• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juv. Alpine Accentor, Catalunya? (1 Viewer)

pandachris

I'd like it to be but the brown on the crown makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Things against - voice - only heard it make a single call, several times, that was not un-Dunnocky.
Too much brown on the crown?
There were Dunnocks nearby (there were also Red-billed Choughs, and I've no doubt that this is not a Chough, so maybe that's irrelevant).

These were taken about 10 days ago from the view point a short distance west of Saldes on the side of Pedraforca - fantastic place.

Attachments

• IMG_3262.jpg
    IMG_3262.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3266.jpg
    IMG_3266.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Thanks. Worth a try anyway. I can't recall seeing a Dunnock with that combination of yellow lower mandible and much darker upper mandible, but perhaps that's because I just don't look all that hard at Dunnocks :)

Thanks. Worth a try anyway. I can't recall seeing a Dunnock with that combination of yellow lower mandible and much darker upper mandible, but perhaps that's because I just don't look all that hard at Dunnocks :)

the yellow you can see is inside its gape

I've had the chance to look at all the photos and looks like you're right. I can only see yellow on the one with the open beak, though I thought I saw it in the field.

While we're on the topic of alpine accentor, could anyone confirm from this rather shoddy pic that this is one? I saw it at the castle of Baux de Provence in January of 2007. I was essentially sure at the time, but I've never asked anyone to confirm it.

Scott

Attachments

• Alpine accentor2 20071231 346.jpg
    Alpine accentor2 20071231 346.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 114
With that colouration on back, flanks and head you can feel safe with alpine accentor, Cavan Wood. Confirmed IMO.

But this threads first photos is a dunnock

While we're on the topic of alpine accentor, could anyone confirm from this rather shoddy pic that this is one? I saw it at the castle of Baux de Provence in January of 2007. I was essentially sure at the time, but I've never asked anyone to confirm it.

Scott

Agree with Alpine Accentor for this one.

This is the best pic taken by me with a AA (National Park Retezat, Romania, summer 2009). A few hours after taking this one I saw another AA very close - but the lens on the camera was a zoom for landscape...

Attachments

• P7289555m.jpg
    P7289555m.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back