• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BVI lizards id help please (1 Viewer)

Isurus

If anyone can tell me where to locate a list of the herptofauna of the virgin islands I'd be grateful. Alternatively if you can put names to any of the faces below I'd be even more grateful. These were all taken on Tortola and I apologise if there are any species duplicated - these all look like different species (or at least genders) to me.

skinky thing?
187564145_ca05a5ef30.jpg

anolis thing #1?
187562303_7fa9d09632.jpg

anolis thing #2? (this one seemed to have primative colour change abilities)
187564845_7db8db5290.jpg

erm?
187566305_b9ed4529d2.jpg

another anolis?
187562541_97b8746afe.jpg

Photo 1: More likely to be some species in the Ameiva family rather than skinks, my best guess would be Ameiva exsul.

Photo 2: I would say Anolis cristatellus, at least the tail shapes looks like the one of this species, and colouration can apparently varies a bit from Island to Island. Subspecies Anolis cristatellus wileyae it should be and by looking at photos on the web aim 100% that it’s this species.

Photo 3: I really have no idea if I have got this id correct, but by looking at photos of Anolis krugi at the net it seems to have a wide colouration range, from pale yellow to dusk grey, I havent found any photos which looks quite like yours but male Anolis krugi do have the same "skin crest" running over its neck and back. So male Anolis krugi is a likely one.

Photo 4 and 5: I think they both looks like females of Anolis pulchellus or Anolis cristatellus, hard to tell which species as they looks very much the same and the pattern to variate much.

These two links is very good, give you lists of most Caribean reptiles

http://evo.bio.psu.edu/caribherp/lists/wi-list.htm

Caribbean Anole Database, however it miss some species and therefore the caribherp site is good as a addition, I used these lists much during my visit to Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti etc years ago.
http://www.homestead.com/anolis/

Great photos by the way :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back