• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa/Meopta/Vortex Test (1 Viewer)

John Russell

Holger Merlitz has just published a very interesting comparative review (in English) of the Kowa 8,5x44 Prominar XD, the Meopta 8x42 Meostar B1 and the Vortex 8x42 Razor on his website.

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/kowa85x44.html

Interesting test. I am glad to have finally heard more of the Kowa which does not seem to get much mention here on the forum. The Meopta and Razor scored as I would have expected them to. I am glad both are also getting more attention as I think they are both underrated on the net.

John,

Other than you, I and Chartwell not many others have had the privelege of owning and commenting on the Meopta. Maybe now they will deserve further examination from some of the other binocular "collectors". ;)

Last edited:
John,
Other than you, I and Chartwell not many others have had the privelege of owning and commenting on the Meopta. Maybe now they will deserve further examination from some of the other binocular "collectors". ;)

Yes, Frank, it's nice to see one's impressions confirmed by an acknowledged expert isn't it?

John;)

My Meostar 8x42s actually weight just a hair under 31 oz. Yes, I know still heavy compared to many of the mid-low priced 8x42s and the high end 8x32s but the view is definitely worth it. I often wondered what the optical similarity was between them and my Nikon Venturers. The field flattening element would explain it.

After some further thought today on what I read in his review about the differences in resolution between the three bins I wonder how much we could chalk up to the 8x versus 8.5x. I do not seem to remember him commenting on it much if at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back