779.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
"Flat Multi-coating" is the marketing term that Vixen uses for its best 7-layer anti-reflection multi-coating (not something new). The chart on page 4 of the Vixen catalogue below shows why they call it flat, or more accurately claim that it's flat. If you believe the chart Vixen's Flat Multi-coating allows for perfectly linear 99.9% transmission at each glass to air surface over nearly the entire visible spectrum. That would be about half the loss of transmission at each surface compared to anybody else's multi-coating.

The other two curves in the chart could be pretty accurate for those coatings matched with a single glass type of just the right refractive index, but I've got my doubts about the accuracy of that straight brown line at the bottom, even with a perfect glass match.

Good advertising need not be accurate, or even meaningful; it need only be believed. More binoculars are sold based on the laws of advertising than the laws of optics. :cat:

Bill

The idea is Nitrogen and Argon are both inert gases. In binoculars it’s used to purge moisture and not having oxygen likely keeps the internals from oxidation. In my scuba dry suit argon gives about twice the insulation as air. In my binoculars, I can’t tell the difference.

... only 7layers in the coating?!
Not sure if I’ve seen many “non flat” coatings, sure I could make some some with a paintbrush and some stuff from the cupboard under the stairs.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back