• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coronavirus and the launch of the Zeiss SF 32mm (1 Viewer)

The trick with humor is making sure the other person recognizes it. Most often I find that I'm being too subtle and they don't. Gijs's post is interesting as the only occasion I can easily recall when I missed a joke myself and had started to compose a didactic reply, despite all those CAPS and general outrageousness. This is not a normal time. Good luck to all, and stay safe.

………….... Policy in our country is a controlled rate of infection so that in the end the majority of the population is protected and prevents further spreading of the virus.
Gijs van Ginkel

That's probably the most sensible solution as long as there is a way to select those who are least prone to develop critical levels of the disease. So, maybe, the fact that many young people don't seem to care all that much, thus continuing to gather for private parties, are not all that stupid after all? Just how could they then be kept from spreading the virus to their parents etc.?

As a biologist I can only concur with Lee that "We live in interesting times."

But as Binastro, I also feel I'd still like to have a few more years for birding etc. Thus I also agree with his conclusion that "I don't fancy volunteering personally to reduce the world's population, even though we have about three times too many people on our fragile Earth."

Last edited:
Interesting times indeed. Fortunately this is not the Spanish Flu, with "bodies stacked like cordwood"; most cases seem to be relatively mild. I'm very curious to see how long citizens of democracies will put up with the kinds of restrictions now being contemplated or put in place, and at what socioeconomic cost, mostly for the benefit of the sick and/or elderly. (There's an awkward cost/benefit conversation waiting to happen here.)

A UK forecast estimated deaths numbering 250,000 if additional measures were not introduced, hence the social isolation announced for the over 70s which it is hoped might reduce fatalities to 20,000. How they model the likely behaviour of people in order to arrive at these figures would be interesting to know.

Lee

A UK forecast estimated deaths numbering 250,000 if additional measures were not introduced, hence the social isolation announced for the over 70s which it is hoped might reduce fatalities to 20,000. How they model the likely behaviour of people in order to arrive at these figures would be interesting to know.

This is the paper:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

It seems to me the so-called scientific advice previously given to the PM was highly questionable, and in contradiction with what every other country was advising. It’s good the government realized this and revised their plans. The right way to acquire herd immunity is through vaccination, not the laissez-faire propagation of a highly infectious live virus.

Last edited:
I thought this was about the impact on the launch, availibity and trying out the Zeiss SF 32mm? There are two other threads discussing COVID - 19 .

I thought this was about the impact on the launch, availibity and trying out the Zeiss SF 32mm? There are two other threads discussing COVID - 19 .

Indeed, nobody is preventing you from discussing the SF32. Do you have any opinions to share?

Edmund

Indeed, nobody is preventing you from discussing the SF32. Do you have any opinions to share?
Edmund

In regard to the original post a quick check of some independant UK retailers suggests that soon they may well be closed for a lengthy period following government guidelines. Looking at the logistics one wonders how the orders will actually reach the stockists and if anyone will be available to receive them? Who is going to sign for them? It's slightly different leaving out a few pairs of Zeiss outside on the doorstep, rather than a bag of online groceries.
Also, are Zeiss in full production run at the factories? Doubt it, if workers have to stay or are isolating at home.

Personally I doubt that there will be any outlets or events come May, demonstrating the new SF 32. If you desperately need to look through a pair, then you're going to have to purchase on line (paid for upfront) and cross your fingers. Also, you're only going to be able to use them from your house if you follow suggestions. Another thought, will any retailers be able to survive a few months of severely reduced cash flow?

That's enough for now Edmund- what do you think?

I guess Zeiss will be none to happy if this is the seminal optics thread on the coronavirus subject. Although there will probably be bigger worries down the line.

Maybe the thread should be split or title made more generalised?

In any case I imagine the typo in the thread title should be corrected at some point? ;)

#coronevirus #cronavirus #coronovirus

In regard to the original post a quick check of some independant UK retailers suggests that soon they may well be closed for a lengthy period following government guidelines. Looking at the logistics one wonders how the orders will actually reach the stockists and if anyone will be available to receive them? Who is going to sign for them? It's slightly different leaving out a few pairs of Zeiss outside on the doorstep, rather than a bag of online groceries.
Also, are Zeiss in full production run at the factories? Doubt it, if workers have to stay or are isolating at home.

