• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild Bird Trade (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Some of you may remember that some time ago I urged you to write to your MPs about the temporary wild bird trade ban and to urge that it ought to be made permanent. You may be interested in the folowing info on the RSPB site
http://www.rspb.org.uk/policy/wildbirdslaw/news/thousandssaved.asp

I did write and I know one or two others took the time to do so as well. I did get a full reply from my MP and also the minister for 'wotsits' whose name escapes me. This is one of these things on which the final decision rests with the European Parliament (do we decide owt for ourselves these days,oh yes we can go to war can't we. Although even that probably rests with the like of GWB!!!) but never the less I still reckon every voice counts on these matters.

Cheers

Hi Brian,
Thanks for highlighting this issue & updating us.
The results from the USA permanant ban should carry a lot of weight. I dont see how they could decline the petition.
Fingers crossed

Hi Brian Coukldnt agree more we need to keep this ban in place at all costs. What a pity it took the fear of bird flue to make the politicians do something, it was not an interest in the birds just their usual self preservation fears kicking in. As the risk still exists I guess that will be the driving factor in their decision making.
Ill certainly put my name in again but dont think politians of any description or nationality ever take any notice of the people they are supposed to represent, it seems once elected they all just forget why they are there and just follow their own mindsets regardless.

Yours Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back