Personally I doubt that there will be any outlets or events come May, demonstrating the new SF 32. If you desperately need to look through a pair, then you're going to have to purchase on line (paid for upfront) and cross your fingers. Also, you're only going to be able to use them from your house if you follow suggestions. Another thought, will any retailers be able to survive a few months of severely reduced cash flow?

That's enough for now Edmund- what do you think?

The latest info I have is that in Lahn-Dill District in which Wetzlar is situated (Wetzlar being the city where SF32 is being produced) has a total of only 10 coronavirus cases out of a population of 254,164. Of course this can quickly change but at the moment it would seem Zeiss Wetzlar is OK.

Addendum: a spokesman for Zeiss has confirmed that production of SF 32 is ramping up as planned.

Lee

Last edited:
Interesting times indeed. Fortunately this is not the Spanish Flu, with "bodies stacked like cordwood"; most cases seem to be relatively mild. I'm very curious to see how long citizens of democracies will put up with the kinds of restrictions now being contemplated or put in place, and at what socioeconomic cost, mostly for the benefit of the sick and/or elderly. (There's an awkward cost/benefit conversation waiting to happen here.)

So you advocate the 'Logan's Run' model of society do you? The current situation will indeed be very testing. It will also show whether the greed and selfishness prevalent in modern society has killed off altruism and consideration for others altogether. I truly hope that you and your family find your way through this unscathed. You did ask for it!

RB

Last edited:
The latest info I have is that in Lahn-Dill District in which Wetzlar is situated (Wetzlar being the city where SF32 is being produced) has a total of only 10 coronavirus cases out of a population of 254,164.

Just keep in mind with all these numbers, and that goes everywhere, is that the number of cases is underreported by a factor 10 or so, and it is the situation from a week ago due to the long incubation period, another factor 10 increase has already happened in the meantime. 10 known cases now likely means there are currently actually 1000 infections and there will be 10,000 next week.

If I did buy an 8x32 SF, it is my policy to leave parcels outside for several hours or preferably 3 days.
I wonder whether it would still be there.

I would ask the vendor to put it in a bag marked Laundry with the binocular wrapped in some vests and a few shirts to increase the chances.

B.

Thanks for mentioning that. You could have provided links. I found one:
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=386949

So you advocate the 'Logan's Run' model of society do you? The current situation will indeed be very testing. It will also show whether the greed and selfishness prevalent in modern society has killed off altruism and consideration for others altogether. I truly hope that you and your family find your way through this unscathed. You did ask for it!
Yes, I suppose I did... but you clearly don't have it. (Did you see me "advocate" anything?) Thanks for your good wishes though.

Apparently serious conversation works no better than joking about it.

Last edited:
If I did buy an 8x32 SF, it is my policy to leave parcels outside for several hours or preferably 3 days.
I wonder whether it would still be there.

I would ask the vendor to put it in a bag marked Laundry with the binocular wrapped in some vests and a few shirts to increase the chances.

B.

Don't know what govmt recommendations are but I think a combination of quarantine and disinfection would work.

ie misting an appropriate bleach solution (think I recall a tablespoon? in a quart of water), or other disinfectant on the offending item, carefully moving the bag/container to a safe place indoors with disposable gloves or even kitchen roll, then whatever quarantine you feel happy with. Disinfecting outside door handles as you go etc etc.

Obviously some of it is going to seem silly, but tiny risks can multiply up to bigger risks over time (eg 2 - 18 months).

If in the vulnerable demographic essentially the main (only?) line of defence is just not to get it ....

My main line of defence is just not to get it.

But to stop panic buying, I suppose that those who want an 8x32 SF are limited to 4 units.

I remember rationing in the 1940s.
For some reason we had a large number of bags of sugar that lasted for many years. Maybe that was more readily available.

We had a goat and chickens in our town garden.

I think that rationing needs to be brought in fast for loo rolls, kitchen towels etc.

B.

I can picture it now, someone inside their dwelling who cannot wait to get their hands on the new SF is watching a stopwatch while the parcel sits outside.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back